Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 09-29-2003, 10:30 AM   #1
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WhiteGLX Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteGLX
Spoilers?

My brother and i (sscguy) are still deciding which parts we ned to make our track ready S13 ggod enough for the track. What kind of spoilers are recommended and where can i get a fully functional one thats not just a POS sitting on my trunk?

thanks...website of the locatiosn of the spoilers would be greatly appreciated
WhiteGLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2003, 12:08 PM   #2
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

Trader Rating: (0)
sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
you don't need a spoiler.. a front air dam would be nice. I would just skip the spoiler.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:50 PM   #3
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
we wont need one even for lil extra down force on the rear?
Old 09-30-2003, 06:56 PM   #4
240Dave
Zilvia Member

240Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Nope. Downforce generating spoilers generally create power robbing drag. Unless you've got an insane amount of power, no need for extra downforce. I'd think underbody work (air dams, splitter, under trays, diffusers[in order of importance IMO]) would be more worthwhile for most 240's.
Goal should be to reduce drag and lift first before increasing downforce.

But in reality, you don't need any of that...
240Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 06:59 PM   #5
THX1138
Zilvia Member

THX1138 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're racing with a group like SCCA or NASA, your class rules will determine what you can do. But if you're doing run-what-ya-brung open track days, follow Chimp's advice. A nice deep front air dam will be more effective than a tail spoiler, because it'll reduce turbulence and lift underneath the car. After that, look at making some sort of undertrays a la G35 Aero. They'll help speed up and get rid of what air gets up under the front dam, further reducing lift, maybe even to the point of actual downforce.

If you have a spoiler on the tail of the car, it has to be in clean air to really work effectively, and won't start to make much downforce until you reach the sort of speeds at which the undertrays start to suck dust up off the asphalt.
THX1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 09:30 PM   #6
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
I really like the front air dam/splitter at http://www.roadracegear.com unfortunately, they don't make these for 240's...
Old 09-30-2003, 09:31 PM   #7
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

hhhmm......thanx guys, all info i did not originally know about. Any recommended front airdams, that woudl get the job done right,.the one you are talking about?
Old 10-01-2003, 10:08 PM   #8
TBreu007
Leaky Injector

Location: Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son...
TBreu007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TBreu007
I have a mold curing right to make one piece carbon/kevlar spoilers/splitters for the S13. It is fully Improved Touring legal (just barely).
It covers the entire front of the car from just below the top fog lights to about 2 1/2" off the ground. It also completely fills the opening for the radiator and directs probably 2x's the air into the radiator. I have the prototype on my car now.
I don't know how streetable it will be since it is so low.
If anyone is interested in me making any more e-mail me.

[email protected]
TBreu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 03:06 PM   #9
DamnedButDetermined
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
DamnedButDetermined is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
post pics please...I am interested!
DamnedButDetermined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 04:05 PM   #10
nokeone
on strike three.

nokeone is making a name for him/her selfnokeone is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to nokeone Send a message via MSN to nokeone Send a message via Yahoo to nokeone
yeah pics would be great!..
Old 10-07-2003, 05:31 PM   #11
240Dave
Zilvia Member

240Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Pics
Does it cover the holes where a 2nd set of fog lights look like they could go...you know where the black/grey plastic pieces are?
Hope not cauz they're perfect brake duct holes.
240Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 08:58 PM   #12
TBreu007
Leaky Injector

Sorry guys, I've been swamped with a S14 SR20 swap this week, so the spoiler was put on the back burner. Nevertheless, I will take a pic of the prototype tomorrow (digi-cam is going by my keys so I don't forget). Prototype won't be as polished as the finished ones, but you'll get the idea.

The way it is made now, it covers the holes for the fogs, but for my race car I cut out the spoiler, and I have brake ducts to go in the holes where the fogs were with 3" high temp hose to my brakes. Cutting Carbon/Kevlar is fairly easy (but itchy) if you have a cutting wheel on an angle grinder, you can make them as short as you want. I made mine taller because I could per the rules, and it makes the car more slick aerodynamically.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:20 AM   #13
TBreu007
Leaky Injector

Here's my prototype on my race car. It's VERY rough and not mounted properly; I just wanted to give everyone an idea of the basic design.
I had to make the first one in two section (vertical and horizontal and epoxy them together, but the next ones will all be one piece. Also, that is clay between the vertical adn horizontal pieces to smooth the transition for my mold.
Let me know what you think...positive and negative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pa080053.jpg (115.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-09-2003, 08:04 AM   #14
THX1138
Zilvia Member

THX1138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not bad. Like some others said, I'd probably keep the vents under the turn signals open for brake ducting or something like that, but the overall shape looks pretty good.

Do you have any shots from the side? Does it continue to curve back from the bottom edge of the bumper, or is it more vertical before it gets to the splitter?
THX1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 02:48 PM   #15
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

thats sweet... I can't wait to see the finished product.. I think I am definately gonna be interested in one of these. It's damn near impossible to find functional aero parts for the 240.

I agree that some opening for brake ducts would be appreciated..

I'll see if I can't find some pics..

edit - Well.. it's not like I couldn't cut out my own brake ducts.. then I could make them anyway I wanted.

this is what I was thinking anyways..

I know it's a civic, but you get the idea.

Last edited by sykikchimp; 10-10-2003 at 03:04 PM..
sykikchimp is offline   Reply With Quote