Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #961
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
vaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
finished up work on my "quick steer kit". should be able to achieve more angle with this setup!

all you need is a fender puller, some zip ties, and a blog.
vaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #962
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Cool man. What kinda welder are you using?

Luke
Old 10-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #963
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

vaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Cool man. What kinda welder are you using?

Luke
220 hobart.. nothing professional by any means! when i welded the spindles i torched them and then burned them in hot as i could. hopefully they will be nice and strong.

all you need is a fender puller, some zip ties, and a blog.
vaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:52 AM   #964
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
I hope they will be strong as well.

Looks good.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:23 AM   #965
mxsx25
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
mxsx25 is making his/her stupidity well-knownmxsx25 is making his/her stupidity well-knownmxsx25 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mxsx25
i know its been said a million times so far on this thread... but yeah this is the sickest thread... makes me so much more motivated to get shit donne! haha amazing work guys
Old 10-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #966
kingston240
Zilvia Member

kingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond repute
vaughn, care to tell how much you took out of the spindle? and when you mount it up would you mind sending me a pic of how it worked out? i am doing some knuckles in the next month and i want to get an idea of what geometry people are using
pm works if you dont want to say on forum
Old 10-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #967
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
If I'm allowed to take pics of my upcoming project at work. I'll post them. But for obvious reason I may not be able to.

But, it's a CF-18 fighter jet. I'm not 100% sure how much is being done in house. The details are pretty secretive. I don't even know what's going on. The only things we really know are: It's a CF-18 fighter jet. And it's not being "bolted" together in house. It doesn't fit through our doors, lol.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #968
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
But, it's a CF-18 fighter jet. I'm not 100% sure how much is being done in house. The details are pretty secretive. I don't even know what's going on. The only things we really know are: It's a CF-18 fighter jet. And it's not being "bolted" together in house. It doesn't fit through our doors, lol.
CF-18? So many things wrong with the naming conventions. Are you involved with the military, or private industry? Does Canada put "C" in front of all the designations they buy from the US?

'Cause here, C = cargo. F = air supremacy/fighter. They are mutually exclusive. The F-18 is so small, it can't even carry enough fuel for a decent mission without its extra 500gal tanks.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #969
sillyvia13
BANNED

sillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston240 View Post
vaughn, care to tell how much you took out of the spindle? and when you mount it up would you mind sending me a pic of how it worked out? i am doing some knuckles in the next month and i want to get an idea of what geometry people are using
pm works if you dont want to say on forum
I have taken 5/8 of inch out of mine...
worked well...
same deal too....had em torching for a while then hit em hard with high heat and lower wire speed it get deep pentration.. and slo cool...

I beat the shit out of it with a ball peen hammer, held up!
sillyvia13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #970
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
CF-18? So many things wrong with the naming conventions. Are you involved with the military, or private industry? Does Canada put "C" in front of all the designations they buy from the US?

'Cause here, C = cargo. F = air supremacy/fighter. They are mutually exclusive. The F-18 is so small, it can't even carry enough fuel for a decent mission without its extra 500gal tanks.
I'm not 100%, but I believe Canada puts the "C" there for that reason. I don't work for the military. The CF-18 we are building will not be put into service. Although fully functional. I think it's being used as a training tool. Possibly for mechanics? I don't know the full story and what it's purpose/s is/are.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:21 AM   #971
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

DisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DisEpyon
Quote:
If I'm allowed to take pics of my upcoming project at work. I'll post them. But for obvious reason I may not be able to.

would be nice if you can snap a few pictures.

Man this thread is becoming ancient... seems like everyone has no time for fabbing and picture taking.

well here is what i have today, been working on it for a few days and just got done with it. Its been awhile since i worked with aluminum again. A friend wanted me to make him a coolant reservoir and a oil breather/catch tank (he designed it and i did the fabrication work). So far they seem to be working great and another happy person.

forgot to take pics when it was off the car, so sorry if the pics are a bit crappy.

underneath the oil can.

DisEpyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #972
blu808
Post Whore!

Wow both of those are bad ass.

Quality work right there.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #973
DJButton
Zilvia Junkie

DJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to DJButton
Very nice work, both of those came out great!

New website! http://www.fujiispl.com
Post up YOUR CAR! http://www.rimtuck.com/
DJButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #974
dirtdiggler666
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
dirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
i got a roll cage question

how do you bend the little metal plates for the rear struts? i just allways wondered because the strut is thin metal its not like you can take a bfh to make the shape.
dirtdiggler666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:26 AM   #975
240sxaddict
Leaky Injector

240sxaddict is making a name for him/her self240sxaddict is making a name for him/her self
I always plate the floor or build a box because that metal is soo thin. I dont like plating the towers, I dont trust it worth shit.
240sxaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:36 AM   #976
Brian W.
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (8)
Brian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Brian W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiggler666 View Post
i got a roll cage question

how do you bend the little metal plates for the rear struts? i just allways wondered because the strut is thin metal its not like you can take a bfh to make the shape.

if you plate it on multiple dimensions its pretty damn strong. I use a slip roll to get it started and then just tack and hammer around as i go.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:55 AM   #977
dirtdiggler666
Nissanaholic!

dirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfectiondirtdiggler666 is close to perfection
what thickness of metal do you use? and sorry for the noobness but what is a slip roll? thanks so far guys
Old 10-31-2008, 12:23 PM   #978
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
what thickness of metal do you use? and sorry for the noobness but what is a slip roll? thanks so far guys
Ditto - you say "slip roll" and I think "english wheel".

And the tack/hammer method works for LOTS of stuff - and it's easy!!

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:08 PM   #979
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
DisEpyon, what setup were you using when you made that? (settings, rod size, etc)
Old 10-31-2008, 01:11 PM   #980
Brian W.
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Brian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfection
Quote:
i use .125" for base plates typically.

as for a slip roll...

mine is super old. I think its a pexto one.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #981
Brian W.
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Here are some equipment pics and shots of our fab area. some equipment is on the other side of the shop like our bender and mig welder and such, but this where the fun happens for the most part...

belt sander and "the mammoth!" (our 36" throat Do-All bandsaw)...

Our recently acquired Bridgeport veritcal mill...(hopefully use it to make some nice brackets and such for the bikes and who knows what else...)

Our TIG machine and welding tables...

Cheap china box and pan brake and some nice old Pexto style slip roll....

Overall pic.... believe it or not... thats CLEAN!...
Old 10-31-2008, 04:05 PM   #982
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

DisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
DisEpyon, what setup were you using when you made that? (settings, rod size, etc)
Amps: 145
AC Balance: A bit more on the cleaning side
Gas Flow: around 15 to 12
Filler rod: 5356 3/32
Tungsten: Electrode 2% Thoriated 3/32
Old 10-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #983
atutt
Zilvia Addict

^Why did you use Thoriated and not pure?
Old 10-31-2008, 04:39 PM   #984
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
^Why did you use Thoriated and not pure?
because i dont have pure, at least i think i didnt buy any pure or have any left. Probably a good idea to get some.

found this on the Lincoln Electric website:

3. For TIG Welding, what type of electrode is best for aluminum?

For most materials, including steel, a two percent thoriated tungsten electrode is recommended, but since aluminum is welded with AC rather than DC, the electrical characteristics are different and the amount of energy put into the tungsten electrode is higher when AC welding. For these reasons, pure tungsten or zirconiated tungsten are recommended for aluminum welding.

In addition, the electrode diameter for AC welding has to be significantly larger than when using DC. It is recommended to start with an electrode that is 1/8" and adjust as needed. Zirconiated tungsten can carry more current than pure tungsten electrodes. Another helpful hint for AC welding is to use a blunt tip - the arc tends to wander around a pointed tip.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #985
dirtdiggler666
Nissanaholic!

brian thanks for all the help and that bandsaw is fucking rad thats something i need to get
Old 11-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #986
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
Brian that vert bandsaw is the ducks nuts.
driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:00 PM   #987
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisEpyon View Post
because i dont have pure, at least i think i didnt buy any pure or have any left. Probably a good idea to get some.

found this on the Lincoln Electric website:

3. For TIG Welding, what type of electrode is best for aluminum?

For most materials, including steel, a two percent thoriated tungsten electrode is recommended, but since aluminum is welded with AC rather than DC, the electrical characteristics are different and the amount of energy put into the tungsten electrode is higher when AC welding. For these reasons, pure tungsten or zirconiated tungsten are recommended for aluminum welding.

In addition, the electrode diameter for AC welding has to be significantly larger than when using DC. It is recommended to start with an electrode that is 1/8" and adjust as needed. Zirconiated tungsten can carry more current than pure tungsten electrodes. Another helpful hint for AC welding is to use a blunt tip - the arc tends to wander around a pointed tip.
Correct me if I am wrong, but Red is just fine for aluminum until you get above 1/8" material. Above 1/8" the Red will start to contaminate the weld. On thinner material some will perfer Red over Green because the balling of the green somtimes gets outta hand.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #988
driftrkp
Zilvia Member

driftrkp is an unknown quantity at this point
A V Mount setup i finished up a few weeks ago. thecustomer is a friend of mine and brought it in for a front mount setup bodykit and paint. He couldn't really afford the Vmount so he just paid me to do a normal front mount, as soon as he left i began this haha he was pleasantly suprised. i went over on hours but the additional materials to build the V mount only set me back 20-30 over the FMIC setup. The car was pretty messed up from hitting a wall right before he brought it in, i had to have a frame shop pull the nose over almost 2 inche the core support was mangled.

and the almost finished product

driftrkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #989
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
^^Man that is nice!! Awesome that you hooked the guy up also!

Here is a little somthing I did for a customer. Front strut tower bar, with the BMC stopper, and a custom through the hood tow hook.

Also I picked up my new TIG machine. My first welds on Aluminum. 1/8" 6061 sheet, Miller Dynasty DX, 1/16" Red tungsten, 100amps, wave balance 75, 120htz.

I need some more practice, but I will get there.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com

Last edited by Jonnie Fraz; 11-02-2008 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: added pic
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #990
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
did you paint your fc the purplish brown color off of a 300c? my roommates is the same color with the BN knock off kit like yours but has minervas
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote