Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #661
Drifting Kalamari
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Drifting Kalamari is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I already have a bunged oil pan for a turbo, but I think I may go supercharged instead.
Drifting Kalamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #662
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
MiamiZ33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting Kalamari View Post
I already have a bunged oil pan for a turbo, but I think I may go supercharged instead.
I believe Collins supercharged his 1UZ a while back.. not sure what he did for engine management or whatever.

I am going to be listing my supercharged 350Z for sale this week or next, if I cannot get any buyers near my asking price, I will probably take the supercharger off and sell the car N/A. Which means I will be putting the vortech on the 1UZ, even though it doesn't really need any more power

So if anyone knows anyone looking for an '05 350Z, I will give a finder's fee if the car is sold to the referred buyer.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #663
Ptclaus98

Ptclaus98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextproject View Post
I already have a standalone car, im sick of dealing with standalones and people that claim to know how to tune them. the entire reasoning behind doing this particular swap is so that i can just enjoy the power without constantly wanting to upgrade, because really, there arent a whole lot of parts out there for the vvti 1uz. Barring a supercharger kit from australia for 5-6k, or a custom turbo kit, i'll be installing the engine and ENJOYING it. Not constantly messing with it. Im at the point in my life where id much rather be enjoying DRIVING my cars than messing with them to the point where they are no longer streetable, or they require time with a tuner that lives hours and hours away and i have to take off school and work just to have my car "tuned". No, if i were going to consider standalone i'd just do a different swap altogether. I just want the 300bhp and instant v8 tq. I could care less about spending 1500-2000 for another 30-50hp.

I really dont appreciate that you consider im "cheaping out" by not going standalone. Not everyone that does a swap is going to do a standalone, not all of us want track cars, not all of us want super highly modded cars we can tune whenever we want. To each their own, some want standalones, some dont want to bother with it and are totally happy with what they have because maybe some just want to swap the engine in and thats it.

All i was wondering is what the durability of the ka trans seems to be. Personally, i think it may be wise to go ahead and to the CD009 swap. Which is actually cheaper than a R154 swap, but people do still have probs with the cd009, although its most likely due to driver error/abuse.

If you're going to call someone cheap, explain once again why you're going with a early 1uz vs any other swap?
Where are you located in Chatt? If you need help, I'm down to help. I'm in Chatt, too.
Ptclaus98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #664
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
nextproject is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Really. I work off Hwy153 by all of the dealerships, I live out in Apison. Im still waiting for the MR2 to reassemble itself so the guy will buy it and i can order engine/trans/diff.

I should be able to use the shop's lifts and air tools for the actual swap, im going to rent out a large storage unit to do all of the prep work (maintenance, painting stuff, sorting stuff out, assembling stuff) then haul it all up to the shop one weekend (its heated, so winter weather wont be a factor).
nextproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:00 AM   #665
Ptclaus98

Ptclaus98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Your shop is like 15 minutes from my house. I live off Hwy58.
Ptclaus98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #666
sarhd
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
sarhd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiring specialties View Post
Getting asked about this swap more and more.
Plan on R&D'ing it in 2015.
Damn barely i was probably one of the first ones to email you about this swap lol but yeah if you can get the harness done I'll definitely get one
sarhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #667
jo_nathon

jo_nathon is an unknown quantity at this point
Anymore people got their cars on the road? I'm going to all the local junk yards this weekend to find a engine.
jo_nathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #668
Salvarath
Leaky Injector

Salvarath is an unknown quantity at this point
Can you just use a standalone ecu with the VVTI engine to get past it's "security system"?
Salvarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #669
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Yes, but that usually means taking away from the budget oriented swappers. By adding $1500 - $1800 on top of the motor would put this swap in lsx territory, so it isn't exactly the most cost effective solution.

Last edited by turtle m3th; 12-03-2014 at 12:54 AM..
turtle m3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #670
nextproject
Zilvia Member

My budget is already near a bone stock ls1. Still doesnt change the fact that GOOD LUCK finding an LS1 that hasnt been beat on. Whereas the 1uz vvti or non vvti most likely has had an easy lazy life.

Plus it allows me to focus on other areas of the car instead of making more and more and more and more power.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #671
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
badass8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Finally got mine running!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElU28sXJs58
Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #672
usound89

usound89 is an unknown quantity at this point
What was the issue?
usound89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #673
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
badass8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by usound89 View Post
What was the issue?
The previous OWNER not the person that did the wiring decided to DEPIN one of the igniter connectors, which happened to be for the passenger side coil. That person switched the IGT and IGF wires so the signal wasn't going to where it should be.

Switched it back to where it should be, Spark are all 8 cylinders, starts and runs just fine.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #674
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

MiamiZ33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by badass8 View Post
The previous OWNER not the person that did the wiring decided to DEPIN one of the igniter connectors, which happened to be for the passenger side coil. That person switched the IGT and IGF wires so the signal wasn't going to where it should be.

Switched it back to where it should be, Spark are all 8 cylinders, starts and runs just fine.
Nice man! Congrats! Here's to one more 240SX/1UZ on the road!

Does anyone on here have experience with the Z33 transmissions? To add more annoyance to my "turnkey" swap, I have had a third gear grind issue since I got it running. It hasn't been a big problem for me until I started hitting events, my first one was in October and my second one is this Friday.

That being said, I am going to be rebuilding my CD001 trans soon, does anyone have resources for synchros? (and don't say google it or search).
Old 12-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #675
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Im planning on running the 370Z 6 speed. Yes, its more expensive, but also less chance of having been beat to death, less miles, possibly even more updated than a CD009. This will necessitate use of an abs rear diff housing for speed sensor pickup. Oh well. SW20 is finally back together so im just waiting on the buyer to come up with the cash and then im ordering several LARGE items and renting out a storage unit to do all of the work in, that way everything stays separate.

And in reality, the 370Z trans isnt really all that much more than a CD009. Maybe a few hundred bucks. In the grand scheme of things, at least in my plans for the swap, the 370Z trans just makes sense. But my swap really wont be a budget swap.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #676
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Have you worked out the details of the vvti ecu yet? I currently have a non vvti motor in my hachi (not wired up yet) but I'd like to replace it with the ladder. The holidays zapped my haltech funds...
Old 12-04-2014, 03:34 AM   #677
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Turtle I have the ecu to run vvti. Just being lazy with getting everything together.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #678
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Yeah you mean the immobilizer bypass? well since the person i've been referred to multiple times on facebook doesnt seem to want to respond to messages, i will have to bite the bullet and ship to australia and fork out alot of cash. Either that or i pay an arm and a leg to run a programmable ecu. then the problem is finding someone to tune a vvti v8 that nobody really ever messes with. i really really really dont want to deal with that. Which is why i will most likely just send it all to australia for a PNP harness and immobilizer bypass.

Ive tried contacting this person at LEAST a half dozen times. Mr Chow is actually the guy that referred me to him.

Mr Chow, if you get yours running in the next couple of months, i will need to be contacting you regarding the immobilizer bypass and what you did.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #679
imperium

imperium is an unknown quantity at this point
whats the cost breakdown of the immobilizer bypass vs what a standalone / tuning would cost?
imperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:12 AM   #680
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Quote:
Yeah you mean the immobilizer bypass? well since the person i've been referred to multiple times on facebook doesnt seem to want to respond to messages, i will have to bite the bullet and ship to australia and fork out alot of cash. Either that or i pay an arm and a leg to run a programmable ecu. then the problem is finding someone to tune a vvti v8 that nobody really ever messes with. i really really really dont want to deal with that. Which is why i will most likely just send it all to australia for a PNP harness and immobilizer bypass.

Ive tried contacting this person at LEAST a half dozen times. Mr Chow is actually the guy that referred me to him.

Mr Chow, if you get yours running in the next couple of months, i will need to be contacting you regarding the immobilizer bypass and what you did.
I don't even know what's going on with that guy. There's a fb group even and he was selling some of ecu. I'm sorry.
I had to send mine out to Russia of all places. Legit guy. I can get you his email of you want he was super cool about all of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperium View Post
whats the cost breakdown of the immobilizer bypass vs what a standalone / tuning would cost?
Simplicity with the stock ecu.
Standalone this kind of pain in the butt. First off there's no stock mapping out there. So you have to figure out the stock mapping before anything. Basically it's a long process.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #681
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Thatd be really helpful i'd appreciate that email, hopefully HE replies! I really think im looking at another month of trying to get my money for the mr2, two tops, and then the engine/trans/diff and maintenance items will be on the way!
Old 12-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #682
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Here's his email. I emailed him telling you should be contacting him.

Last edited by MrChow; 12-09-2014 at 04:58 AM..
Old 12-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #683
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Awesome, thanks!

Well i heard back from him yesterday, i will be locating a spare 99-00 GS400 ecu and shipping it over to Russia asap! Thanks for the hookup!

Last edited by nextproject; 12-08-2014 at 11:20 AM..
Old 12-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #684
George_R

George_R is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to George_R
Thanks MrChow for pointing me at this forum =)
nextproject, unless you're worried with the speed limit, there's no piont of looking for a GS400 ECU. The pinout I emailed you is more than enough to work with a Crown Majesta ECU.

p/s MrChow, could you delete my email from your post so I could see less spam in my mailbox? Please =)
p/p/s You mentioned some FB group back a couple posts in this thread, could you post more details on it?
George_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:59 AM   #685
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Done.
Yeah I'll email you again later about it.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #686
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Was under the impression that was the best ecu to use, as the gs400 was rated at 300/310 and the crown majesta used a variation with output at 276bhp. Cant imagine much outside of the ecu that would trigger that change. I can get these ecus all day long here (for a price, of course). You are referring to the pinouts, though?

On another note, welcome aboard! Glad to have you here with us!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #687
zenkiset
Zilvia Member

zenkiset is an unknown quantity at this point
Been MIA from this thread for ages. Little update...

Got the car running and driving so I moved back to KY. Was daily driving the car to work and back (very fun lol), but my water pump ended up crapping itself. Got really discouraged bc I was still trying to get on my feet after moving 6 hours away from my family and living on my own for the first time. Had no other car so I tried selling it, but couldn't stomach seeing my baby go. Found a co-worker who was actually my next door neighbor that ended up letting me ride to work with them everyday until I had enough money to buy a daily.

On to the car... Recently replaced the water pump thanks to the help of a good friend. Car is up and running again but I can't afford insurance on two cars at the moment so it's sitting in the garage while I accumulate parts for a full build on the rest of the car for the spring

P.S.- replacing the water pump sucked but wasn't as hard as what I read on the internet.
zenkiset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #688
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Was under the impression that was the best ecu to use, as the gs400 was rated at 300/310 and the crown majesta used a variation with output at 276bhp. Cant imagine much outside of the ecu that would trigger that change. I can get these ecus all day long here (for a price, of course). You are referring to the pinouts, though?

On another note, welcome aboard! Glad to have you here with us!
No. There pretty much all the same. The GS400 had more power because of the headers were less restrictive than others.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:18 AM   #689
George_R

George_R is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to George_R
nextproject, thanks!
Just as MrChow just said, I doubt that the extra power has something to do to ECU settings.

And yes I was referring to the pin diagram / pinout I emailed you. Wiring diagram for any 1uz-fe (vvti) is the same from the engine conversion point of view. The only difference is pin location. So any 1uz vvti wiring diagram and the proper pin diagram is enough. The only disadvantage I see about any JDM ECU is the speed limit. Bypassing it with the proper device may cost just as much as the difference between JDM and USDM ECU

I've wired all types of JDM 1uz-fe vvti so you can always ask me at any time if you have some particular wiring problem rather than general discussion
George_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #690
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Im going to purchase the ecu this weekend and when it arrives i'll ship it to you, i look forward to working with you!