Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
AJZax
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
AJZax is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
SR Relentless Performance Twin Scroll SR20 turbo manifold review

Greetings budget twin scroll hunters!
I was about to fork the money for a full-race or DOC race. I ran into this, and scored it for cheap! I was a little weary, but looking at design and materials used and weld quality in pictures I thought I'd give it a whirl.

To sum it up I'm very impressed.

You all are probably worried about the dyno. So we'll start with that.
583hp 467tq (obviously measured at the wheel)
Notice it approaches 8k rpms the tq levels to what it's at around 4k rpms.

28psi

This setup is crazy responsive. I was very nervous that it would be laggy. This is more responsive than a friends GTX28 setup, believe it or not. The Transient response is insane. At about 2,500rpms the car scoots more than my g35. (showing low end tq).

I'm very impressed with this manifold and will be buying one for my daily driver as well, and a couple friends are also going to switch to this. A magic setup would be this with a GTX3071r. You'll have more response than a GT2871 setup and more tq/power everywhere.

That's the car. Pro Am car for seattle (evergreen drift) pro am. Don't mind the lonestar pro am banner, just to troll on people haha. Have to switch it at the season start :/ lol

RS-Enthalpy ECU, dynotuned by badass tuner, Martin. By the way, the mail order rom tune he sent me didn't need adjusting on the dyno..... Just so you know how spot on he is with his romtunes. And he does dynotuning (obviously). He flies around the states doing this. I arrange his NW dynotuning days so hit me up if you're interested.

And no a standalone wouldn't let us get any more power. lol
We had an AEM car with a 2.4L SR throw down 440whp. and less tq than me at the same power level. (my old setup did 440whp at 15psi).

BY THE WAY, this setup we did 466whp at 15psi. This manifold is very efficient (and so is the engine).
We managed to set it up where we are barely getting more than 10whp per 1lb/min of compressor flow. The GTX76mm compressor wheel with .6a/r maxes out at 58lbs/min. We got just over 580whp. So we were excited! The SR is setup awesome. We pulled the same hp and tq as a built KAT with a full race EFR setup (if you're on the KAT forums).

ENOUGH babbeling. Details on the manifold.

I felt inside, the seams between pieces is very smooth and not what you find on cheap manifolds. The welds look very good and I had them inspected by a couple specialty welders (fabrication shop and a welder by trade), and I also am a novice welder. The welds look great, and they use a scedule 40 piping. Which is very heavy duty. Same crap expensive manifolds are made of.

Notice how smooth the interior side of the collector is, the introduction angle and finish on the inside is outstanding, and not at all I expected for the price.

All flanges are flat and seal, no leaks. I fits on without an filing or annoying stuff.

The wastegate is merged with a divider to retain twin scroll. (look, full race isn't even divided for some reason, and neither is DOC race I was blown away)

I'm using an MVS 38mm tial wastegate on this, and a GTX3076r with a custom .82 A/R exhaust housing.

With the money saved (like $1k HAHA) I got a silver techline or cerakoat or something I don't even remember haha.

Here is how it fits without a turbo. Doesn't hit or hinder any fittings to the block or get in the way of anything. It's outstanding! My street car will get this manifold and I'll update if AC fits with it

You can see that they similarly copied full-race runner paths. From an engineering background, I am pleased with this manifold.

Everything fits awesome. I'm very pleased. I have so much transient response, I'm really thoroughly impressed. Kudos to GTX series turbo, twin scroll, martins tuning at RS Enthalpy my team setting up the car without restrictions properly. The engine setup and this whole setup jive perfect. Usable powerband is actually from around 4500-8000. IDK why that dynosheet seems like it stops before 8k, as that's where the redline actually is set. With this kind of power and tq out of our baby 2L we have the means to really dial some grip in for that 5/8ths bank against all our 2jz and LSx NW pro am guys! Should be an awesome season! Transient response is the part I'm most excited about.

Engine
87mm 9:1 stock stroke
Fully worked over highport head with 270cams and oversized valves.
Freddy intake manifold port matched &blended. Small restrictions have been taken care of appropriately.
Any specific questions feel free to hit me up on facebook.
facebook.com/ajdrift

No I'm not sponsored by XSPower/relentless performance. Just stoked on how well it turned out for the money and letting people know. It's not worth sponsorship duties for a manifold that's so cheap -_- haha. I definitely do not feel I took a short cut with this!

Yes this is on an N62 MAF. (stock housing, no customization to MAF).

Happy 2015 season guys!

image hosting over 10mb
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
Choppz

Trader Rating: (0)
Choppz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Great review. Cool car.
Choppz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Do you have a dyno pull from a lower RPM?
You don't have AC or power steering?
Old 02-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
AJZax
Leaky Injector

Power steering reservoir is bolted by boost control solenoid by the brakes.

No saved samples from super low RPM, sorry.
My best "feel" example is at 2500rpms it starts pulling harder than my G35 (VQ tq).
So it has a good powerband and the whole thing is setup to be efficient from 4500-8000

Next time I'm at the dyno I'll post up the 15psi pull we made 466whp I believe. roughyl 470 whatever haha.

Thanks guys! Got some stuff to clean up and new angle kit I'm finishing up R&D and 2015 season we roll!
Old 02-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
wurley
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (16)
wurley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
466whp at 15psi?! where are you having it tuned at?
wurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
tougefactory
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (27)
tougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
What fuel is this on?

For all the latest TF★ news visit our blog!!

tougefactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:09 AM   #7
AJZax
Leaky Injector

Thunderbolt Race Fuel E85. True 85% ethanol.
Same company matt coffman uses, and a big name in formula d is switching to, I just can't say yet.

Yeah the setup flows very efficiently allowing us to make nice power at lower boost pressure. Really helps a lot with transient response having it setup that way.

We are tuning in Port Orchard, WA. Martin Struk the owner and tuner for RS-Enthalpy flew up and dynotuned it for me. He's an amazing tuner. I always recommend him for any tuning. Legitimately the most knowledgeable car guy I've ever met, even after talking to engineers, shop owners etc.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:35 AM   #8
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurley View Post
466whp at 15psi?! where are you having it tuned at?
I think the car needs to be run on a better calibrated dyno too, because i do not believe that number either. Not with e85, not with a rom tune, not at 15psi. Not with race fuel and custom mapping either. 500crank HP on an SR with 15psi ? Nope.

We have some people over here too, that supposedly drive 700hp AWD GTR monsters. They usually end up left in the dust against an a true 450HP RB25 RPS13.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #9
fullthrottle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
fullthrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I think you did a review for a company that is no longer in business lol
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #10
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
I think the car needs to be run on a better calibrated dyno too, because i do not believe that number either. Not with e85, not with a rom tune, not at 15psi. Not with race fuel and custom mapping either. 500crank HP on an SR with 15psi ? Nope.
Not to be disrespectful, but before you make a statement like that, you need to do your due diligence on the turbo at hand.

Below is a compressor map of the GTX3076R and at 2 bar PR (around 14 psi). At this PR, the compressor is flowing about 410 or so Lbs/min of air (which typically equates to 1lbs/min = 1 WHP). Higher RPM moves the island readings to the right. In addition, the head seems to be fairly heavily massaged, so that just solidifies the fact that this engine will flow a fairly significant amount of CFM throughout the entire powerband (meaning, more power at low boost pressures)

Essentially, this setup is VERY easily capable of flowing 466 WHP at 15psi. Especially considering the fact that this thing is capable of revving to 8k (peak power is at around 7-7200 RPM)

Also, maybe your understanding is a little "off", but the gentleman above asked where did he have it tuned, NOT "ZOMG, Dyno incalbration ahlahlh overload!" You really need to lay off your assumed meaning of a statement that is made.............

RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:58 PM   #11
AJZax
Leaky Injector

Not to revive.
But yes head 270 tomei cams and dual valvesprings, brass guides, opened up ports to accomodate oversized +1mm valves and port matching everywhere, The radiuses in bends of piping are larger/gradual bends. 3.5" smooth bend exhaust.
9:1 compression bottom end.

4th gear, 18psi tire pressure BFgoodrich 255s, zero camber, and kinematics plotted and calibrated to chassis roll under load. Even tire wear. Unmodified S14 anti-squat geometry. Pretty high grip. Breaks loose VERY easy. No clutch kicks necessary. Just breaks loose at 4700ish.
Our dynojet reads lower than another local dynojet.

3rd gear, at 15psi same story, 4500 breaks loose not even at full throttle. same suspension. All damper full soft, no sway bars btw.

Just wanted to share my results. I was VERY pleased with manifold quality for the price and thought I'd share. Since it's rare we can spend lower amounts and end up with high quality. Take it or leave it, just putting it out there for first hand experience.