Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
Dempseybe
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Dempseybe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice on buying a rebuilt SR20DET

Ok, so a few weeks ago my KA24DE finally gave out. But that's ok because I've been wanting to do a SR20DET swap.

Background of me though:
I'm new to the 240 community, my knowledge is a bit below average about 240s especially JDM motors. My knowledge of mechanic criteria is about average, now I've never tore an engine completely down before so I wouldn't know what I'm looking at. I'm currently learning on my old KA but I don't yet trust myself with trying to take apart an entire SR long block.

So the SR I'm looking to purchase has been rebuilt by the owner, gaskets and bearings. But also he has put in Brian Crower stage 2 head kit, valves, springs, retainers & 264 cams, HKS cam gears, and it's fitted with a Garret T23 turbo.He told me the cams needs adjusting, his asking price is 2k. Should I send it to a machine shop to have them do a complete tear down and check everything out? Or just get the cans and timing redone. Or possibly stay away from the entire thing
Dempseybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #2
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send it to performance engine builder to tear part and put it together.
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Lmao.

Sounds like a troll
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
Dempseybe
Leaky Injector

No troll I swear. Ok, I'll send it off. I wanted a second opinion
Old 01-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #5
Dempseybe
Leaky Injector

I wanted a second opinion because I'm not sure if these are very temperamental motors that require a lot of knowledge to build and should have a paid professional recheck everything. Or if some random dude bro in a garage could build one and not worry
Old 01-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #6
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
The only SRs I like to buy are 1) if I know/trust the seller or there is a documented trail of work performed. Or 2) stock motors that have never been opened up or touched internally.

I personally would never bother with something someone has touched, esp if it "just" needs XYZ to run right. If it's so simple, why hasn't the seller done it?
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
Dempseybe
Leaky Injector

He had it running in his 240 for track purposes but ran out of money on the whole build. His other 240 has a stock sr20 in it that he daily drives. He said this one would be too powerful to daily. Not as reliable
Old 01-06-2016, 03:00 AM   #8
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Lol not with a t23 or t25 or even t28.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:35 AM   #9
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempseybe View Post
I wanted a second opinion because I'm not sure if these are very temperamental motors that require a lot of knowledge to build and should have a paid professional recheck everything. Or if some random dude bro in a garage could build one and not worry

EVERY engine is temperamental about its clearances, the SR is no exception. Frankly i would not buy a built engine that does not come from a known tuner, with a receipt (and even then, i would not buy one that has done less than 1000 miles, and i want to see it running in person before ...) It comes at a price of course.

Dude built it in the garage and is selling it ? Stay away, it means he knows he did some bad crap. You don't sell a built SR for 2K when that is barely the price of rods and pistons.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:37 AM   #10
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempseybe View Post
He had it running in his 240 for track purposes but ran out of money on the whole build. His other 240 has a stock sr20 in it that he daily drives. He said this one would be too powerful to daily. Not as reliable
He is full of shit. A built SR with a T28, not reliable ? What a joke ... that is the standard turbo on these engines ...
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:21 AM   #11
cbeuglas
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
cbeuglas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Don't do it. Buy one from a reputable shop. I only paid $2200 shipped to my house. It was a full package and had a start warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
cbeuglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #12
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Zilva has gotten a lot of new members that have bought other people's problems. Fact! This could be you!

I would normally say make your own decisions, but this case right here i would tell you to walk or run! Or drive the price down so ridiculously, he would have let you walk. And if there is an inkling of negotiations in his eye's? Or an Emoji used during texting?
You now know your are getting beat for sure.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #13
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Hey, I just "built" an SR that I'll sell to you for $2k. Don't mind that hole in the block, it's for weight savings...
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #14
Rusker
Zilvia Junkie

Rusker is on a distinguished road
Stay away from this. I'd walk away from this deal if I were you.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:30 PM   #15
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Lots of variables. If he decided to build an SR that was in perfect condition prior to the build, it is probably fine.

Did he bother to replace the piston rings?
Did he gap them correctly?
Also, ask why he decided to throw new bearings at it. If its because it spun a rod bearing (or worse, a main bearing, and yes it happens), look/ask for information that indicates the crank was cut and rebalanced as an entire rotating assembly.

The crank, rods & pistons, harmonic balancer, and flywheel (entire rotating assembly) must be rebalanced IF:

a) The crank is cut to remove damaged bearing surface
b) The OEM supplied harmonic balancer is replaced with an unbalanced/aftermarket unit
c) Aftermarket pistons/rods are used

Very important step, and often overlooked by most guys who decide to build these engines. Can't just slap it together and go. Even if your ring gaps are perfect, even if your bearing tolerances are perfect, cams are timed and set perfect; an out of balance rotating assembly WILL fail. The engine will continue to spit bearings. Link below is for reference.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/140...ng-assemblies/

Additionally, using aggressive clutches (usually of the unsprung variety) for clutch kicking & daily use will place undue strain on the thrust bearings and cause them to wear prematurely, which causes crank walk. And you guessed it, will cause main or rod bearing failure over long term use.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #16
Dempseybe
Leaky Injector

Hey everyone thanks for the replies! Yea it does sound too good to be true! So I'll just buy a stock SR from a reputable shop.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #17
Dempseybe
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bataangpinoy View Post
Lots of variables. If he decided to build an SR that was in perfect condition prior to the build, it is probably fine.

Did he bother to replace the piston rings?
Did he gap them correctly?
Also, ask why he decided to throw new bearings at it. If its because it spun a rod bearing (or worse, a main bearing, and yes it happens), look/ask for information that indicates the crank was cut and rebalanced as an entire rotating assembly.

The crank, rods & pistons, harmonic balancer, and flywheel (entire rotating assembly) must be rebalanced IF:

a) The crank is cut to remove damaged bearing surface
b) The OEM supplied harmonic balancer is replaced with an unbalanced/aftermarket unit
c) Aftermarket pistons/rods are used

Very important step, and often overlooked by most guys who decide to build these engines. Can't just slap it together and go. Even if your ring gaps are perfect, even if your bearing tolerances are perfect, cams are timed and set perfect; an out of balance rotating assembly WILL fail. The engine will continue to spit bearings. Link below is for reference.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/140...ng-assemblies/

Additionally, using aggressive clutches (usually of the unsprung variety) for clutch kicking & daily use will place undue strain on the thrust bearings and cause them to wear prematurely, which causes crank walk. And you guessed it, will cause main or rod bearing failure over long term use.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll definitely put that in mind when having whichever SR I end up buying
Old 02-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #18
SarcastaBall
Leaky Injector

SarcastaBall is an unknown quantity at this point
This is all great advice, and will aid me in my search to buy a 240. I always skip the cars where the pics on CL show a concrete car port with an engine block sitting on it.
SarcastaBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #19
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
The only SRs I like to buy are 1) if I know/trust the seller or there is a documented trail of work performed. Or 2) stock motors that have never been opened up or touched internally.

I personally would never bother with something someone has touched, esp if it "just" needs XYZ to run right. If it's so simple, why hasn't the seller done it?
This is the truth
I went to check out a car that just needed X to work right, so i brought X with me and installed it on the car only to find it also needed a Y and maybe a Z..

if it was so easy they would have done it already in pursuit of a quicker and more $$$ sale
And if they say they were too lazy to get around to it, what else were they too lazy to get around to doing ya know

I always see that as a red flag though im sure theres exception to the rule, i just wouldnt bank on it
SOunds like hes luring you in with the googly eye factor
kyral is offline   Reply With Quote