Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Nissan News

Nissan News Nissan related news about the 240sx, Silvia, Z cars, or anything that may be of interest to Zilvia.net

Old 04-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #31
sirfallsalot243
BANNED

Trader Rating: (3)
sirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post
Well Nissan isn't just selling the GTR, now are they?

The GTR draws attention to potential buyers into the showroom who wouldn't otherwise be as interested.
They oogle at the GTR, and end up buying something like a Z, Altima, or whatever.
Those more modest models sell at far more volume, have profit margins, and are the real money makers

That is the general idea of a halo car.
Think of it as a form of advertising and a means for the company to flaunt it's technology.

Think about it, 315 GTRs will be sold in the US this year.
Whatever profit or losses from the sales alone are negligible to a company the size of Nissan.
They don't have to make money off the GTR to sustain themselves & they aren't going to be hurt bad if not a single GTR sells
Exactly. Same as the NSX from honda in the early 90's. Honda made a profit on the car, but barely. An all aluminum car isnt cheap to manufacture or design. But it made everyone else say "dayyyym, look what honda can do." Its not necessarily about THAT MODEL bringing in a profit, but more about bringing attention to the company. Kind of like a "look what we can do" mentality.

I cant wait for used GTR's to start going for 50k. By that time, 50k should be a feasible purchase. (aka, ill have made my millions by then )
sirfallsalot243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #32
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Key word Honda made a profit!!! Someone said gtr did not make any money
godrifttoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #33
sirfallsalot243
BANNED

sirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
Key word Honda made a profit!!! Someone said gtr did not make any money
Honda made A profit. Didnt say it was a big one, or one that was even worth their time.

Its almost like companies HAVE to make a supercar to be considered "legitimate." Just to prove what they can do, even if it wont rake in the big bucks.
sirfallsalot243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #34
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfallsalot243 View Post
Honda made A profit. Didnt say it was a big one, or one that was even worth their time.

Its almost like companies HAVE to make a supercar to be considered "legitimate." Just to prove what they can do, even if it wont rake in the big bucks.

Agreed. Plus all the technology developed that went into the GTR can and will trickle down to the other cars(albeit in watered down forms) which in a way saves them money on R&D and will improve their cars.

It is a known thing for companies to produce products that they will not make a profit on. It allows them to show the world what they are capable of.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #35
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

I understand what u guys are saying... All I'm saying no company would make something and sell it for less that what it cost to make... Makes no sense... Unless their is a big accountig error on allocating cost...Yes we can do a super car in this example gtr to show how advance it is and what not... Gtr went into production so even a break even or small profit it's ok but my Point being is that they can't lose cash, I mean that shoudnt be the idea to lose money to show off. Now one thing is to make a car that goes I to production and one that does not for example a a concept car. Never make it to the general public. And does what it was mention to do show off the technology
Old 05-01-2010, 06:58 AM   #36
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
theres a kid out here in psl that has a new gtr. by his looks he can't be more than 20-21ish.
i'm jealous, but hating gets you nowhere.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #37
theog

Trader Rating: (0)
theog is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
theyre trying to freeze the market
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #38
jodett

jodett is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I bet none of u... And I mean no one... Would ever complain or bitch about driving a new skyline at the age of 18 at the expense of your parents money..... I only come to one conclusion .... Hate .... Hate... Hate.... I could allready see it " no daddy no, 500hp skyline is to much for me at such a young age, please daddy buy me something with less power" haha yeah right! Haters... It's the thruth que no?
obviously It's not the kids fault for having rich parents that love to spoil him. It's the parents fault for throwing their little precious child in a car that they should know is not suitable for a young inexperienced driver. It's risking your kids, and others lives, just to buy your childs love. Seems irresponsible to me.
jodett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #39
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
I understand what u guys are saying... All I'm saying no company would make something and sell it for less that what it cost to make...
Quote:
The PlayStation 3's initial production cost is estimated to have been US$805.85 for the 20 GB model and US$840.35 for the 60 GB model.[199] However, they were priced at US$499 and US$599 respectively,[200] meaning that every unit was sold at an estimated loss of $250,[199]
Yes they will, if they expect to make profits elsewhere. Make a super car, people buys cars made by other people of the super car. Sony makes a super system makes sales of licensing fees of said system.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #40
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
People should do research on economics before commenting.

It is a simple and wide spread philosophy.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #41
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Or think of advertising.
It's an expense you have to pay for.
advertising almost never returns a profit.

You spend money to make an ad.
You spend money to have it in circulation (billboards, commercials, etc).
The advertisement isn't going to return profits AT ALL.

Why do companies invest in advertising/marketing?
because it will bring attention to their other products that DO make a profit.
Think of the GTR as more or less something similar.

Is that more coherent?
Business strategies aren't always a simple matter of profit or loss for everything.
Like I said prior, what matters is the company makes money overall.

Also, please don't say "I understand what you're saying" when you clearly do not.
If there is something you aren't clear with, please express it.
I'll be more than happy to elaborate.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #42
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
People should do research on economics before commenting.

It is a simple and wide spread philosophy.
Economics should be be mandatory high school curriculum.
It is far more relevant than say science, history, and your typical worthless liberal arts classes today imo.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #43
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
It's all relevant, they just emphasize knowledge over wisdom in public school. I can throw facts at you all day but it wont make you smarter unless I also give you the tools to use those facts and find more info on your own.

You gotta be hungry for it or everyone's time is wasted.

/thread jack
Old 05-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #44
mattsauto95
Zilvia Junkie

mattsauto95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
It is far more relevant than say science, history, and your typical worthless liberal arts classes today imo.
It already is in my high school.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:33 AM   #45
Geno750
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
Geno750 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Geno750 Send a message via Yahoo to Geno750
Quote:
There should also be a simple economic quiz someone needs to pass in order to register to vote, but I digress.

I imagine the 315 cars is a result of their own sales figures and usually guys who can afford these cars are not tracking them. They just want a car that goes fast, is comfortable, and Nissan is tailoring their supply to meet that demand.
Geno750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #46
ranger240
Zilvia Addict

ranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the rough
anyone saying ''nah ronmcdon you're wrong'' just doesn't get it. because you don't understand what you're talking about, stop arguing. this isn't a debate, its a fact. the skyline is a halo car, why do you think the stupid lexus LFA costs 300-400 or something thousand dollars, because lexus is taking a hit on every one so they marked that sucker up so they wouldn't have to make as many. that also is a halo car. standard 'economic motivation of production' (pardon that made-up phrase) doesn't apply to a halo car or similar circumstance.

econ should be mandatory for high school graduation. its stupid that you're required by law (at least in ct) for a semester of American Gov and not econ which is arguably much more valuable information to have.
ranger240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #47
project06tj
Leaky Injector

project06tj is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodett View Post
obviously It's not the kids fault for having rich parents that love to spoil him. It's the parents fault for throwing their little precious child in a car that they should know is not suitable for a young inexperienced driver. It's risking your kids, and others lives, just to buy your childs love. Seems irresponsible to me.
i'm sure joey logano's parents feel the same way.
project06tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #48
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

halo car or not, in my own personal opinion i would make someonething for profit first and then for it to be a so-called halo car, i would mark that thing up to make money. the limited amount of cars will only be available to those who can pay for it so, if they are not making a profit from it being 80k i would sell it for a higher price until i satisfy myself on how much we will make...
Old 05-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #49
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

You are missing the point of a halo car and fail at economics.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #50
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRPS13 View Post
Yeah I see GT-R's at most all of the Nissan Dealerships. Kind of makes me mad cause I had some dude who barely looked 18 in a GT-R right next to me at the stop light. Freakin' kids and their parents money.
there are 2 kids at my school with gtr's. both automatic, and one has since been wrapped around a tree (no joke). The kid is 18, and has a r34 gtr in the bahama's which he paid a shop 10k to mod it, all his parents money. he infact, riced it out and tinted the front window! yep...

also, an AMS evo x at my school, bought not built because it just showed up one day. really ugly lol. another kid has a supra mxv that is automatic, built up i guess

fucking n00bs and their automatics. these kids ebrake pull as well, rather than clutch kick... FUCKING NOOBS
chiboy002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #51
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
halo car or not, in my own personal opinion i would make someonething for profit first and then for it to be a so-called halo car, i would mark that thing up to make money. the limited amount of cars will only be available to those who can pay for it so, if they are not making a profit from it being 80k i would sell it for a higher price until i satisfy myself on how much we will make...
the whole point isnt to make a profit. its to garner attention. if the r35 cost 125k they couldn't rub it in porsches face that the r35 whoops the gt3whatever for $40k less. its marketing.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #52
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
... FUCKING NOOBS
Sounds like you are da masta dorifta.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #53
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
You are missing the point of a halo car and fail at economics.
Agreed with king.

Why can't people understand the concept of making something that isnt for profit and just shows the technical wonder of a company which in turn will make people want to buy other products made by said company?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:18 AM   #54
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Sounds like you are da masta dorifta.
excruse me sir, but your a rir bit rong! i just feel that ebrake pulls is definitely not the way to approach drifting. yeah its quick and effective, but honestly if your going to start then at least try doing it right. i suck at drifting, i can barely get my car going sideways and thats because i suck at clutch kicking. but i never pull my ebrake cause its like cheating in a sense. this is all my opinion, don't get offended.

question: how tight should your ebrake be TO lock up the rears? i HAVE tried ebrake pulls 2 times, nothing happened. the car just slowed down a little but it didnt slide out or skid, they just spun like if i was applying light brake pressure... so how tight should it be?
chiboy002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #55
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Zilvia is probably not the place for this. This thread certainly is not. You should do a couple of searches and maybe poke around the motor sports section.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #56
Cash
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Cash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Cash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksilvy View Post
sometimes i think there should be regulation of what teenage drivers should be allowed to drive for safety reasons, i mean seriously who wants an 18 yr old brat driving around a 400+ hp car with no experience behind the wheel? not only is it not safe it can get people killed which it has in the past.

Quote:
Economics class was mandatory to graduate high school in Georgia when I was in school. My econ teacher was a joke though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno750 View Post
There should also be a simple economic quiz someone needs to pass in order to register to vote, but I digress.
I agree, but then you'd have people crying "discrimination!" We unfortunately have to cater to the stupid due to "freedom and equality for all."

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
excruse me sir, but your a rir bit rong! i just feel that ebrake pulls is definitely not the way to approach drifting. yeah its quick and effective, but honestly if your going to start then at least try doing it right. i suck at drifting, i can barely get my car going sideways and thats because i suck at clutch kicking. but i never pull my ebrake cause its like cheating in a sense. this is all my opinion, don't get offended.

question: how tight should your ebrake be TO lock up the rears? i HAVE tried ebrake pulls 2 times, nothing happened. the car just slowed down a little but it didnt slide out or skid, they just spun like if i was applying light brake pressure... so how tight should it be?
Using the e-brake is not wrong or cheating. Even pros use their e-brake. Some use it to initiate, some use to maintain angle, scrub speed, etc.

And when you tried pulling your e-brake, you pushed the clutch in, right? You're not gonna lock up the rear wheels if you're still in gear..
Cash is offline   Reply With Quote