Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
Tyler_240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Tyler_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
S13 SR20 Timing Issue w/ pics

FIXED

I know, another timing thread...I've read, and read some more, and there are some very good threads out there, but i'm still confused as to what's up with my timing. I really appreciate any advice.

I picked this motor up from a 2nd or 3rd owner who knows nothing about its history. Clearly, someone replaced the HG and installed new head studs in it, maybe even a full rebuild.

Car idles at 850, but lopes a bit, like its got cams, and I can get it into timing mode, but the CAS is all the way advanced at 15* BTDC using the #1 Cylinder Spark Wire. It runs like poo poo, like the timing is retarded a bit, makes boost but has no getty up. I've tried restabbing the CAS, but no change.

Based on everything I've read, the links are lined up correctly and the #1 Cylinder is at TDC with both lobes facing out. The #1 Intake Lobe is facing outward and slightly up and the #1 exhaust lobe is facing outward but slightly down??

I'm no expert, but is the exhaust cam off a tooth? From everything I've read, it seems the dowel should be at 12o'clock?

Last edited by Tyler_240; 07-01-2018 at 06:47 AM..
Tyler_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
in for help as well, mine runs like shit but i figured it out to be an injector problem.
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #3
Tyler_240
Zilvia Member

66 views...come on guys, help me get another 240 back on the road

After doing even more research, I believe both Intake and Exhaust Cams are 1 link off....it would be great if someone could confirm...

I'm going to verify that the Crank Pulley when set to the 2nd Mark from the Left is truly TDC and attempt to adjust each cam counter-clockwise a tooth. This should keep the same number of rollers (20) and links (11) between both cams...it would seem both lobes would be equally pointed < > and my CAS would then be sitting in the middle and not off towards the firewall...

It seems that others have been successful in zip tying the chain to one cam sprocket, removing the tensioner and guide, and unbolt the cam caps...dip the front of the cam towards the front cover and that should allow me to rotate the cam counter-clockwise a tooth....bolt cam back down and then repeat for the other side....I plan to rotate the engine by hand afterwards very carefully to verify...

Anyone got any further advice or guidance?
Old 01-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
Tyler_240
Zilvia Member

Just wanted to confirm that the procedure i posted above seemed to correct the issue.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
position the two first lobes for cylinder number one away from each other, nearly perfectly 180* apart facing outwards away from the engine.

Then install the chain with the correct number of links between the dots on the camshaft gears. Then you can stab the CAS and verify the dots line up and that the CAS is mostly center. If the CAS is off-center slightly this is normal. But it should NOT be fully adjusted one way or the other.

be aware when timing the engine that most timing pickups are directional. Make sure you turn the pickup backwards and try both ways. The "pickup" is the plastic connector for the wire on the coilpack. There is usually an arrow, but do not use the arrow, simply reverse it (try it both ways) one way will give you a 15* BTDC setting with the CAS NEARLY centered, the other way will be the wrong way and the CAS will be wayy away from center. Time the engine with the TPS disconnected so the timing does not jump around.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #6
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It looks like tensioner and cas weren't installed in the correct order. The slack was then taken back up after a few degrees. Glad you got it sorted![emoji41]

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:47 AM   #7
Tyler_240
Zilvia Member

Thanks guys. Its unbelievable how f'd up this motor was when i pulled it from the other car.

No Carrier Bearing Bracket on parts car, Rear Main Seal Retainer plate was cracked + bad seal, Oil Pickup Tube had no Gasket, MAF Sensor was jacked, MAF Intake tube was like 2" from turbo, speedo wired up wrong, O2 Sensor was nowhere to be found, Dipstick Missing but located tube in car, and of course the timing chain being off a link.

I'm just thankful to get it worked out. Picking up a MegasquirtPNP at the end of the month and shooting for 18psi. Will be my first trip down 300hp+ lane and I'm stoked.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #8
240knockout
Zilvia Addict

240knockout is an unknown quantity at this point
what did you pay for engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_240 View Post
Thanks guys. Its unbelievable how f'd up this motor was when i pulled it from the other car.

No Carrier Bearing Bracket on parts car, Rear Main Seal Retainer plate was cracked + bad seal, Oil Pickup Tube had no Gasket, MAF Sensor was jacked, MAF Intake tube was like 2" from turbo, speedo wired up wrong, O2 Sensor was nowhere to be found, Dipstick Missing but located tube in car, and of course the timing chain being off a link.

I'm just thankful to get it worked out. Picking up a MegasquirtPNP at the end of the month and shooting for 18psi. Will be my first trip down 300hp+ lane and I'm stoked.
240knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #9
Tyler_240
Zilvia Member

i got the car for $1900, 5spd hatchback, redtop engine w/ tranny, gutted interior, missing all of interior panels and a badly damaged shell, missing 1 quarter window but of all things, it had a mint black dashboard.

it had what appeared to be a brand new GT2860RS .86, Greddy FMIC, Fake Greddy Intake, Unknown brand coilovers and a few suspension arms, on stock steelies with bald tires...

shell had a title, but it had issues...i swapped everything over to an auto s13

it was risky because no one knew if the motor had popped or not...it likely would have if i didnt find that oil strainer gasket was missing and replaced it