Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-22-2007, 11:35 PM   #31
Aoshi112
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Aoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aoshi112
Quote:
Originally Posted by keioffice View Post
so they are saying that koni shocks are better than any of the japanese coilovers??? that doesnt make sense.
Pretty much. If you actually read the rest of Dennis Grant's page you'd understand why.
Aoshi112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #32
Aoshi112
Zilvia Addict

Aoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by x'ed View Post
like which ones?
10. Shocks that adjusted rebound and compression in lockstep, but had so much compression that backing them down to reasonable levels made rebound way too soft (very common with the Japanese brands like GAB, JIC, Tein, etc)

I posted this in another thread but i'll post it again:

Where there's no Bilstein fitment and Penskes are too expensive, Konis are usually perfectly adaquate. They are, by far, the best budget shock and better than any of the crap coming out of Japan. JIC, GAB, Tokiko, Tein - synonyms for "crap".

-Jason
Old 08-23-2007, 05:27 AM   #33
AceInHole
Autox Technician

Trader Rating: (0)
AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by keioffice View Post
so they are saying that koni shocks are better than any of the japanese coilovers??? that doesnt make sense.
It makes perfect sense. Koni has been in the racing game for close to 50 years, with a lot of involvement in F1.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:30 AM   #34
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
I really want to adapt Koni's FSD to an s-chassis. It's going be next after getting the Bilstein project tested and ready for marketing. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it's really an good way to look at damping and when it's needed.
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:13 AM   #35
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiisass View Post
I really want to adapt Koni's FSD to an s-chassis. It's going be next after getting the Bilstein project tested and ready for marketing. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it's really an good way to look at damping and when it's needed.
It looks as though the primary piston is a normal shim stack type, but I'm not sure if you could tune the FSD valve.... it'd be an interesting project, though (one that I'd love to help test and tune ).

I'm really looking forward to the completion of your Bilstein project, and to doing a mini shock shootout :P
Old 08-23-2007, 06:20 AM   #36
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
I think you're right about the shim stack on the piston, but it might be setup a lot stiffer than a normal shim stack and used as more of a blow off valve than anything else. And most of the damping is controlled with the FSD valve. But I'm not sure, I need to find that article again, the stuff on Koni's website it too dumbed down to really get anything out of it. Or maybe I just can't find the original stuff that was up there. Who knows, navigating through koni's million different websites is a skill that I have lost.

But you're right, I need to get the Bilstein's done so we can do our shootout. If I keep thinking of different ideas, I'm never going to get it done. Next thing I'll be talking about is those 4-way adjustable ZF Sachs rally dampers and trying to get them onto a 240. But that's for another time.

I just wish the 240 was as easy as the supra. You really need to let me know next time you're down in this area and I'll let you drive that thing around for a little. It will give you a little sneak peak of what the S13 Bilsteins are going to feel like.
DriftAssNation
Old 08-23-2007, 08:11 AM   #37
AceInHole
Autox Technician

I might end up in Warminster if they have a race before the end of the year, and I think Philly has a winter season, as well. I'd probably be in the G, though.

Also, I'm wondering if Koni's FSD system is similar to Moton's blow-off valve system. It seems as though FSD is more complicated, as though it goes by frequency/ cycle speed rather than piston velocity.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #38
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

I think the Warminster Autox might have been last weekend, but I don't know if there's more.

The thing with FSD, when I look at Koni's site, it just screams marketing BS. But the article I read in Racecar engineering actually explained how it worked better and made it sound more beneficial. Or maybe they're just doing a better job marketing to people that know what they're talking about.

From Koni's website, it looks like a preloaded foot valve. Nothing new or crazy, it's all been done before. And I guess it could be simlply that but with an extra bell or whistle thrown in somewhere. I need to find that article and reread it, see if there's something I'm not thinking of. But if it does act like it seems based on their site, then it would be similar to a blow off valve. I mean, the idea of the blow off valve in the damper isn't really anything new. Any digressive shock has it in some form or another. There's a bleed and when the bleed gets saturated, the big shim bends and releases pressure, but it really doesn't realease pressure, it just opens up a bigger passage for the fluid to travel through.

Who knows, Koni could've just done a Laplace transform on some dyno plots and came up with this theory and sent it to the marketing guys and told them to run with it. But I thought there was something more there. Oh well, I'll find the article later and let you know if I think of anything else.

But if it is just a blow off valve, then I take back my previous statement about fitting it on an S13 and will move on to the ZF Sachs stuff because it's so awesome that no one even knows about them.

Oh, one thing I noticed that was weird is on Koni's site, they have animation, and they have on where they pretend to run the shock on a dyno at different frequencies and amplitudes so they can keep the peak velocity the same. But on the plots, rebound is changing with frequency changes rather than compression. But the animation shows how the valve reacts based on compression movement and pressures. And I would assume that it would affect compression more than rebound because by lowering compression damping forces, you are lowering the percentage of force that gets transmitted to the chassis. But then again, high rebound forces can also create a harsh ride, but I would still think the focus would be on compression.
DriftAssNation
Old 08-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #39
AceInHole
Autox Technician

Found this on a bimmer forum

Originally from: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1133330065

I wonder if the valve acting in compression is what affects rebound. Depending on the time between compression and rebound, damping would be different (i.e. if the direction of travel changes before the valve fully opens or closes, with varying damping between depending on the frequency of change).

They also list the FSD shock as being used on the McLaren-Mercedes Vodafone F1 car. It doesn't seem to be complete hype...
Old 09-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #40
monkeyslide17
Leaky Injector

monkeyslide17 will become famous soon enoughmonkeyslide17 will become famous soon enoughmonkeyslide17 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to monkeyslide17
Does anyone know the reviews on the d2 coilovers? been looking but cant seem to find any thing on them. alittile but of info would be nice thanks..
monkeyslide17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #41
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyslide17 View Post
Does anyone know the reviews on the d2 coilovers? been looking but cant seem to find any thing on them. alittile but of info would be nice thanks..
d2s are basically k sports same shock im pretty sure. they also have the same spring rate 9/7 so pretty bearable for daily driving.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t319737.html
googled it and this came up
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #42
initial_drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
initial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Anyone ever run on Ikeya Formula, Moton, or Ohlins?
initial_drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:31 PM   #43
fakingdeath

fakingdeath is an unknown quantity at this point
no mention of the RSR coils?

fakingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:08 PM   #44
BRB26
Leaky Injector

BRB26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alot of the JDM coilovers are manufactured in Taiwan, but I know for a fact that All Tanabe products are designed and manufatured in Japan. KYB manufacures the dampers for Tanabe.
BRB26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #45
fd3s14

fd3s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
i didnt know ksport was that bad
fd3s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #46
low and slow
Zilvia FREAK!

low and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfection
subscribed, and + rep
low and slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:00 PM   #47
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
it depends what ksports u get - there are kontrol (cheapies) gt pros (inverted fronts), circuit pros (i think they have remote res), and slide kontrols. -- the cheapies are well... cheapies.

Why is PBM in the 1100-1500? arent those 900?

I think that some people are biased towards their kind of motorsport - I like that we have all these different types of people with different uses and levels of competition - all chiming in with what worked (or didnt work) for them. For people that just want to slam it and hardpark to the guy running penskes or koni racing dampers I personally wouldnt invest in koni race shocks for a street car tho.

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #48
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
I have to agree with most this is only useful for price guide, but even then there are different models. For instance Stance would fall into all 3 categories, the special order 3 ways in expensive. the GR+ and +pro and AL+ in mid range, and the sports in cheap stuff.

And in the end all this is subjective to driver preference
Old 09-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #49
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDyNomiTe View Post
I have to agree with most this is only useful for price guide, but even then there are different models. For instance Stance would fall into all 3 categories, the special order 3 ways in expensive. the GR+ and +pro and AL+ in mid range, and the sports in cheap stuff.

And in the end all this is subjective to driver preference
i agree with you this is subjective to driver preference and the type of driving you are going to use them for. The categorizing is pretty much based on price now.

I updated the layout and listed a bunch of models of each brand under each category.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #50
AceInHole
Autox Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by initial_drifter View Post
Anyone ever run on Ikeya Formula, Moton, or Ohlins?
Most people who spend $4000+ on dampers aren't forum-goers. You don't really need someone to vouch for Ohlins being worth the price, though. Hoping to see how Motons are sometime, as they're pretty much the next step up from what I've got now.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #51
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
I almost sold my KYB GC setup to go with Tanabe, but after driving a car with rebuilt Tien's and realizing my KYB + GC + Tein Camber plate set up handles better im going to try it out at the track first.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #52
heychris
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (20)
heychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Good general thread..

Agree with folks above...if you want THE SH** research what the factory teams are using and spend the dough, it will not be cheap..

Quick question though:
The car I bought has the GP Sports GR6 coilovers on it, had been in a minor L front shunt and the L front coilover looks to be bent . I understand the GR6 is no longer manufactured. Where can I get these rebuilt?

TIA
heychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:01 AM   #53
Aoshi112
Zilvia Addict

can we make this a sticky and build upon it?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #54
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Just though I'd update

Don't forget Topline Aragosta. SPL sells them. The dampers are built in the Netherlands and can be custom valved to any spring rate you want when you order ($200). They even come with they're own shock dyno sheet. They come two way adjustable but you can upgrade to three way.

$2486 base price

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:52 PM   #55
x'ed
Zilvia Member

x'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymore
whoever neg repped me and said "you are not the cause of changes" because of the post I made in this thread is an idiot. It was a joke, as this thread was started after I started a coilover thread and people got frustrated. I was making fun of myself by saying "I am glad to see I am the cause of changes, whatever the reason may be", because the thread was started out of annoyance of yet another question about coilovers being started. So get a life guy, instead of searching back two months for a post i made just so you could neg rep me again, whoever you are.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:40 AM   #56
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by x'ed View Post
whoever neg repped me and said "you are not the cause of changes" because of the post I made in this thread is an idiot. It was a joke, as this thread was started after I started a coilover thread and people got frustrated. I was making fun of myself by saying "I am glad to see I am the cause of changes, whatever the reason may be", because the thread was started out of annoyance of yet another question about coilovers being started. So get a life guy, instead of searching back two months for a post i made just so you could neg rep me again, whoever you are.
dude... the more you complain the more people rag on you...it sucks but the sooned u learn the better..
just become a premium member so u can see who repped you then go call him out!!
Old 10-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #57
x'ed
Zilvia Member

x'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymorex'ed is not welcome here anymore
Im not complaining, I am saying its a bitch move. What kind of loser searches for an old post and neg reps me for a comment I posted two months ago. And then some guy calls me a faggot. Gurantee he won't fess up, are you from so. cal whoever that was?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #58
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
that happened, to me a few times before, happened to prob anyone here that has been around for a few months or more.,.it sucks, but its even worse when its someone that isnt even discussing anything in the thread, has absolutley no input, and is just passing buy doesnt like your post and reps you!
Old 10-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #59
x'ed
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel25 View Post
that happened, to me a few times before, happened to prob anyone here that has been around for a few months or more.,.it sucks, but its even worse when its someone that isnt even discussing anything in the thread, has absolutley no input, and is just passing buy doesnt like your post and reps you!

Yeah, I really don't get that. It just makes it difficult to sell things when people see all red under your name.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #60
ZenkitonS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
This thread is pointless, whats "good" and whats "bad" is all a matter of peoples opinion. "Im gonna get such and such coilovers, because people told me to."

Tel: 626-581-7200
Fax: 626-330-3155

275 S 3rd Ave. #2
La Puente, CA 91746

ZenkitonS14 is offline   Reply With Quote