Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
Josch

Trader Rating: (0)
Josch is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Suggestions about moving forward

I currently have a 1jz non vvti with a r154.
My plan is to drop it in my car when I have all the parts ( still need a fmic, oil cooler, radiator, stand alone, wiring harness also I'll be replacing water and oil pump along with a timing belt).

I recently have a new family member ( baby boy) so my car funds kind of went south because well priorities are to my family first. My question is should I sell the 1jz + r154 combo and use that money towards a complete swap for cheaper such as a rb20det and with the left over cash buy the other things needed such as the breather mods? Or should I just rough it out and finish this build when I have the money to throw out at it. At this point I just really want to get the car moving so I can actually enjoy it rather than it siting in the garage waiting. I've noticed that a lot of places are selling rb stuff now so it's really not hard to get parts like it use to.

Any replies are welcome both good and bad I know it's a beat horse question.
Josch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #2
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I'm in the same boat with my fc...do the math, weigh the differences and go for it!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
Josch

Trader Rating: (0)
Josch is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For the amount I can get for the 1jz I can have a running s30 with the rb 20 ... That's the part that's killing me lol. I listed the jz for sale just going to see if I can get what I want for it if not then it's not meant to be. But it's so tempting haha
Josch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #4
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Big boy pants!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #5
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I would sell the car and any associated parts before I sold my 1J and bought an Rb20...

As you stated, car funds have dropped and realistically speaking, they aren't going to be around for awhile. A non running car isn't worth much to a new father and his family.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I say you're on the right track.

Post the JZ for sale and IF you get enough money to buy all the parts needed to have a running RB 240, I'll do it.

As you said, family comes first. I'm not saying it will happen to you, but the longer the car sits unfinished, the less likely you'll actually finish it. Then we'll see it in the for sale section.