Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-05-2023, 09:09 PM   #1
Carbonsnail

Trader Rating: (0)
Carbonsnail is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 KA24de daily driver Coolant and heater hose replacement How often?

I live in Southern California and was wondering how often I should replace both my coolant and heater hoses. The ones on my car now are around 7 to 8 yrs. Also, are ISR and HPS silicone hoses any good? Thanks for your replies.
Carbonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2023, 12:55 PM   #2
thermogod
Leaky Injector

thermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond repute
i have ISR coolant hoses and have done about 500 miles on them with no issues. i don't see why they wouldn't last at least as long as new OEM ones. simple parts.

if your hoses are visibly cracking or leaking, then i would obviously say replace them. i would take them off and check the inside for any debris buildup if anything, but 7-8 years doesn't seem too long.
Old 10-06-2023, 08:44 PM   #3
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
DEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've had HPS hoses on my car for about 3 years/25,000~ miles and they've been fine.

I will say the fitment isn't ideal:

Upper hose rubs right against the stock intake tube

And to fit the lower hose, I had to remove and cap off the small airbox/resonator that connects underneath the intake tube

And the experience from my recent endeavors, I highly recommend changing out ALL the 30 year old rubber on these cars
Old 10-07-2023, 04:03 AM   #4
Carbonsnail

Carbonsnail is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you both very much. You were very helpful. DEGUZZI are you running an after market fan with your radiator? I have a Mishimoto setup and it keeps draining my battery every 18 months.
Carbonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:16 AM   #5
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
DEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I still have the clutch fan
Old 10-10-2023, 07:21 AM   #6
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm almost certain all the coolant hoses other than the radiator hoses I pulled off my '93 in 2018 at 320,000 miles were original, none of them had failed but none of them survived removal, haha.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:08 AM   #7
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I have a bone stock '92 that I putt around in from time to time, and every rubber component is original. Not that I'm proud of it, and I'd be lying if I said I don't have an assortment of hoses/clamps/fittings from previous engine partouts I've done lying in the trunk at all times, but I digress.

Point being, while not a prudent habit, the rubber components can be trusted for a long ass time, so long as there aren't any unnatural forces like abrasion acting on them. Silicone stuff probably lives forever, idk.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 01:08 PM   #8
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Silicone is interesting in coolant hose applications - it has a higher burst pressure but it's also very slightly porous and can lose coolant over time. I actually don't know how it would perform in terms of longevity in a street car versus rubber. Though I know Ford and GM used silicone radiator hoses in cop cars.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote