Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
opticnerv

Trader Rating: (0)
opticnerv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HOW TO : Flock Dashboard give it the suede look

I bought my car for 500 bucks no engine but a full interior, the only problem was the person kinda took the interior apart and painted everything with black spray paint. The most annoying part is that he spray painted the dashboard black as if that alone would fix the cracks. I decided to flock the dashboard. I got all the supplies from donjer flocking DonJer Flocking Fibers Supplies Suede-Tex Soft Flock Rayon Nylon Spray Applicators Kits Adhesive Cars Decoys Rods .

I ordered:

1 pound of nylon suede-tex ( you may be able to get away with less I ordered alot because I'm going to flock other parts too)

8oz of black undercoat adhesive

1 Mini flocker

Before you can begin flocking you need to seal up any cracks.
To seal the cracks I sanded the cracks down to make them flush with the surface. It is absolutely neccesary to seal cracks because they will show.

To Seal the cracks I used bondo. I bought a small small project pack for 7 bucks at pep boys. Mix the bondo like the instructions Then go ahead and fill the cracks. the bondo gets stiff really fast so work quick. Let the bondo dry for 20 minutes. Then Sand the surfaces smooth.

Now for the flocking process I had more pictures but the god dammed iphones pictures keep dissapearing when I plug it into the computer. The instructions are simple though. Clean the surface. apply the adhesive with a paintroller you have to work quick though and DONT miss any spots with the adhessive. fill the mini flocker half way and start pumping it !! its better if you have two people going at it because trust me it's harder than rubbing one out. after that don't touch it for 24hours just to be safe. It takes 72 hours to fully cure but within 24hours you can handle it.

Hope you enjoy. I searched google for any write ups on how to flock a dashboard but found nothing I hope this helps someone.

I will post an in car picture after I figure out my electrical problem and get the car running. Thanks for reading !!
opticnerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
rsibley22
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
rsibley22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
oh what! new dash celebrate!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
Koopa Troopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
Koopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Koopa Troopa
Awesome man, thanks for the write up.

Buy my Stillway shifter!

Koopa Troopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Jakob
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
great! i love it if you can do things like that yourself
Jakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
southerncross
Leaky Injector

southerncross is an unknown quantity at this point
holy crap, ive never even heard of that stuff. thats pretty neat man. i have 3 spare dashes that are cracked to hell, i may have to try this after seeing your post.
southerncross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
ohhsnap...good job...

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
allntrlundrgrnd
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (17)
allntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
hell yeah i was seriously waiting on someone to do this to their dash and explain it.

props to you brotha i'll prob be attempting this in the summer
allntrlundrgrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Hmm. I might be one muthr flockin dude since I got me a nice crack in my dash. Good info.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
damn... now I'm getting the itch to do my dashboard. though I think I rather use actual suede material. looks good though.

take some higher quality shots of the dash. would like to see how it truly looks.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
yea they did this on z31performance and also my friend has it on his subie

http://z31performance.com/forum/view...=a&hilit=flock

Quote:
Well i have a 95 240 and i like my cars low... But my parents don't like my wheels tilted

Last edited by lazysk8er2; 05-04-2009 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: added link
lazysk8er2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
zugoi
Zilvia Junkie

zugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to behold
I was thinking of either doing what your doing or just to the cheap super glue and baking soda repair.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
that's pretty badass man
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
opticnerv

This is in my opinion a lot easier than any other repair method for dashboards I don't really have to take a higher res picture because honestly its so fuzzy you cant really appreciate the texture in a picture.

Some advantages :
Anti-Glare
Cheap
Looks A+
Feels like pussy
Old 05-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
TravisSW
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
TravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TravisSW
What kind of pussy have you handled opticnerv? That's almost disturbing. haha

I wonder how it fairs against the heat, would it make the car hotter or would it have no affect?

I want to do this to my green s14 dash.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #15
opticnerv

You have to feel this and you will agree !! haha They sell the green flock and green adhesive. I actually asked my self the same question, I also wondered if it would change the interiors acoustics. When I get my electrical problem figured out I will install the dash and let you all know how it looks.

If anyone could help I posted me Electrical problem here :
http://zilvia.net/f/engine-tech/2546...l-i-think.html
Old 05-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #16
mehsilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
mehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Holy Hell thats shit looks great. And its CHEAP!

I just might have to get some and screw around with it.

It claims to be fade/weather/outdoor resistant, so im sure a dash would hold up just fine.

I can see it now, doing doorpanels, center consoles, radio trim, etc . . .

Thanks for the link & info on it.
mehsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #17
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Chris, I'm feeling the same way after reading the Z31 thread. Let's have a flocking party!

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #18
landins13
Zilvia Addict

landins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choices
thats pretty awesome not gonna lie, if my dash was cracked id totally do this, i kinda want to either way.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #19
Banegraphix
Leaky Injector

Banegraphix is an unknown quantity at this point
Haha I did this to door panel inserts on my old Hachi except it was alot easier due to working as a screen printer we have the electrically charged flock wands what size fibers did you use I used a 1 mil red fiber which was pretty cool fealing on the old elbows when driving haha. Good job that turned out pretty well
Banegraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #20
opticnerv

Those wands are a lot of money I'm not really sure what size fibers they are, they didn't specify, but it does feel really nice. I screen print too !
Old 05-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #21
Banegraphix
Leaky Injector

Banegraphix is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea there not cheap we also have the M&R in head flocker which is pretty cool for multi color flock designs. I love teaching the junior press operators how to use the wand cause of course I have to be a dick and tell them to hold the pallet while flocking haha. You can hear that zap from across the shop
Banegraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #22
mehsilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
mehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
Chris, I'm feeling the same way after reading the Z31 thread. Let's have a flocking party!
That might be a good idea! We will chat about it.
mehsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #23
ryguy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
ryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banegraphix View Post
Haha I did this to door panel inserts on my old Hachi except it was alot easier due to working as a screen printer we have the electrically charged flock wands what size fibers did you use I used a 1 mil red fiber which was pretty cool fealing on the old elbows when driving haha. Good job that turned out pretty well
How does this stand up to elbows? Does it rub off after a long time? My door panels need attention, since my attempt at upholstery is beginning to fail.

ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #24
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
looks like a home made batman costume
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #25
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
my e30 seats are taking a toll i wonder if they are good for sidebolsters on seats lol 24 year od leather vs me = rippage

Quote:
Well i have a 95 240 and i like my cars low... But my parents don't like my wheels tilted
Old 05-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #26
iRONDONkey
Zilvia Junkie

iRONDONkey is on a distinguished road
good job though. looks hella clean.
iRONDONkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #27
reccakun08
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
reccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
nicely done u going to do the door panels as well?
reccakun08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #28
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
I thought about this.
Or use duvatine on the dash.

then i saw the amount of dirt on the dash after the last event.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #29
opticnerv

yeah the center console thingy is getting flocked and the door cards
Old 05-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #30
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
do they make that nylon suede in dark BLUE?
If they do hell im ganna do it, but ima use plastic fillers instead of body filler.
89 240sx hatch #933-the hot rod
91 240sx coupe #131,603-the daily
s13dan is offline   Reply With Quote