Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
XV_SANITY

Trader Rating: (0)
XV_SANITY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Need help with my 240sx! Wont start

Hey! im very new to this website but wanted to give it a try and see if i can get any help.

i own a 95 240sx with a stock ka engine. went to start it up this morning getting ready to head out to work and everything function properly. the end of the day arrived and i went to go start my car, but unfortunetly it didnt want to start. i use the remote to unlock my car, put the key in the ignition, turn it over and everything looked like it was working fine. then i try to start it and it completly died on me. the lights in the instrument cluster doesnt work, the remote to unlock and lock doesnt work, the radio doesnt work... but my headlights work, my interior dome light works. even the lock and unlock button works. put a jumper to it and nothing changed. tested battery, its was fine. starter is working, 12v fuse is alright and so is ignition swtich fuse. so im lost in what i should do or start fixing so if you guys have any ideas that be great!! thanks!
XV_SANITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Welcome to the forum, I hope you get the help you need.

Sounds like battery terminals and connections to me
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
XV_SANITY

I did, but if it was the battery itself, my headlights shouldnt turn on, or the interior light as well... in general anything if im correct. I'll double check again tho!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #4
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
With loose terminals some things might work, then youll go to turn the engine over and everything will just turn off. Had this happen to me recently and ultimately bought a new battery *edit* and terminals *

Last edited by zombiewolf513; 11-03-2015 at 08:39 PM..
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
yomisiu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
yomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
ignition switch may be going out.
yomisiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
RickBlaine

RickBlaine is an unknown quantity at this point
You are in Chicago...if the car spent a few years of its life in road salt conditions, then your battery may be fine but your battery terminal connections, or the negative ground wire/positive cable to the starter may be corroded.

That would allow for some power (headlights, radio, dome light) to function just fine but not enough for the starter to be engaged. A corroded cable may lose 90% of its energy transfer capability.

As our cars age- this happens. Solution is to replace cables and protect them in the future. Use a good quality dialectical grease.
RickBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
XV_SANITY

True, but i put a jumper box to the battery and it made no change to it. i was checking my harness that goes around the driver side harness, and tested the each wire to see if current is going through and i found a black and yellow stripe wire that doesnt have any current going through it. what you guys think?
Old 11-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
XV_SANITY

True, but i put a jumper box to the battery and it made no change to it. i was checking my harness that goes around the driver side harness, and tested the each wire to see if current is going through and i found a black and yellow stripe wire that doesnt have any current going through it. what you guys think?
Old 11-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
mrturboextreme
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
mrturboextreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I know when my s13 was acting the same say I checked my connections from the fuse box in the engine bay to my battery terminals.

They were extremely corroded and while externally they looked fine they weren't. I had to pull the battery out of the tray check all the grounds and checked the main power source that comes from the fuse box to the battery.

I fixed a ground issue I found and have been good to go since. Hope you figure it out! Wiring issues are the worst!
mrturboextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:27 AM   #10
bypostbg

bypostbg is an unknown quantity at this point
They were extremely corroded and while externally they looked fine they weren't.
bypostbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #11
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
I would do like people are saying and check the terminals... i've had this problem before.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #12
izzy-
Zilvia Member

izzy- is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe alternator?
izzy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #13
mrturboextreme
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
mrturboextreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bypostbg View Post
They were extremely corroded and while externally they looked fine they weren't.
I guess I should have been a little more clear my fault. Most of the corrosion was under the fuse box area. Everything looked fine until I removed my battery and got down and looked.
mrturboextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #14
SouthpawPL

SouthpawPL is an unknown quantity at this point
Might be your cables

I recently had a similar problem. While it wasn't my battery terminals, that were corroded, my battery cables had corrosion inside them. I ended up needing to have new cables fabricated. Not real expensive, and solved all my electrical woes.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #15
XV_SANITY

still no luck, havent been able to had to time to look at her yet, this weekend should be good. i was able to drive her home, i passed a wire straight to the battery to the igntion wire. a white wire. she started up right away with no problem what so ever.. assumed it was my igniton relay, bought a new one and plugged it in and still no results. -__-
Old 11-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #16
XV_SANITY

Basically, car still wont start. no clicking with starter, nothing. no lights turns on with my cluster. apperantly im getting no power towards my igniton wire, so had to hook up a wire from the battery straight to my ignition wire to start it and it started up right away with no problem.! so then i switch the igniton relay with a new one thinking that could of been my problem and still no luck..