Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #13921
SharkMan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (28)
SharkMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxDavid View Post
Can someone direct me in the right direction of how to bleed my coolant system ka24e.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
KA24: Cooling system Bleeding - Nissan 240SX Forums

Google does work sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Front hugs or from behind hugs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan240 View Post
The Black Star Ninja is my real father...
SharkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #13922
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Damn, my turn for a SMALL QUESTION:

My speedometer randomly drops to zero, and neither the odometer, nor the speedometer function until it randomly pops back on. The needle just drops, then jumps back to whatever speed I am doing.

My WAG, but not sure: My Sporty cafe racer does this, and it has a sensor on the transmission door that has to be unbolted and the stuff cleaned off that magnetizes to it from the trans oils. When I clean off the sensor, it functions fine, but even the FSM does not show this as a total powered source that would knock all electrics off as the odometer still works and functions, just speed does not register.

So what may be the cause for the zenki doing this? Is there a specific place on the car that I need to look?
Anyone had the same experience and fixed it before?
Old 06-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #13923
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecamslam View Post
Just bought a s13 coupe and noticed that under the the headliner all the roof support has been cut out and discarded. Non sunroof model, my question how important are those bars to the cars structural rigidity? Should i be thinking about welding in some kind of support bars there? or just leave it alone, the roof doesnt bow or anything like that. THanks.

Anyone ideas?
Old 06-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #13924
HipHopHippo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
HipHopHippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Can you use bolts to connect a turbo to the manifold? Are studs better than bolts or vice versa?
Old 06-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #13925
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
Damn, my turn for a SMALL QUESTION:

My speedometer randomly drops to zero, and neither the odometer, nor the speedometer function until it randomly pops back on. The needle just drops, then jumps back to whatever speed I am doing.

My WAG, but not sure: My Sporty cafe racer does this, and it has a sensor on the transmission door that has to be unbolted and the stuff cleaned off that magnetizes to it from the trans oils. When I clean off the sensor, it functions fine, but even the FSM does not show this as a total powered source that would knock all electrics off as the odometer still works and functions, just speed does not register.

So what may be the cause for the zenki doing this? Is there a specific place on the car that I need to look?
Anyone had the same experience and fixed it before?
My single cam did this a long time ago. I had to replace the actual gauge in the cluster. Another way to test this is when it's fucking up, gun it. Any point after 3k if the car stops and acts like it decelerating on its own and then responds to you giving it throttle when below 3k that's the issue. Also get it up in the air and see if the vss spins freely. Mine locked up shortly after that incident
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #13926
Heytheremr2
Zilvia Member

Heytheremr2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did Recaro make GTR R32&R33 seats? I tried a google search which insinuates yes, but I saw nothing definitive. If they didn't, who did?
Heytheremr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #13927
Conrad 2NR
Zilvia Member

Conrad 2NR is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heytheremr2 View Post
Did Recaro make GTR R32&R33 seats? I tried a google search which insinuates yes, but I saw nothing definitive. If they didn't, who did?

Out of curiosity, why does it matter?
Old 06-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #13928
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by dev71893 View Post
My single cam did this a long time ago. I had to replace the actual gauge in the cluster. Another way to test this is when it's fucking up, gun it. Any point after 3k if the car stops and acts like it decelerating on its own and then responds to you giving it throttle when below 3k that's the issue. Also get it up in the air and see if the vss spins freely. Mine locked up shortly after that incident
VSS? what, and where is this part? Remember, I have mechanical knowledge but am a newb on my zenki. If I fix it myself, I won't go breaking parts in the process like some people around here dang, where's hiphop when ya need some broken parts?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #13929
VNG704
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
VNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Searched for the fitment thread and got an error. Got some 18x9 +25 with 235 40 18 up front on s14. Clears the coilovers by about 5mm. Will there be rubbing on compression? Am I just paranoid or will it be okay?
VNG704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #13930
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
VSS? what, and where is this part? Remember, I have mechanical knowledge but am a newb on my zenki. If I fix it myself, I won't go breaking parts in the process like some people around here dang, where's hiphop when ya need some broken parts?
Vehicle
Speed
Sensor

It's on the passenger side of the transmission. It sends a signal to the speedo gauge in the cluster then to the ecu. You need to get the ass end of the car higher than the front and check its free spin. It's more towards the back of the trans. It looks like a cylinder sticking out of it. It's the biggest sensor sticking out of the trans.
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #13931
Ni$$an302

Ni$$an302 is an unknown quantity at this point
How to unseize bottom lock ring on coilover(Megan track)?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Ni$$an302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #13932
S14 Ender
Leaky Injector

S14 Ender is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone know where you can order OEM replica parts? I can never find anything nice locally that isn't either overpriced or beat to hell. Would love to find some Navan parts or even Kouki conversion parts.
S14 Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #13933
Heytheremr2
Zilvia Member

Heytheremr2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad 2NR View Post
Out of curiosity, why does it matter?
burning curiousity :P
Heytheremr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #13934
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni$$an302 View Post
How to unseize bottom lock ring on coilover(Megan track)?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Soak it with PB blaster or similar penetrate. Then utilize a chisel and a hammer to help jar it loose, or get a large pipe wrench on it and go to town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14 Ender View Post
Does anyone know where you can order OEM replica parts? I can never find anything nice locally that isn't either overpriced or beat to hell. Would love to find some Navan parts or even Kouki conversion parts.
None really exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunter View Post
Anyone know where Matt Power's old 2012 headlights came from? Can they be bought aftermarket or were they just a custom fab job? They look super cool imo, blacked out when off and way different than OEM when on. Would love to buy or even build a pair.
They are custom to the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopHippo View Post
Can you use bolts to connect a turbo to the manifold? Are studs better than bolts or vice versa?
Studs are best as they will help center everything for you and allows to get into the area easier. I don't think you'll be able to fit a long enough bolt to work as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
Does anyone know if it is ok to remove the banjo assembly off the power steering pump and go straight off of it with a -AN fitting? The reason I ask is because the FSM shows a spring and a pressure valve inside the pump pressing against the bolt (which I would be removing). I know it wont be the same, but I just need to make sure it isn't gonna blow my pump out or give me zero steering feel.
You need to retain the flow control assembly in order for it all to work. With that said, you must keep that upper banjo. On my personal car, I just welded an AN fitting to the outlet of the upper banjo piece.

If you take it all apart you'll see that there is a spring below the flow control valve which has a plunger on top that rides against the bottom of that banjo valve.

I fought issues earlier this year with mine, and it ended up being junk/debris stuck in the bottom of that flow valve/piston thingy. What a PITA troubleshooting it.

And I can assure you that after taking them all apart, that the rack itself is a pretty simple working device, but that inner spool valve is quite the piece. WIth that said with enough crap in a system you could easily get debris in the rings of it and score the housing, but that has got to be hard to do...

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #13935
FourtyKid
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
FourtyKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
It's possible to use a hydraulic e brake like this right? I don't want it so the master cylinder is towards me, I want to mount it so I pull the handle away from the cylinder.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #13936
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev71893 View Post
Vehicle
Speed
Sensor

It's on the passenger side of the transmission. It sends a signal to the speedo gauge in the cluster then to the ecu. You need to get the ass end of the car higher than the front and check its free spin. It's more towards the back of the trans. It looks like a cylinder sticking out of it. It's the biggest sensor sticking out of the trans.
Thanks...
So if I have this correct:
The cylinder is the VSS and it spins, so once I have it disconnected, and cleaned off, check to see if it spins freely. Sounds simple enough. Either way, today is cut grass, then get my wench's ass into the air and see what she needs
Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #13937
a13x.
Zilvia Member

a13x. is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone know colour code of that cage?

a13x. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #13938
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
You need to retain the flow control assembly in order for it all to work. With that said, you must keep that upper banjo. On my personal car, I just welded an AN fitting to the outlet of the upper banjo piece.

If you take it all apart you'll see that there is a spring below the flow control valve which has a plunger on top that rides against the bottom of that banjo valve.

I fought issues earlier this year with mine, and it ended up being junk/debris stuck in the bottom of that flow valve/piston thingy. What a PITA troubleshooting it.

And I can assure you that after taking them all apart, that the rack itself is a pretty simple working device, but that inner spool valve is quite the piece. WIth that said with enough crap in a system you could easily get debris in the rings of it and score the housing, but that has got to be hard to do...
Thanks Cody, I already posted my fix on the other page. Spring and valve retained with new welded piece.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #13939
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourtyKid View Post
It's possible to use a hydraulic e brake like this right? I don't want it so the master cylinder is towards me, I want to mount it so I pull the handle away from the cylinder.

Yes. No problem. You'll just ave to fab up the handle bracket and have the master cylinder plunger mount beneath the pivot point for the handle. So that when pull the handle, it pushes the plunger.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #13940
Zilviasr20
Leaky Injector

Zilviasr20 is not welcome here anymoreZilviasr20 is not welcome here anymoreZilviasr20 is not welcome here anymoreZilviasr20 is not welcome here anymoreZilviasr20 is not welcome here anymoreZilviasr20 is not welcome here anymoreZilviasr20 is not welcome here anymoreZilviasr20 is not welcome here anymoreZilviasr20 is not welcome here anymoreZilviasr20 is not welcome here anymoreZilviasr20 is not welcome here anymore
New job

I just got hired at a Nissan dealership in Gardena, ca. Can I make a tread on that to market myself or is that against the forum rules?
Zilviasr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #13941
VNG704
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
VNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilviasr20 View Post
I just got hired at a Nissan dealership in Gardena, ca. Can I make a tread on that to market myself or is that against the forum rules?
Marketting, probably have to buy a forum vendor account. Should message a moderator.
VNG704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #13942
Wish I had a Silvia

Wish I had a Silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm trying to figure out which headlights and front bumper are on this Sil80 conversion, as this is what I'm shooting for.
Any help?
Front end:

Also, I'm new to the 240 game, only driven Integras and whatnot, what's a good flush fitment wheel spec including offset for front and rear? I want to be decently low, still be functional for learning what rwd cars are made for(not often at all, btw)
Wheel fitment:

Thanks so much in advance, sorry, I'm brand new to 240's..
Wish I had a Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #13943
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
yetijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A couple questions:

1) Can a j30 rear upright (hub,disc/drum brakes,knuckle) bolt directly to an s13? Looks very similar.

2) do all j30's come with a vlsd, and what's the difference between the 5 and the 6 bolt ones. Found a few in the junkyard some 5 bolt some 6
yetijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #13944
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wish I had a Silvia View Post
I'm trying to figure out which headlights and front bumper are on this Sil80 conversion, as this is what I'm shooting for.
Any help?
Front end:

Also, I'm new to the 240 game, only driven Integras and whatnot, what's a good flush fitment wheel spec including offset for front and rear? I want to be decently low, still be functional for learning what rwd cars are made for(not often at all, btw)
Wheel fitment:

I would say those are factory OEM brick headlights and an OEM K's Aero front bumper.

I'm sure some S13 guys will correct me, but if you go 17x9+15ish front and rear. You will get nice flush streetable setup that is fairly aggressive, but fits factory body well and looks clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetijeff View Post
A couple questions:

1) Can a j30 rear upright (hub,disc/drum brakes,knuckle) bolt directly to an s13? Looks very similar.

2) do all j30's come with a vlsd, and what's the difference between the 5 and the 6 bolt ones. Found a few in the junkyard some 5 bolt some 6
I can't vouch for s13, but I personally have installed J30 rear spindles, brakes and everything on my old S14. You will need the lower control arm and ballpoint from the j30 to make it work though.

But yea, spindle, drum, rotor, caliper, control arm and brakes. Etc.

Works great, it was a good brake upgrade as well! They look MUCH nicer in the wheel well with the 12" rotors.

Notice rear brake size.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #13945
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
yetijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Awesome thanks. Also what did u have to do special (if anything) to run the e-brakes. Sorry I'm kind of a Newjack when it comes to factory brake upgrades
yetijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #13946
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wish I had a Silvia View Post
Any help?
Front end:

Wheel fitment:

Come on, there is only 1 way to set up a Sil80. Wangan Spoiler, Gold BBS, and tucked...but ya need a hot navigator too

But totally being real about it, well yeah, I dig the Initial D Sil80 look. That Wangan spoiler really sets it off

and yeah, I also just discovered Wangan Midnight on You Tube in HD too
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #13947
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetijeff View Post
Awesome thanks. Also what did u have to do special (if anything) to run the e-brakes. Sorry I'm kind of a Newjack when it comes to factory brake upgrades
Yea, I used cable clamps to splice to the factory cables, cut and attached them together near the rear diff. When you pull everything from the junkyard, make sure you cut the cables as close to the junction at the handle as possible to have as much extra for attaching as you can. And don't worry lol, not a newb thing, I really think I'm the only one that has ever done that full brake upgrade conversion before haha
Old 06-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #13948
SoCalDrifter
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
SoCalDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i was wondering if any one can do me a favor and measure the rear window on there s14 from left to right.... i needa know the length but my cars at the shop and ive tried searching but cant find anything

thanks
SoCalDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #13949
namawon
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
namawon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just picked up a nismo steering wheel, and im wondering what hub i need to use for it to work with my s13.
Thanks!
Im looking for a simple basic kind. No quick release.
An example, i cant find the photo of the one i bought.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #13950
foxystyle
Zilvia Member

foxystyle is an unknown quantity at this point
this is for the koguchi power bonnet and Dmax bonnet consumers...

the vents on the kp bonnet appear more functional (the rad is visible)
for the dmax bonnet, is the front vent in the same position as the kp?
Would cutting the front vent do the equal justice as the kp bonnet?
foxystyle is offline   Reply With Quote