Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:37 AM   #151
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
^^^ Speaking of 2 unit homes, who's in the income property game? I've gotten hooked on the hgtv Income Property show, so now the wife & I are considering a duplex for our first home, while we lease out the other unit. Thoughts? What have you guys experienced?
Old 12-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #152
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Doback View Post

If you don't have kids/major fiscal responsibilities, it isn't too hard to get approved for a loan that large. My buddy just bought a house for $450k and that is with a 65k/yr salary, no wife/kids and we are both 2 years out of school and make the same income.
really? cuz the numbers in my mind dont workout. Either ALL income in going to mortgage (even with a reasonably low rate) or as corbic said, he/she is going into debt. From a quick eval i cannot figure out the 450k house loan on a 65k/yr salary.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #153
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanong87 View Post
really? cuz the numbers in my mind dont workout. Either ALL income in going to mortgage (even with a reasonably low rate) or as corbic said, he/she is going into debt. From a quick eval i cannot figure out the 450k house loan on a 65k/yr salary.

Exactly.

450k at 4% for 30 years is $2,617 a month with a .5% PMI and 1.25% tax rate.

He still needs home owners insurance.

After taxes and typical 401k + HC deductions your friend is making at most $3,500 a month.

So....he has $900 a month to pay all of life's expensive. He'll be house poor for 30 years.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #154
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
^^^ Speaking of 2 unit homes, who's in the income property game? I've gotten hooked on the hgtv Income Property show, so now the wife & I are considering a duplex for our first home, while we lease out the other unit. Thoughts? What have you guys experienced?

Bwa ha ha ha....

*20 minutes layer*

....ha ha ha ha

So you want to rent and have your moronic tenants as neighbors?

HGTV is as real as Jersey Shore and Keeping up with Kim. My advice is find some local renters and ask them about how awesome it is.

It's serious work and you will deal with some serious losers.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #155
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
^^^ Exactly why I'm asking here. That show makes living in your income property seem too good to be true.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #156
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post

Here's the thing. It costs you NOTHING to work with a realtor to help you find a house until you buy one. They are experts though (usually). Let them help you. They can answer questions They can give you advice. They can tell you about the process so you aren't counting on advice from a bunch of car guys.

1000000%. Realtors dont get paid by you, they get paid by the seller. Dont be afraid to seek a realtor because its free for us potential home buyers.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #157
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
1000000%. Realtors dont get paid by you, they get paid by the seller. Dont be afraid to seek a realtor because its free for us potential home buyers.

To help you realtors will want you to sign a 6 month agreement.

Also, they are worse then use car salesman. They just want you to buy something fast so they get their 6% and move on.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #158
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Seeing this thread at the top of the page reminded me... I totally forgot to post up a few shots of my current house.

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #159
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^

Nice. Like the colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
To help you realtors will want you to sign a 6 month agreement.

Also, they are worse then use car salesman. They just want you to buy something fast so they get their 6% and move on.
I speak from more experience than probably anyone regular poster on this forum. Not true or the realtors you've met suck/know. Most realtors won't REQUIRE you to sign a Buyers Agent agreement. If they ask and you aren't comfortable doing so you can tell them that and they should be fine with not having one if you are pre-approved and serious. And contract doesn't do jack shit other than guarantee that if you buy a house, you buy a house through them during that contract. People are fucking assholes sometimes. They will run an agent around showing them dozens of homes over weeks and weeks and months and then turn around and buy a house from some realtor they just met for whatever reason. Also, if you are in a contract with an agent and you decide you don't like them they will most likely let you out. It also still doesn't mean you have to pay them jack. Its just to protect them from getting burned by people not really looking or not really qualified. If you blame the Realtor for that you are probably the asshole. lol. Also, if you have a Realtor pressuring you to buy a house, find a new one. Finally, they can never MAKE you buy a house. Even if you have an offer on a house. I heard my wife say "You can't MAKE a buyer buy a house, but you can make a seller sell a house.".

So in closing, find a good agent that you like sign or don't sign a Buyers Agent and go out and buy a house through them.

Update on my house. Just a quick preview. The kitchen is close to being done but because of the change in temperature we won't be able to finish the sliding "barn" doors until spring. So I'll wait to post full pics.

The deer pillow is just for irony. We don't hunt and are't country ass people, but it fits in with WI. lol
Old 12-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #160
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
me and the soon to be wife will begin our piggy bank for our downpayment next year. (Were looking at doing a 30 year FHA) and will seek pre approval in January just to see where we currently stand.

A friend of mine is now a realtor and she told us point blank that seeking pre approval wont hurt us since were still starting out in life. The pre-approval sum will only get higher overtime due to income increases and etc.

I was also told that if youre dead serious about buying a house that search engines like Zillow are completely useless except for window shopping. Apparently realtors have a more thorough and up to date search engine for properties that they themselves only have access to.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #161
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Quote:
me and the soon to be wife will begin our piggy bank for our downpayment next year. (Were looking at doing a 30 year FHA) and will seek pre approval in January just to see where we currently stand.

A friend of mine is now a realtor and she told us point blank that seeking pre approval wont hurt us since were still starting out in life. The pre-approval sum will only get higher overtime due to income increases and etc.
Definitely get pre-approved. You need to see what you can afford and what you'll get approved for (approx). There's no point in looking at houses until you know how much you can afford. Looking at a home $100k more than you will get approved for or vise versa is a waste of yours and the realtor's time.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #162
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Quote:
Definitely get pre-approved. You need to see what you can afford and what you'll get approved for (approx). There's no point in looking at houses until you know how much you can afford. Looking at a home $100k more than you will get approved for or vise versa is a waste of yours and the realtor's time.

Yeah I will in january after my final paycheck for the year comes through. At least ill have a clearer picture of what I made last year before I go in there and seek pre-approval.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #163
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Quote:
Yeah I will in january after my final paycheck for the year comes through. At least ill have a clearer picture of what I made last year before I go in there and seek pre-approval.
Yeah, you'll need all that for sure. Our loan was a PITA because I'm self employed but only technically had a year and a half of income on my own. If we would have waited until I had 2 years we could have gotten approved for a lot more but we were comfortable with what we were approved for.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #164
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Yeah, you'll need all that for sure. Our loan was a PITA because I'm self employed but only technically had a year and a half of income on my own. If we would have waited until I had 2 years we could have gotten approved for a lot more but we were comfortable with what we were approved for.

That's another thing, Just because your approved for an amount doesn't mean you should spend that much. They take into no consideration your life style or ability to save.

So "Pre-Approved" /= "can afford"
Old 12-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #165
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Quote:
That's another thing, Just because your approved for an amount doesn't mean you should spend that much. They take into no consideration your life style or ability to save.

Correct. Don't over buy. That's why we just stuck with our initial approval.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #166
simmode1
Post Whore!

Yeah, Zillow & Trulia are jokes to real estate agents. 80% the time you look on there, the house has already been sold/off the market for months. Maybe even years. Agents use a far more up to date system.

My wife is a real estate agent & ohhh boy.... There is no shortage of ppl trying to waste her damn time. Not only do I recommend getting a preapproval, but I also encourage you to attend a first time home buyers workshop. This way you know what to expect from your agent & the current market.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #167
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Quote:
^

Nice. Like the colors.
Thanks!

Quote:

THIS! Seriously, when we were looking, we were pre approved for something like $150K more then what we ended up spending on a house.

They don't factor in real world costs, only repayment, taxes, and gas/hydro (well in my province anyways).

Old 12-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #168
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
Seeing this thread at the top of the page reminded me... I totally forgot to post up a few shots of my current house.
Looks excellent! I wouldn't change a thing (outside of replacing that England stuff with Spain stuff )

Quote:
The deer pillow is just for irony. We don't hunt and are't country ass people, but it fits in with WI. lol
I love WI, always will; but good gosh do I hate the country bumpkins in this state...or the city kids who think they're country bumpkins.
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #169
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby2089 View Post
Looks excellent! I wouldn't change a thing (outside of replacing that England stuff with Spain stuff )

I love WI, always will; but good gosh do I hate the country bumpkins in this state...or the city kids who think they're country bumpkins.
Yeah half my friends and family are more rural folks and the other half are city folks. I like the variation in culture honestly.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #170
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
My wife is a real estate agent & ohhh boy.... There is no shortage of ppl trying to waste her damn time. Not only do I recommend getting a preapproval, but I also encourage you to attend a first time home buyers workshop. This way you know what to expect from your agent & the current market.
I attended one of these..

Besides pre approval and recommending taking out an additional amount for home improvement, it was alot of shit I already knew and alot of smoke being blown up my ass.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #171
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^ Well, good that you were more informed than the average buyer. But most are completely clueless how the process works or how little time you get to make a decisive choice.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #172
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

How funny is it that I don't even come on Zilvia for car discussions any more but rather home discussions? lol Old Folks Crew.

Last edited by exitspeed; 12-10-2014 at 08:47 AM..
exitspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #173
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
How funny is it that I don't even come on Zilvia fr car discussions any more but rather home discussions? lol Old Folks Crew.

Ironically I'm the same.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #174
sw20>>s14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
sw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sw20>>s14
Quote:
I was also told that if youre dead serious about buying a house that search engines like Zillow are completely useless except for window shopping. Apparently realtors have a more thorough and up to date search engine for properties that they themselves only have access to.
The MLS is any realtor's first stop from my understanding.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #175
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Correct. The MLS is what is used.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #176
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

While looking for our place, our realtor sent us listings that met our criteria daily. It saved us a bunch of time, and really helped us get the drop on others if we want to see a place.

Honestly, having a great realtor will make or break the process for you. If they don't make the process comfortable and seamless for you, then switch it up.

Quote:
How funny is it that I don't even come on Zilvia for car discussions any more but rather home discussions? lol Old Folks Crew.
HAHA Pretty much...

I actually look forward to this thread whenever I see it at the top of the page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby2089 View Post
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oh and thank you

Old 12-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #177
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Do people really take on 30 year mortgages? F that. Do the math on amount of interest you'll be paying for half your lifetime. Seems much smarter to buy a more affordable, subpar house on a 15 year mortgage. Eventually sell the house and use it for a down payment on the dream house. This means more of the monthly mortgage payment will be going towards the principal instead of disappearing as interest.

Guess 30 year mortgages are part of the American dream. Get something spectacular now..... spend the rest of your life paying for it...... trap yourselves into a crappy, hated job because now you NEED the money.
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #178
JohnnyDrfiter22
Zilvia Addict

JohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura about
Or you could buy a house using a 30 yr mortgage, than after 4-5yrs of paying switch to a 15yr fixed loan. BAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeiler View Post
Do people really take on 30 year mortgages? F that. Do the math on amount of interest you'll be paying for half your lifetime. Seems much smarter to buy a more affordable, subpar house on a 15 year mortgage. Eventually sell the house and use it for a down payment on the dream house. This means more of the monthly mortgage payment will be going towards the principal instead of disappearing as interest.

Guess 30 year mortgages are part of the American dream. Get something spectacular now..... spend the rest of your life paying for it...... trap yourselves into a crappy, hated job because now you NEED the money.
JohnnyDrfiter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #179
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrfiter22 View Post
Or you could buy a house using a 30 yr mortgage, than after 4-5yrs of paying switch to a 15yr fixed loan. BAM

So 20 year mortgage? Or 5 years renting then 15 years paying off?

That 4-5 years is likely barely enough to pay the interest. Then you have to refinance and pay all those bank fees all over again.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #180
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeiler View Post

It's easier said than done.

It has more to do with the cost of houses out here in CA. People want more, but want that low payment. The only way you get to the low payment is by extending the term. I cringe at the thought of a 40 year mortgage.

Being in the car business, I see it happen all day long. People financing cars for 6-7 years now because they want a certain payment.

We personally went with a 30 year mortgage, but to have that cushion. Thanks to our extremely low payment, we've made a ton of principal only payments, we were able to fully remodel comfortably, and put more money toward savings. If we stay on track, we'll have this house paid off by 2023. This is by no means limiting ourselves to an extreme.

The nice part is, the going rate for a rental of our size and condition is actually double what our monthly payment is. We have approximately $220k in equity at the moment. Our plan is to save up enough money for another down payment and get ourselves that second house in a more favorable location. With a baby on the way, schools are top on my list.

My one suggestion to people looking to start off in real estate, never bite off more than you can chew. I worked with enough people over the years to have learned to be prepared for the unexpected. Just because a bank approved you for a large loan doesn't mean you should go for it. Always have that worst case scenario in mind. What will you do if you lose your job, injure yourself and can't work, etc.

Then, there are those who take out a second mortgage for personal or investment purposes. If done right, it can definitely put you in a better position financially, but I've met too many people who have lost it all. I'd rather wait another year or two of saving up before I borrow from my own house.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote