Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
canadians14sr20det

Trader Rating: (0)
canadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Update: Did an ATI super damper, hoping to smooth things out a bit more. Motor is smooth as butter at idle now, still horrific under load.

There's a thread on here where someone else had a similar issue, and came to the conclusion the input shaft bearings on these trans are shit. I think that can be agreed on now.

Solution (I think) is to replace the input shaft bearing and do the mazworx bellhousing. If this doesn't fix it I guess time for a hollinger
canadians14sr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2017, 06:02 AM   #2
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadians14sr20det View Post
Update: Did an ATI super damper, hoping to smooth things out a bit more. Motor is smooth as butter at idle now, still horrific under load.

There's a thread on here where someone else had a similar issue, and came to the conclusion the input shaft bearings on these trans are shit. I think that can be agreed on now.

Solution (I think) is to replace the input shaft bearing and do the mazworx bellhousing. If this doesn't fix it I guess time for a hollinger
Well, if that the case, they're currently 10% off!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
konjiki7

Trader Rating: (1)
konjiki7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:

Any updates? Did mounting harmonic bits on the trans help?
konjiki7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
With the pbm max downpipe and s13 trans mount you can retain the factory hanger between the downpipe and trans mount with cd009.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
Sailor
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Sailor is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hate getting those underlying issues, you've done a swell job of sorting out the bs and doing some research +1 for that. Hope this is the final fix
Quote:
I have purchased the Mazworx bellhousing kit as well as new input shaft bearings.
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
canadians14sr20det

canadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nice
Update: I installed the new bearings and mazworx bellhousing. Vibration still present.

However the vibration doesn't seem to be a "problem". I said fuck it, drove it all summer, hit a few drift events, and the transmission hasn't had any issues. Shifts nicely. Just sounds like the car is coming apart at 4000RPM plus.

I'll be buying a new OEM Z33 trans over the winter and installing that. If that doesn't fix it I guess I'll just live with it.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:37 AM   #7
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
I cant be bothered to go back and read the whole thread, but could it be the propshaft out of balance?

jack the car up so its arse is right in the air and take the prop off and 'drive' it.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
Kintaro_Oe
Leaky Injector

Kintaro_Oe is an unknown quantity at this point
I had this same issue after installing my mazworx bellhousing with the driveshaft they provided. Ended up being the universal joint not being lubricated properly.

When I was holding the driveshaft (off the car), i grabbed the u-joint and would move it around and noticed a few dead spots where it wasn't smooth and sort of catching a bit. I had Drivelines NW replace the U-Joint and voila, vibration gone.

IG: Touge.Tough
Kintaro_Oe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:15 PM   #9
canadians14sr20det

So to close up this thread. Ended up buying a brand new from Nissan cd00a trans. Vibration and noise is still present. These transmissions are just insanely noisey. The chassis vibration is just a factor of my motor and trans configuration. I'm going to live with it till something lets go.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #10
canadians14sr20det

Solved! (Mostly)

So I'm bringing this back from the dead. I never got over this vibration. With the latest Covid lockdown up here I've had some time on my hands so I went full science on this. This is gonna be a long one.

I went and setup a Raspberry Pi and hooked up two accelerometers to it via an ADCDAC expansion board. Parts I used were:
RaspberryPi: https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...-pi-4-model-b/
ADCDAC board: https://www.abelectronics.co.uk/p/74...xpansion-board
Accelerometers: https://www.digikey.ca/short/4c5fwj

I then wrote some code to record the vibrations from each sensor:
https://github.com/linds14sr20det/race_car_avc

For the setup to measure this vibration I attached one accelerometer to the transmission (unused bolt hole near the shifter bracket) and the other sensor to the transmission crossmember. My trans crossmember setup uses the 370z mount as it's fluid filled and _should_ dampen vibrations better than any of the other mount solutions, or at least that's what I thought.

Here's the first graph of engine vibration (blue) vs. chassis vibration (red). This is a recording of me revving the engine slowly from idle to 4500rpm. As you can see engine vibration increases as the rev's rise with not a lot of chassis vibration until you hit 4000rpm when chassis vibrations exponentially increase and are now stronger than the engine's vibration. This is a clear resonance in the chassis. The force the chassis is experiencing here is about 4g's. Considering the trans mount supports over 100 lbs, this is actually a pretty significant force. I wouldn't be surprised if over time this cracked the crossmember or the chassis spot welds.

If you zoom in on the graph you can also see that the vibration occurs at ~150Hz. This works out to the equivalent of 9000rpm (150 cycles/second * 60 seconds/minute), which actually makes sense. 4 cylinder engines are inherently unbalanced with a pronounced second order vibration (vibration at twice engine speed). So this supports a resonance at 4500rpm. Also explains why these trans don't have this problem behind a VQ35 or an inline 6.

Okay so the next step was to confirm the crossmember is the vibration transfer path. This is easy to do, support the trans on a floor jack, remove the transmission mount, and bolt everything back up. Since the transmission is no longer connected to the crossmember, we would expect to see little chassis vibration if the trans mount is the culprit. If it isn't the source of the vibration we should see no change.

Pretty dramatic decrease. So we know it's the trans mount causing the problem.

There are 3 ways to reduce vibration transfer from all the reading I've now done.
1. Stiffen the receiver (ie. thicker floorpans and a roll cage. This is a street car so nope. Also explains why s-chassis with cages aren't as bad for this vibration)
2. Reduce vibration at the source (Increase the mass of the transmission, add a dual mass flywheel, change the gear mesh patterns, swap to an inline 6, etc. Not gonna do those either.)
3. Soften the engine mount. Vibration elimination has two parts, isolation and damping. Damping increases vibration transmission to the receiver but reduces the peak amplitude. We want to isolate the vibration and to do this we need to soften the engine mount.

To test this theory, I went and grabbed two valve springs from a vq35de. Since a 4 cylinder second order vibration is only in the vertical direction a spring is a perfect candidate for the mount isolation. This is also how jaguar used to mount it's transmission back in the 70's and 80's so this isn't as hair brained as it seems. Anyways, the VQ35 springs were soft enough they support the weight of the cd009 but compress about an inch each. So I'd ballpark them at a spring rate of 75 lbs/inch. Here's the graph:

We have a winner. Chassis vibration is way reduced and you actually can't feel the buzz or hear the floor resonating anymore. So I'm going to build out a more permanent version of the spring trans mount and report back on it.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:22 PM   #11
lok
Zilvia Addict

lok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond repute
Wow. What an incredible journey

Your diag process and documentation should be applauded
lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:55 AM   #12
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
You seriously scienced the shit out of this. Huge kudos to you, good sir.

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #13
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Thread stickied. Excellent work OP.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #14
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Dude this is legit AF..... I knew CD009s were noisey but this is insane. But this leads to think its something internal to the tranny?

Is the vibration the same if you remove the driveshaft? I've read about driveshaft pinion angles and stuff?

What are your thoughts?

Maybe change fluids I know this helped for me moving from shockproof to amsoil. But not sure how significant is your vibrations.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:48 AM   #15
canadians14sr20det

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Dude this is legit AF..... I knew CD009s were noisey but this is insane. But this leads to think its something internal to the tranny?

Is the vibration the same if you remove the driveshaft? I've read about driveshaft pinion angles and stuff?

What are your thoughts?

Maybe change fluids I know this helped for me moving from shockproof to amsoil. But not sure how significant is your vibrations.
So I tested this with the driveshaft disconnected, no change at all. It is entirely related to the mass of the transmission and the way the trans case carries the vibration to the chassis. Weight of oil will help gear chatter related to switching to a single mass flywheel, but won't change the fact this trans does this in neutral as well. Resonance is a function of the natural frequency and mass of the object, in this case there isn't much you can do to the trans to change it.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #16
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
So I tested this with the driveshaft disconnected, no change at all. It is entirely related to the mass of the transmission and the way the trans case carries the vibration to the chassis. Weight of oil will help gear chatter related to switching to a single mass flywheel, but won't change the fact this trans does this in neutral as well. Resonance is a function of the natural frequency and mass of the object, in this case there isn't much you can do to the trans to change it.
Thanks for your clarity.

I thought you were revving the car to 4500 and beyond... Just thinking oil should help it a bit and I do like the idea of trying different mounts, maybe with lower durometer like driftfreaq mounts.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:04 AM   #17
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
With a sprung transmission mount isn't the driveshaft angle going to be variable while driving the car and over bumps etc? That seems like it might introduce some weird vibrations.

Kudos to you for actually finding the source though. Interesting that the characteristics of the I4 engine introduce this vibration to the transmission that doesn't happen with the V6.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:51 AM   #18
canadians14sr20det

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
With a sprung transmission mount isn't the driveshaft angle going to be variable while driving the car and over bumps etc? That seems like it might introduce some weird vibrations.

Kudos to you for actually finding the source though. Interesting that the characteristics of the I4 engine introduce this vibration to the transmission that doesn't happen with the V6.
You're totally right, springs alone would do some wacky things for driveline angle. When I finish designing my trans mount I'll be posting it here. I think the key is to have the springs "hover" the transmission just above and below bump stops. So any large bump has the trans hit a rubber bump stop that limits the change in angle. That being said if you were to watch how much a stock mount moves it's easily half an inch if not a full inch.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:43 PM   #19
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Quote:
You're totally right, springs alone would do some wacky things for driveline angle. When I finish designing my trans mount I'll be posting it here. I think the key is to have the springs "hover" the transmission just above and below bump stops. So any large bump has the trans hit a rubber bump stop that limits the change in angle. That being said if you were to watch how much a stock mount moves it's easily half an inch if not a full inch.
I may be interested in buying one of these mounts from you.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #20
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Same if I have issues with my setup as well. I'm using the gk mount so we'll see

mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:35 AM   #21
Antihero983
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Antihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Antihero983 Send a message via MSN to Antihero983
This is absolutely fantastic. Well done OP!!
Old 01-08-2021, 05:13 PM   #22
97kouki1J

97kouki1J is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you so much for your commitment.

You are a hero
97kouki1J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #23
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Have you given thought to trying other mounts? Such as but limited to Nismo, energy suspension, etc? It would be interesting to see this comparison.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:22 PM   #24
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
This is very interesting as I have been trying to figure out a resonance vibration on my KA for years. Contrary to your experiences, the vibration in my car is felt anytime the engine is revving around 2200 rpms (free-rev clutch in/out or driving in any gear) which means the source is the engine itself. Replacing the harder Nismo engine mounts with softer, liquid-filled motor mounts perhaps off an older BMW 5 series is what I'm going to try.

Positive rep for the very methodical and technical approach to testing and updating this thread with findings!
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #25
canadians14sr20det

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nismo. View Post
Same if I have issues with my setup as well. I'm using the gk mount so we'll see

I won't be building and selling these as I don't want the headache that goes with all that. I will however provide the plans for whatever I build so anyone else can replicate it, or at least have a fabricator build it for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Have you given thought to trying other mounts? Such as but limited to Nismo, energy suspension, etc? It would be interesting to see this comparison.
I have already done this. I've tried:
- OEM s14 mount
- OEM s14 nismo mount
- OEM 350z mount
- OEM 370z mount
- Generic energy suspension bushing

The 350z mount with the damper bolt was the best, but only marginally better than an OEM s14 mount. Frankly none work well as they are all not designed to work in this application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
This is very interesting as I have been trying to figure out a resonance vibration on my KA for years. Contrary to your experiences, the vibration in my car is felt anytime the engine is revving around 2200 rpms (free-rev clutch in/out or driving in any gear) which means the source is the engine itself. Replacing the harder Nismo engine mounts with softer, liquid-filled motor mounts perhaps off an older BMW 5 series is what I'm going to try.

Positive rep for the very methodical and technical approach to testing and updating this thread with findings!
This is probably normal. The second order vibration moves lower in the rev range as the 4 cylinder gets bigger. As the KA is a bigger engine this would make some sense. You can use an app like Vibrations! on your phone to determine the frequency of the vibration. If you have a vibration of ~70Hz at that RPM it's a second order vibration and your plan for the 5 series mounts would probably help.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:46 PM   #26
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
I have already done this. I've tried:
- OEM s14 mount
- OEM s14 nismo mount
- OEM 350z mount
- OEM 370z mount
- Generic energy suspension bushing

The 350z mount with the damper bolt was the best, but only marginally better than an OEM s14 mount. Frankly none work well as they are all not designed to work in this application.
I figured this would be the results. It only makes sense, since they are sold as a higher durometer rubber. Thanks for confirming!
Old 05-29-2021, 04:32 PM   #27
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
foreverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Did you ever make those plans? I get the same vibration with a cd009 and turbo K24A2. After 4k rpm the chassis is vibrating pretty intensely, but flat out I cant notice it feel it.
foreverdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:45 PM   #28
canadians14sr20det

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdeath View Post
Did you ever make those plans? I get the same vibration with a cd009 and turbo K24A2. After 4k rpm the chassis is vibrating pretty intensely, but flat out I cant notice it feel it.
Yeah that makes sense. Under full throttle the time you spend at that rpm is limited so the chassis has trouble getting into resonance, as well as the gear lash stays tighter inside the trans.

I did make the mount but it also wasn't a huge help (though it worked great free revving the engine). Under cruising load the vibrations are being transferred from the trans through the driveshaft to the rear end. I have solid subframe mounts so that probably isn't helping. Guessing most of the people on here have solid subframe mounts as well. Anyways, here's my design:

The rubber mounts on the side mount to aluminum L-brackets that bolt to the stock location. Like I said, works great with no load on the engine, just free-revving. Inspired by this jaguar mount design:

Since this still doesn't work under load I'm gonna try switching my subframe mounts from solid aluminum back to nismo rubber bushes. If that doesn't work I may try a carbon fiber driveshaft. I'd like to throw a dual mass flywheel on or a guibo on the driveshaft but both of those options would require crazy custom machining. Honestly I may say fuck it and go back to a 5 speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron
Trying it without the damper does not eliminate the damper - it simulates a really-bad-case (I only don't say worst because half a damper could be even worse... but worst possible, right?) damper damage scenario - it's highly inadvisable to rev it like that without a damper, even briefly.
I have no idea what you are talking about. There is no damper that is integral to the CD009.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:48 PM   #29
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Trying it without the damper does not eliminate the damper - it simulates a really-bad-case (I only don't say worst because half a damper could be even worse... but worst possible, right?) damper damage scenario - it's highly inadvisable to rev it like that without a damper, even briefly.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:29 PM   #30
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I think swapping the solid subframe bushings out is a good plan. I have solid aluminum bushings on my subframe and I get noticeable vibrations from the rear of the car right around 2200rpms in lower gears. 2200 rpms is also where I get resonance on my KA 5 speed. I just ordered Nismo subframe bushings because it is bothering me so much.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote