Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Bought used forged pistons, need insight

I need some input. I bought a set CP pistons and they aren't exactly "Perfect" like the seller told me they were... I got them for less than half what the cost new with rods, but I don't know if this damage is fixable or acceptable...

Scratches around rings

Nick in valve relief

Scratched/nicked edge

Dent in edge

Another dented edge

Somewhat deep scratches on the top of the piston

Gnarly wear below rings

What do you guys think? They seem pretty beat up for only having a few hundred miles on them, or at least thats the mileage I was told they have...
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Hoonigan19
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Hoonigan19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
best you can probably do is smoothen out those rough edges with a sand paper 2000 grit with soap water . JUST enough so it dont scratch up your cylinder..... dont try to sand too much so its "gone" . cause that will just change the structure there...

otherwise buy new ones....
Hoonigan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #3
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonigan19 View Post
best you can probably do is smoothen out those rough edges with a sand paper 2000 grit with soap water . JUST enough so it dont scratch up your cylinder..... dont try to sand too much so its "gone" . cause that will just change the structure there...

otherwise buy new ones....
2k grit will do nothing to those Pistons.
Looks like the motor had detonation and they tried to sand it out. I would be extremely weary to run them.
The Pistons I pulled out of a few hundred mile motor I bought looked new with slight carbon on them, skirts and edges showed no wear. Those Pistons look beaten.

We can all banter all day about what we think, you need to take those Pistons to a machinist and have him tell you what he thinks.