Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #61
bussitcustoms
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
bussitcustoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I've owned 4 Megan products. Their exhaust, their tension rods, short shifter, and ruca's. I was highly disappointed with all 4 of them. The exhaust rusted out in a year (literally, one year), the short shifter rattled from the get go, the ruca's were unimpressive build quality, and one of the tension Rods straight up SNAPPED. The tension rods were only on the car for about 4 months. I wouldn't even trust Megan as an "in a pinch" aftermarket part supplier. Everything they make is garbage, and you're better off leaving it stock until you can afford something of better quality. I'm currently in the market for coilovers, and I wouldn't consider Megan an option even if they were free. You don't skimp on suspension components. My safety is worth more to me than saving a couple bucks by buying something that's downright dangerous to ride on.

Ive only owned one CS product, and it was the short shifter that replaced my Megan. It works flawlessly.
bussitcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #62
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
There is more to a RUCA than just the looks. The heim is important as well. You don't want a floppy ass arm that is jiggeling all over the place after a short amount of use. The heims themselves are part of the reason why some RUCA's cost so much.

Also, a circle is stronger than a square.

Didn't Fortune Auto initially come out with ruca's EXACTLY like PBM? So much in fact that PBM felt the need to change their design?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #63
vehicle336
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
vehicle336 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have Cusco's. They seem to be working pretty well. Definitely worth the cost for quality.
vehicle336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #64
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
There is more to a RUCA than just the looks. The heim is important as well. You don't want a floppy ass arm that is jiggeling all over the place after a short amount of use. The heims themselves are part of the reason why some RUCA's cost so much.

Also, a circle is stronger than a square.

Didn't Fortune Auto initially come out with ruca's EXACTLY like PBM? So much in fact that PBM felt the need to change their design?
not that i'm aware of, i know pbm and spl are damn near identical. iirc pbm changed their design and now they are very very similar to the spl.
fortune just came out with the flat ones (rucas) and those have been their only design. you might be thinking of stance or i could be wrong.
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #65
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBlackS14 View Post
I never said I wanted them to race. In any part of this thread. There is a diffence between being frugal and being stupid, which is what I came here to ask opinions about.
The problem is, no one here has ever made a gaddamn point by even saying why these aftermarket control arms are even necessary. People buy shit just to list them as modifications, when indeed they're nothing but bullshit. I can understand having the need for full-on adjustability if you're always racing and competing, and if thats the case, then you should be smart enough to know a good product from a shitty one. I stopped going to meets LONG ago because of all the dorky, living-at-home, tight-pant wearing, wanna-be hipster, part-time racecar drivers who rather than do their own R&D and investigate what makes a good product from a bad one - simply rely on online reviews and worth of mouth. This is not newegg, we're not talking about buying some electronic device. This is a fucking car part, it should be built with high quality materials. In fact, it should be built with HIGHER quality materials than OE. If you dont get something better than stock, then please answer....... why the FUCK are you even wasting your time with these shitty parts? Because they're cheaper? Cheaper than what? Surely they're not cheaper than stock, because you already have stock.

So if you need camber adjustment, my advice is to quit being a pussy and grab a rotary file and elongate your stock camber arms. There you go, now you have the extra camber adjustment you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bussitcustoms View Post
I've owned 4 Megan products. Their exhaust, their tension rods, short shifter, and ruca's. I was highly disappointed with all 4 of them. The exhaust rusted out in a year (literally, one year), the short shifter rattled from the get go, the ruca's were unimpressive build quality, and one of the tension Rods straight up SNAPPED. The tension rods were only on the car for about 4 months. I wouldn't even trust Megan as an "in a pinch" aftermarket part supplier. Everything they make is garbage, and you're better off leaving it stock until you can afford something of better quality. I'm currently in the market for coilovers, and I wouldn't consider Megan an option even if they were free. You don't skimp on suspension components. My safety is worth more to me than saving a couple bucks by buying something that's downright dangerous to ride on.
^ As you can see, the proof is in the pudding. Thank god smart people still exist. I often lose hope.

You guys get me fuckin excited....!
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #66
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
rant
seriously calm down bud. we all know you're the oldest member on here and you probably have high blood pressure. I enjoy your posts and don't want your old ass to have a heart attack.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #67
jacobzking
Zilvia Member

jacobzking is an unknown quantity at this point
i had megan coil overs on my sc430, sc300tt, nsx and now on my s14 (and also helped 3 other local people install them on sc300 and is300). i also have megan radiator, radiator hoses, rucas, tie rods ends, tension rods and a few other bits here and there. i've been completely happy with all of their parts so far. the s14 i just wrapped up is a track car, so we'll see how all that stuff holds up on the track.

i'm a happy megan buyer.
jacobzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #68
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobzking View Post
i had megan coil overs on my sc430, sc300tt, nsx and now on my s14 (and also helped 3 other local people install them on sc300 and is300). i also have megan radiator, radiator hoses, rucas, tie rods ends, tension rods and a few other bits here and there. i've been completely happy with all of their parts so far. the s14 i just wrapped up is a track car, so we'll see how all that stuff holds up on the track.

i'm a happy megan buyer.
You don't even know why their products suck. Your logic is, 'my shit hasn't broken yet, so it's good'. That logic is about as reasonable as fucking a bunch of hookers without a condom and saying, 'I haven't contracted any diseases yet so unprotected sex is cool'.

Fact, I had a set of megan coils given to me, I tracked the car one day later, and threw them out in about a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
not that i'm aware of, i know pbm and spl are damn near identical. iirc pbm changed their design and now they are very very similar to the spl.
fortune just came out with the flat ones (rucas) and those have been their only design. you might be thinking of stance or i could be wrong.
My bad, they were the toe and traction rods that made Dan change up his own links.
http://zilvia.net/f/suspension/37455...er-dealer.html

I'm sure Dan probably thinks I hate him or something, but if I was able to choose only a couple brands in terms of links and stuff, it would be SPL and PBM.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #69
jacobzking
Zilvia Member

jacobzking is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You don't even know why their products suck. Your logic is, 'my shit hasn't broken yet, so it's good'. That logic is about as reasonable as fucking a bunch of hookers without a condom and saying, 'I haven't contracted any diseases yet so unprotected sex is cool'.

Fact, I had a set of megan coils given to me, I tracked the car one day later, and threw them out in about a week.
so if they don't break, don't leak, spring rates are accurate and they are valved the way I want them... why do they suck so bad?
jacobzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #70
mikeys13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
mikeys13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i guess

I have circuit sport ruca's and Megan toe rods, they're fine. and i daily drive them and drift as well. They're fine.
mikeys13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #71
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i had megans for awhile until i switched to pbm.

it was okay, its seemed beefier than than the newer ones now. it had a heims rubber cover. i also sprayed teflon dry coating to maximize protection.

my advice is get the halfmoon style ruca with extra low angle like pbm. its just way easier to move around stuff.
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #72
Bboyswift
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Bboyswift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have the Megan track coilovers. They ride nice. Haven't blown for dailying it and drifting it. Id buy them again
Bboyswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #73
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobzking View Post
so if they don't break, don't leak, spring rates are accurate and they are valved the way I want them... why do they suck so bad?
They are valved like shit, hence why I got rid of them immediately.

The heim joints on their links are worthless and flip around almost straight out of the box.

But whatever, I'm just a, 'hater'.

Carry on with your shitty car dear Sir.

I love how people use the excuse, 'it hasn't broken on me so it must be a quality part'.

That's like saying, ' a geo metro is on par with a ferrari, because my metro does the same thing'.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #74
thedeadking
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (18)
thedeadking is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I have Megan RUCA's and I can't wait to install the replacement SPL units I bought. The reason being is because the bearings are seized. Also, the rubber dust boots crumbled away a month or two after I installed them; I replaced them with ones from PowerTrix. Spend your money wisely the first time and buy the whatever higher end unit you can afford, and stay with stock until then if possible.
thedeadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #75
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
My bad, they were the toe and traction rods that made Dan change up his own links.
http://zilvia.net/f/suspension/37455...er-dealer.html

I'm sure Dan probably thinks I hate him or something, but if I was able to choose only a couple brands in terms of links and stuff, it would be SPL and PBM.
they were similar but i dont think they copied them. i mean, pbm "changed" their design shortly after spl did and now they are almost identical (same features, same look, same design). hell, fortune are the only ones with their own design on rucas so that shows they're def not copying anyone. i dig them because they are a local company, hand made in usa, awesome warranty, awesome heim joints, great materials, and great craftsmanship. i guess we can agree to disagree though lol.