Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 01-24-2003, 06:08 AM   #1
drift_newbie
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
drift_newbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
kyb gr2's for auto-x?

Okay, I really want to do the agx, but my budget fits the gr-2's better. Does anyone have any experience with these shocks? (BTW, my car is a '89 rps13, if that helps.)

Thanks,
-ben
Old 01-24-2003, 07:52 AM   #2
240 2NR
Zilvia FREAK!

240 2NR is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're running an otherwise stock suspension, they'll be fine. With lower ride height or stiffer springs, you'll likely run into problems with them as they are not really designed for either.

If you thik you'll be upgrading soon, then I think it would be better to wait a little longer and save the money. AGX's may cost more, but they cost less than if you buy a set of gr-2's first and realize they won't meet your needs.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:19 AM   #3
drift_newbie
Leaky Injector

drift_newbie is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks

I'll probably go ahead and get them. Since I auto-x in stock class, I can't lower the car or change springs and stay legal, so I guess they should work fine for me.

Thanks again,
-ben
Old 01-29-2003, 04:26 PM   #4
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
FWIW: KA powered S13 fastbacks would be RMS13s It should say so on the firewall tag.

Also: I ran GR2's for the second half of the Auto-X season last summer after I blew a Koni, and they managed to hold up decently. I'd rather have working Koni's or AGX's though (getting AGX's before the next season's start).
Old 01-30-2003, 07:01 AM   #5
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

HippoSleek is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd go the opposite way if I was in stock class. If you are going to run stickers, you NEED better shocks. If you're not running R compounds, I'm guessing you are not competitive yet? (I don't mean that in a negative way - it takes years to get there)

Still - even if I weren't competitive, adjustible shocks are extremely helpful in autox b/c they allow stability in transitions (where rebound becomes very important). Personally, I'd save for the AGXs in any case.
HippoSleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 12:08 PM   #6
tnord
Nissanaholic!

tnord is an unknown quantity at this point
are your shocks blown? if not, there's no reason to get the GR2's, as they're meant to be an OEM replacement. you won't get much (if any) performance benefits from these......so i'm with mark......save up for the AGX's.
tnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 04:24 AM   #7
lVll2. S14
Leaky Injector

lVll2. S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
s14

ive blown 2 sets of rear shocks alrdy.....tokico blues and a pair of kyb gr2s...can anyone give me a theory as to y?....i do have a custom enclosure in the back which is composed of fiberglass so that might be a little heavy.....i only using the stock springs its on an s14
lVll2. S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 11:11 AM   #8
tnord
Nissanaholic!

tnord is an unknown quantity at this point
improper install.
tnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 11:38 PM   #9
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
TNord's got a point. I've been using stock rear shocks with Sportlines and a heavy ass sub enclosure and they still have some gas in 'em (no pun intended... really).
Old 02-02-2003, 06:18 AM   #10
adey
Post Whore!

adey is an unknown quantity at this point
I've heard that AGXs weren't meant to be run with springs that lower more than a v. conservative amount. Is there any truth to that, and if so/not, what kind of shock life would you see with lowered (1"+) springs?

Again, I have no experience with anything other than blown stock shocks and my coilovers, but this is the only thing so far that I've heard that DOESN'T praise AGXs like they're the god of all shock absorbers.
What's the deal?
Old 02-02-2003, 01:45 PM   #11
240racer
Zilvia Junkie

240racer is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think anybody here is saying the AGX shocks are bad, but they are also accepting that they aren't the best either. Everybody sould know simply by the price of the shocks that they are not the best you can get. However, they are better then OEM including the gr2's. They are also adjstable, and while they may not have the best adjustment system or range or resolution, they are adjustable nonetheless.

The reason you can't run the AGX's with really low springs is because the overall dimensions of the shock are still the same as OEM. That means if you lower the car you don't have much room for travel before the shock itself bottoms. Basically it means that the shock shaft isn't in the middle (or even close) of it's travel. If you modified the shock to make it more in the middle of it's travel, then it would be okay. That's the main problem with lowering a car when the manufactur and designers didn't intend to. The stock body race cars usually have completly different suspension under the body even though all it looks like they did was lower it.

'88 Celica All-Trac turbo
stock, but no more ecu codes!!
240racer is offline   Reply With Quote