Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-30-2007, 12:31 AM   #91
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
chuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have the 2/3 circle camber plates and they have the spring binding issue.

240on430, just to make it clear, you didn't say if it fixed the problem or not. After replacing the plates, is the problem gone 100%?
chuonthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 AM   #92
C0NAN

Trader Rating: (0)
C0NAN can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm using KTS coilovers. I don't have any sound while turning but I have to "help" the steering wheel to go back to center position and every so often I have to re-tighten the spring lock nuts.
C0NAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:57 AM   #93
240on430
Zilvia Member

240on430 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1GP View Post
repped. those look a lot better, maybe with the lighter steering, the wheel will have an easier time returning to center coming out of a turn. i will check my camber plates tomorrow and report back.
you are right about the wheel going back to center. with the old mounts the wheel use to be straight sometimes and tracked sometimes.
240on430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:13 PM   #94
overb0ost
Zilvia Junkie

overb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to behold
i'm gonna call stance as well since i'm having the same problem.

i went to get an alignment and the place said that i have memory steer, as the wheel will continue to follow the same route as you were going (won't return back to center). but it only happens on one side....

then i read the rest of the posts on this thread and ppl are saying the same thing and also experiencing stiff steering.

any updates on the new hardware?
overb0ost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #95
240on430
Zilvia Member

for the people that don't want to read my whole post...with the new replacement mounts, the noise went away, steering is lighter, and the the steering effort from left to right is the same....the problems were fixed with new front mounts.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #96
MrD
Leaky Injector

MrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to all
Good to hear.
I guess I will wait a while before ordering my set.

logik how are yours doing?
MrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:55 PM   #97
Munch
Zilvia Member

Munch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by igot86 View Post
To the original poster. Could you post up a video of your dilema.
And 240on230 did u install them on yet
Ok the video is posted on youtube. It lost a lot of detail being converted to youtube standards, but u should still be able to see that its not rotating at the top, and u can definately hear the spring.

This vid was taken 4/20/07 btw...not long after i bought them.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk6zeAgka5g[/ame]
(edit: woah...i didnt know u could embed youtube videos on this forum, thats pretty awesome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240on430 View Post
for the people that don't want to read my whole post...with the new replacement mounts, the noise went away, steering is lighter, and the the steering effort from left to right is the same....the problems were fixed with new front mounts.

That is GREAT news to hear...i'm definitely gonna need to call them up and see if i can get some replacements...unfortunately the only documentation i still have is the packing slip that came taped to the box, not even the invoice. Hopefully they'll be able to do something. Hah, maybe they'll hook me up since i started this thread...ynever know.
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #98
2iv0 sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
OUCH

Sound like it hurts. Good to hear that the replacement solved it all!
2iv0 sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #99
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
That is GREAT news to hear...i'm definitely gonna need to call them up and see if i can get some replacements...unfortunately the only documentation i still have is the packing slip that came taped to the box, not even the invoice. Hopefully they'll be able to do something. Hah, maybe they'll hook me up since i started this thread...ynever know.
i'm assuming you have the 2/3 circle plate and not the full circle?

they didn't ask where or when i got the coilovers, but i told them i had them for a couple months.

the plate is defective and i'm sure they'll be glad to send you new mounts in exchange for your old mounts. they include a ups label in the box to return the old mounts.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:36 PM   #100
Munch
Zilvia Member

Munch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240on430 View Post
i'm assuming you have the 2/3 circle plate and not the full circle?

they didn't ask where or when i got the coilovers, but i told them i had them for a couple months.

the plate is defective and i'm sure they'll be glad to send you new mounts in exchange for your old mounts. they include a ups label in the box to return the old mounts.

Yeah, i have the old style 2/3 plates.

Well, its also good to know that they didnt get all into trying to find your invoice number and stuff like that when u got yours.

Ill definately be getting in contact with them soon, then perhaps i too can be rid of this annoyance. Yay.
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:25 PM   #101
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

chuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the rough
Ack, I emailed Stance yesterday about them since 240on430 reported his success. Got a response today saying they are waiting for responses from the 3 other testers before sending them out. Whoever you are (logik23, etc.), please try it out and respond to them. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:21 PM   #102
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuonthis View Post
Ack, I emailed Stance yesterday about them since 240on430 reported his success. Got a response today saying they are waiting for responses from the 3 other testers before sending them out. Whoever you are (logik23, etc.), please try it out and respond to them. Thanks.
I'd like to know who has fixed the problem with the new mounts from stance also.good luck everyone...its been a few days and about 150 miles of driving and not one noise from the springs with the new mounts.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:25 PM   #103
logik23
Zilvia Junkie

logik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of light
I got my new mounts, but they sent me 2/3 mounts, not full circle. I haven't installed them yet, but I'm going to try to do it tomorrow or Sunday, I work so much it's hard to find time. Anyways, I'll get back to you guys ASAP!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:33 PM   #104
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logik23 View Post
I got my new mounts, but they sent me 2/3 mounts, not full circle. I haven't installed them yet, but I'm going to try to do it tomorrow or Sunday, I work so much it's hard to find time. Anyways, I'll get back to you guys ASAP!
how does the top look? the same as the old mounts? the mounts you have mounted now are the 2/3 also?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:45 AM   #105
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

It looks like this was their plan all along and it's the reason why they are not sending us the replacement mounts yet. Here's my theory:

They were originally using the full circle mounts which were great. You can see in KiDyNomiTe's review (4th and 6th pictures) that the mount has the full circle. Then somewhere along the line, they decided to change to the 2/3 circle (reducing the materials = cheaper and/or lighter?).

Then it turns out that the 2/3 circle mounts have seized ball joints. I'm guessing they don't have S13s/S14s at their disposal for testing so they are sending out some full circle and some 2/3 circle mounts as replacements. They're probably going to hear that the full circles fixed the problem and the 2/3 circles still have the problem.

Well, that's my theory anyway.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #106
logik23
Zilvia Junkie

logik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
It looks like this was their plan all along and it's the reason why they are not sending us the replacement mounts yet. Here's my theory:

They were originally using the full circle mounts which were great. You can see in KiDyNomiTe's review (4th and 6th pictures) that the mount has the full circle. Then somewhere along the line, they decided to change to the 2/3 circle (reducing the materials = cheaper and/or lighter?).

Then it turns out that the 2/3 circle mounts have seized ball joints. I'm guessing they don't have S13s/S14s at their disposal for testing so they are sending out some full circle and some 2/3 circle mounts as replacements. They're probably going to hear that the full circles fixed the problem and the 2/3 circles still have the problem.

Well, that's my theory anyway.

That is most likely what happened.

The ones I had originally were 2/3. one is way to tight and the other doesn't move at all. Now I installed my replacement mounts (2/3) and they are worst, neither of them move at all this time. I'll call them after the weekend and get them to send me some full circle mounts. Fucking idiots use me as a test subjet for their crap. I have better things to do then take my coils apart every week.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #107
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:

The ones I had originally were 2/3. one is way to tight and the other doesn't move at all. Now I installed my replacement mounts (2/3) and they are worst, neither of them move at all this time. I'll call them after the weekend and get them to send me some full circle mounts. Fucking idiots use me as a test subjet for their crap. I have better things to do then take my coils apart every week.
that's fucked up. they should give you 50% off coupon for shocks or something.I was thinkinging the same about the guinni (sp?) pig testing.I just hope I don't have the first batch of prototypes that people had reported premature wear on. anyone know the diff between the prototypes and the new full circle design?
Old 09-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #108
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

Quote:

+rep for you for testing them out. At least it seems we got to the bottom of the problem. In a way, we were all guinea pigs for their 2/3 circle mounts since we heard such great things about their product which had the full circle mounts and they made the switch without us knowing.

Also, it shouldn't take too long to replace the mounts. Just jack up the car, unbolt the top nut, slide the strut out of the mount, unbolt the mount, bolt in new mount, slide strut back in, bolt on top nut. No need to take the coilovers out.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:06 PM   #109
91gst
Leaky Injector

91gst is on a distinguished road
I have gr+pro's on my s13 and Ive been having the binding problem since day one and Ive been on the phone with Stance at least once a week trying to fix the problem. So I finally got them to send me new mounts after trying everything I could think of and everything they suggested.

So, i just received my new mounts in the mail and they are still the 2/3 circle mounts. I guess Ill put them in anyway and see what happens. Im gonna be pissed if I have the pull the coilover out one more time, this is rediculous after paying $1200.
91gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #110
91gst
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecoupes View Post
Sorry this is kinda off topic but, on my front coilovers the dampening knob stoped clicking. So I can spin my dampening knob all day without is stoping, and I don't know what dampening setting I'm at.

anyone else have this problem?
I also noticed that this might a problem with mine pretty soon. I noticed that it will click sometimes and other times i wont feel it click when I turn the knob. I really hope its not getting screwed up.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #111
logik23
Zilvia Junkie

Yeah, you don't need to take the coilovers out, just undo the top 3 bolts on both sides, pull them both down (you can't really pull them down one at a time because of the sway bar). Then undo the 4 little allean key bolt, then undo the top nut, it's pretty easy. You could just undo the allen key bolts and leave the top plate attached to the car, but I find its harder to line up the allen key bolts them to line up the top bolts in the hole of the strut tower.

By not undoing the bottom bracket, you don't lose your allignement. (As long as you put the allen bolts back in the same place, but thats easy, just count the lines.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #112
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
+rep for you for testing them out. At least it seems we got to the bottom of the problem. In a way, we were all guinea pigs for their 2/3 circle mounts since we heard such great things about their product which had the full circle mounts and they made the switch without us knowing.

Also, it shouldn't take too long to replace the mounts. Just jack up the car, unbolt the top nut, slide the strut out of the mount, unbolt the mount, bolt in new mount, slide strut back in, bolt on top nut. No need to take the coilovers out.
removing the away bar links is a hassle to me though. some setups might be able to do what you suggested.but why send another 2/3 if they already knew the one change they made to the new batch of coilover before there weren't many complaints?

Last edited by 240on430; 09-01-2007 at 11:39 PM..
Old 09-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #113
91gst
Leaky Injector

well i installed my new mounts(2/3 circle replacements) today. It definitely isnt clunking anymore the way it was but it does it randomly but not as loud.

But now I have another problem...At a standstill when i turn the wheel the steering wheel vibrates but it doesnt clunk as loudly. Its too late now but Ill double check everything tomorrow to make sure its tight.

Also, I noticed that the wheel isnt pulling as much after a tight turn.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:34 PM   #114
logik23
Zilvia Junkie

Full circle is the only way to go. It seems thats not only is the 2/3 defective, but they have varrying quality. Some are partialy seized, some are almost seized and some are completly seized.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:23 PM   #115
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
D1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
240on430, have you tried adding any preload?
D1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #116
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
240on430, have you tried adding any preload?
I haven't added preload, but there is a small amount preload already.so if anyone is about to install full circle mounts, add more than a couple rotations of preload and let us know if you have any noise problems.if nobody reports back...ill have a good amount of time to add more preload on wednesday.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #117
916S14
Zilvia Junkie

916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
I just installed a set of GR +'s and having the same exact problems everyone here has. But my coilovers for some reason make a clunking noise when i turn and when i drive over a bump. Any bump i hit it makes a really loud nasty clunking noise like something is loose. Anyone have that problem?
916S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:47 PM   #118
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
D1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 916S14 View Post
I just installed a set of GR +'s and having the same exact problems everyone here has. But my coilovers for some reason make a clunking noise when i turn and when i drive over a bump. Any bump i hit it makes a really loud nasty clunking noise like something is loose. Anyone have that problem?
check your exhaust. having the stiff suspension destroyed one of my grommets which allowed the exhaust to clunk.
D1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #119
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
check your exhaust. having the stiff suspension destroyed one of my grommets which allowed the exhaust to clunk.
is the noise coming from the front? did you torque down the pillow ball nut?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #120
916S14
Zilvia Junkie

916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known916S14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
i know its not the exhause for sure because its coming from the front, it sounds like the strut is moving... but i know its no because i had my friend drive my car while i checked everything out, i have no yet torqued the top nut down yet, so i'll try to zap it lightly with a torque gun.
916S14 is offline   Reply With Quote