Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-24-2005, 02:49 PM   #1
neilio85
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
neilio85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Osram Silverstar's no different???

One of my raybrig bulbs recently burned out so after some searching i decided on the osram silverstar's. I purchased the one's from calfornia sport tuning the one's that are osram and not sylvania and I installed them today and they are basically identical to my stock bulbs which upon further inspection were osram silverstar's as well. I guess the owner of the car before me changed out the bulbs or something, but these bulbs were not what i expected. It seems there is still the yellow tint there. I guess I should have went with HID. Anywayz here are some pics to show the differenece between the raybrigs and the silverstar's.

The Raybrig's

The Silverstar's

Last edited by neilio85; 05-24-2005 at 03:28 PM..
neilio85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
drew935
Zilvia Addict

drew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her self
I have sylvania silverstars and they are whiter and brighter than my stocks...
Old 05-24-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
ZK
Zilvia FREAK!

ZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her self
The Sylvania SilverStar is not the OSRAM SilverStar. The Sylvania one is a "super white" one. The OSRAM is normal color, just brighter.
ZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
drew935
Zilvia Addict

drew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her self
ahh, ok got it. I saw those ones as well. .Glad that I didn't buy them...
Old 05-24-2005, 04:39 PM   #5
neilio85
Leaky Injector

So if i would have bought the sylvannia one's would have they been similar to the raybrig's? Post a pic of some sylvannia bulb's.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:01 PM   #6
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Old 05-25-2005, 01:23 AM   #7
JuJuBee
Zilvia Member

JuJuBee is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont like silverstars (use to have them), my friends raybrigs are bright as hell though
JuJuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:04 AM   #8
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
where can you get those raybrigs...i'm such a sucker for super birhgt, almost blue lights...i love that. I want

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
not"let's make our car look like a pile of shit and dead babies"
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:14 AM   #9
KOUKI KA-T
Zilvia FREAK!

KOUKI KA-T is on a distinguished road
I can't even believe what I am reading.
I got a pair of Raybrig H1's for my car 2 weeks ago, they are by far the worst bulbs I have ever had. Sure they look all pretty when you look at them, but the light output is complete garbage. I can't see a damn thing. I'm putting the stock bulbs back in, they produce about twice as much light as these raybrigs do, they are terrible.
If you're only concern is fashion then go ahead and spend the 80$ for the raybrigs, if you actually like to see the road when driving at night then don't touch them.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:09 PM   #10
WongFeiHung
Zilvia Member

WongFeiHung is an unknown quantity at this point
Osram Silverstars are brighter than the Sylvania Silverstars and not as "white" as the Sylvanias. They provide more useable light. If you didn't know...blue is about the worse color you can get for a halogen bulb. Because of the wavelength of the color blue it scatters easily and causes glare, especially in inclement weather. Blue also physically fatigues your eyes and the coating steals lumen output from the bulb. Amber or yellow are on the opposite spectrum of this, thats why you see Le Mans and JGTC cars with yellow headlamps and bulbs.

If you want a stock wattage bulb that is bright and functional get the Osram Silverstar or the Philips Vision Plus. If you want bulbs that look "cool" get some ricer bulbs like Raybrigs or PIAAs...

www.projectnissan.com
WongFeiHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:16 PM   #11
Dee240sx
Leaky Injector

Dee240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WongFeiHung
Osram Silverstars are brighter than the Sylvania Silverstars and not as "white" as the Sylvanias. They provide more useable light. If you didn't know...blue is about the worse color you can get for a halogen bulb. Because of the wavelength of the color blue it scatters easily and causes glare, especially in inclement weather. Blue also physically fatigues your eyes and the coating steals lumen output from the bulb. Amber or yellow are on the opposite spectrum of this, thats why you see Le Mans and JGTC cars with yellow headlamps and bulbs.

If you want a stock wattage bulb that is bright and functional get the Osram Silverstar or the Philips Vision Plus. If you want bulbs that look "cool" get some ricer bulbs like Raybrigs or PIAAs...

I co-sign this.

No on mentioned that the stock lenses on a zenki suck and are prone to yellowing. You have to do your best to get that yellowish tint off. Mother's makes a good product for it. There are other methods as well.
Dee240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:06 PM   #12
neilio85
Leaky Injector

I have some headlight covers that came with the car when I bought it if you can see them in the pics. They seem to be protecting from the yellowish tint quite well.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:11 PM   #13
JuJuBee
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOUKI KA-T
I can't even believe what I am reading.
I got a pair of Raybrig H1's for my car 2 weeks ago, they are by far the worst bulbs I have ever had. Sure they look all pretty when you look at them, but the light output is complete garbage. I can't see a damn thing. I'm putting the stock bulbs back in, they produce about twice as much light as these raybrigs do, they are terrible.
If you're only concern is fashion then go ahead and spend the 80$ for the raybrigs, if you actually like to see the road when driving at night then don't touch them.

complete different expeirnece than what you have said

my friends threw out so much more light that its not even funny

maybe you got fake raybrigs or something
Old 05-25-2005, 10:14 PM   #14
SaskS14
Leaky Injector

SaskS14 is making a name for him/her selfSaskS14 is making a name for him/her self
Neil. Next time we run into each other I will show you my Silverstars. I just have the 9003's right now. But it will give you something to compare yours to.
SaskS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:08 PM   #15
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Osram = Sylvania

Osram is some German company that recently purchased Sylvania out...

Because of that, I don't see there being any difference in the Silverstar from Osram and Sylvania, as they're probably the same darn thing...

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:02 AM   #16
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
except that teh sylvanias are advertised for teh US market with the "cool hid" imitation look that is hot right now.

I like my sylvania silverstars... they are cheap enough not to worry about em and if it goes out, can replace at local parts store.. Oh yah , I got Raybrig headlight housings, which came with raybrig bulbs, they light up more on the road, but i like the white output. They are quality bulbs

the silverstars... but dead on pictures dont really mean anything.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:01 AM   #17
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
silverstar was really impressive at least to me. i was expecting worse when i got my set
Old 05-26-2005, 07:34 AM   #18
WongFeiHung
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace
Osram = Sylvania

Osram is some German company that recently purchased Sylvania out...

Because of that, I don't see there being any difference in the Silverstar from Osram and Sylvania, as they're probably the same darn thing...
No, they are different NOOB. Quit making assumptions and spreading misinformation.

www.projectnissan.com
Old 05-26-2005, 10:51 AM   #19
ZK
Zilvia FREAK!

ZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her self
OSRAM and Sylvania is the same company but the Silverstar they sell in the USA is the "Cool Blue" in Europe.

The OSRAM Silverstar we are talking about is the Silverstar they sell in Europe which is not a blue tinted bulb. They are not sold in the US through normal distribution but is available through the grey market importers. It's normal color but higher output light. I run these and they are very bright. If you are looking for a different color light then these are not for you.

OSRAM SilverStar

Silvania SilverStar
ZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:12 AM   #20
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by WongFeiHung
No, they are different NOOB. Quit making assumptions and spreading misinformation.
Damn you got me...I guess the bigass plant that's 10 miles down the road didn't go through a big change and layoff a bunch of people when Osram took over the Sylvania plant...but what do i know??

I purchased Silverstars for my Altima about a year ago and they had clear glass...I remember purchasing them specifically because they didn't have a blue tint...they must have changed since then...Ironic becuase even the clear lense sucked IMO...because of that I use OEM bulbs myself, as I'm more concerned for overall visibility than impressing the pre teens coming out of the movies friday night like Wong..

((( and 184 posts makes you some sort of OG?? LOL If I only took the time to add up all of the posts from the many different forums that I'm on!!! I think I've made more than 184 posts this month accross the internet and i'm sitting in the middle of freakin Iraq! lol!!)))

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:16 PM   #21
xtreme_s14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
xtreme_s14 has a reputation beyond reputextreme_s14 has a reputation beyond reputextreme_s14 has a reputation beyond reputextreme_s14 has a reputation beyond reputextreme_s14 has a reputation beyond reputextreme_s14 has a reputation beyond reputextreme_s14 has a reputation beyond reputextreme_s14 has a reputation beyond reputextreme_s14 has a reputation beyond reputextreme_s14 has a reputation beyond reputextreme_s14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xtreme_s14
i used to have sylvania silverstars.. i didn't like 'em much so i traded my buddy for his yellow hella bulbs! i like 'em a lot better! they're easier on the eyes and also the person driving in front of you! i'll put 'em to the test as soon as gmr opens up!
xtreme_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:27 PM   #22
WongFeiHung
Zilvia Member

I said the bulbs are different, I never said Osram did not buy out Sylvania. Thats a given for anyone who knows anything about the lighting market.

You use OEM bulbs huh? BTW, there's a reason every major car manufacturer uses either Osram/Sylvania or Philips bulbs, whether halogen or HID...

You are not your post count.

www.projectnissan.com
Old 05-26-2005, 04:24 PM   #23
JuJuBee
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace
Damn you got me...I guess the bigass plant that's 10 miles down the road didn't go through a big change and layoff a bunch of people when Osram took over the Sylvania plant...but what do i know??

I purchased Silverstars for my Altima about a year ago and they had clear glass...I remember purchasing them specifically because they didn't have a blue tint...they must have changed since then...Ironic becuase even the clear lense sucked IMO...because of that I use OEM bulbs myself, as I'm more concerned for overall visibility than impressing the pre teens coming out of the movies friday night like Wong..

((( and 184 posts makes you some sort of OG?? LOL If I only took the time to add up all of the posts from the many different forums that I'm on!!! I think I've made more than 184 posts this month accross the internet and i'm sitting in the middle of freakin Iraq! lol!!)))

post count dont mean shit, ive got over 20,000 in the past 2-3 years of all the forums ive been on...so what?

the fact is that they are different
Old 05-26-2005, 06:42 PM   #24
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
I have the silverstar sealed beam crap, so to get the raybrig ones, Do I have to change the housing to fit h4 bulbs or do raybrig make sealed beams for the NIZZZZANS?
mjjstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:36 AM   #25
WongFeiHung
Zilvia Member

Get a nice H4 housing like Bosch, Hella, or Cibie (the Raybrigs won't have the proper beam pattern for US roads) and your pick of H4 bulbs...

www.projectnissan.com