Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 12-18-2003, 10:09 PM   #1
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

Trader Rating: (0)
sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
NASA-VA 04' Schedule

http://www.nasaracing.net/2004.shtml

W00T! Probably won't get to go to VIR full though..
Old 12-19-2003, 10:25 AM   #2
Zilvia Addict

019 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 019
how come?

i'm definitely gonna try to make it there feb 21st
019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 11:56 AM   #3
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
well, I'm going to try.. I'm going to Amsterdam March 4-10, so I have to save $$.. If I got enough for track time, AND ams, then I'm doing it.

charles - who wishes money grew on trees..
Old 12-20-2003, 07:13 PM   #4
DS 240R
Leaky Injector

DS 240R is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, and NASA-VA is now running the SE-R Cup, so that means you can run your SR powered 240 in the SRX class.
DS 240R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:11 PM   #5
Zilvia Addict

oooh amsterdam, hehe. that place is so fun. yea, if i were you, i'd definitely take amsterdam over vir, hehe. hope you can muster up the money to get to both
Old 12-29-2003, 09:43 AM   #6
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

HippoSleek is an unknown quantity at this point
Charles-

Don't rule out other groups that run VIR. I know that Mazda club has a school there in April-ish and Car Guys generally has a date in spring. Both of these groups will usually get you more track time than NASA with the same instructors. There are no races to watch, but you also don't pay for it with lost track time, oil-dri delays, etc.

I like NASA and started there, but I'd guess you get about 1 hour more track time over a 2-day weekend [NASA = about 2.5 (3x25 min. max/day) = 150 min./wkend; CarGuys I got about 3 (1 ea. 40, 25, 25, 20 min./day) = 220 min./wkend.] You do pay a bit more (probably proportionate to the extra time you get), but considering the cost of the trip, hotel, etc. I think it is worth it. B/c of scheduling, I didn't do a single NASA weekend last year and I can't say I regret it in the least.
HippoSleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 10:19 AM   #7
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

you know, I was thinking the same thing. Car guys tends to be a touch too pricey though. I think I might try to run with THSCC. I'll check out the mazda group too.

Are you racing this season?
Old 12-30-2003, 12:49 AM   #8
hurleyboi514
Zilvia Addict

hurleyboi514 is a well-known jackass
Send a message via AIM to hurleyboi514
im certainly gonna make it out to a few events. i plan on doing 4, but if possible, more! i hope to have all mods finished up by late march, early april. that gives me enough time for the new suspension, a cage, and a few little things id like to get done. (header, cams, a little fuel tuning i hope).

HighTach Motorsports
hurleyboi514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:21 AM   #9
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

Very good! 240's should make a good east coast showing this year!

Ken, I'm hoping to have a roll bar in the car late march, early april. Hopefully you can make it to Intermediate before the end of this year so we can 'play' lol.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:01 PM   #10
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

Yeah, I definately recommend some of the other groups. After the P1 discounts last year, my 3 day car guys school was, something like $500. NASA is $300 for a two day deal -- or would be $450 is a 3 day was offered. But for the extra $50, I got roughly 330 min. vs. 225 min. That's more than 1.5 extra hours on track for $50. Like I said, pricey - yes - but totally worth it.

But no, I won't be racing this year (or likely next). I didn't do too many events this year b/c of work, so I'm still stuck in int. w/ the rest of the world. Not to mention that my GF will be sporting a lovely SM on her finger and I should own a home by the end of the year (whether I can afford a garage is another issue...). I'll keep you posted on events I hear about. Of course, I might have to push to move up to group 3 just so you won't roll me with that hp/tq monster!
Mark (who rolled a 355 this year... sadly).
Old 12-30-2003, 02:28 PM   #11
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

LOL.. roll you. that's a good one. Were you tracking the Miata?

I totally forgot about the p1 discount.. I hear so many good things about Car guys.. I have to do an event with them. We'll see.

So.. your selling the SM, and buying a rock for that w0man of yours? good for you.. I think? J/K

Hopefully some racing will be in your near future, that is if your lady likes her man happy.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:14 PM   #12
hurleyboi514
Zilvia Addict

yah, charles has it best, his girl wants to race too! thats awesome... i just stay single for financial reasons, that keeps the racing budget under control, haha! im sure ill settle down and find a girl someday, but for now, screw it...

btw, what roll bar are you gonna run? autopower? custom? im looking at my options right now... ill probably just run a 4 point, but if i get a sweet deal on a 6 point, ill run it. and trust me, if i can get up into advanced quickly, ill be right on your tail!

HighTach Motorsports
Old 12-31-2003, 07:54 AM   #13
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

YIKES! Two racers in one household -- I hope Charles has a big a55 money tree! I'll settle for pit-crew... I just need to get her into one of those Sparco pit suits they show in the ads

Yeah, I guarantee you'll roll my Meeotor in a 240. When I was at VIR this summer running yellow/int. group, I think the only cars I got a point from were a mini, a CRX, and an F355 . When I was out playing with my buddy Mike (guy w/ black Si), we had a lot of fun in the corners, but those always ended in a straight where he would just walk me above 90 mph. I imagine a 240 would be about the same. Funny thing is that when you run with a bunch of guys who a) know what they are doing and b) have 50-400 hp on you, you tend to get used to pointing. I did get to go out and play w/ a couple of instructors in SM's in a couple of sessions though -- I was on pace (w/ 10 more hp) except for the flat esses and the roller coaster (R compounds 0wNz3d me).

And no, there is no selling of the Miata... it's just that the ring fund could be used to turn my street car into a well prepared SM. Rest assured, once I get the big ticket items out of the way, the race schedule will return with a vengence.

But seriously, Jack usually posts up the CarGuys schedule w/ the P1 discount a couple times a year. I'll keep you posted. Take advantage!
Old 01-12-2004, 01:37 PM   #14
nrcooled
Nissanaholic!

nrcooled is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to nrcooled
Quote:
I know that Mazda club has a school there in April-ish and Car Guys generally has a date in spring. Both of these groups will usually get you more track time than NASA with the same instructors. There are no races to watch, but you also don't pay for it with lost track time, oil-dri delays, etc
Me and the wife will be attending the Mazda Club event at VIR in March. If anyone is interested please sign up and we can meet-up down there or something.

I have to fix a few things on the 240 but the wife can't wait to get the MSP running around down there.

Hopefully you guys will be able to make it though.

Bakari- who can't wait to track whore this season...with the money tree I stole from Charles

Last edited by nrcooled; 01-12-2004 at 01:52 PM..
nrcooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:47 PM   #15
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally posted by nrcooled
Me and the wife will be attending the Mazda Club event at VIR in March. If anyone is interested please sign up and we can meet-up down there or something.
Did you already sign up? I didn't see anything about it on the site, but I was at PBC recently and heard Pete talking about it.

Either way, I plan to be there w/ the Miata (240 is finally gone) looking for playmates (since I'm the slowest car in my group at most other events). If you have any info shoot me an email at my zilvia username at hotmail. I'm planning on going and want to make sure I don't miss the sign-up.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:50 PM   #16
nrcooled
Nissanaholic!

To all interested:

I am an idiot and forgot to post the link

Mazda club vir session

registration opened yesterday so get in early to snatch a spot. I will be signing up Friday.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:22 PM   #17
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

well shit.. If you guys are going.. I HAVE to go..

Rachel's been begging for some track time anyways. I'll see about signing up for the mazda event asap.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:50 PM   #18
nrcooled
Nissanaholic!

Hey guys - this is Amber. I can't wait to see you all again. I am so excited to get my car out on the track and see what it can do. Bakari keeps me informed of all of your upgrades, Charles (Chuckie), and I am glad, Mark, that you decided to come out. It's been a long time. Same plan as last time I am hoping... lots of beer at the hotel??? See you all soon.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:33 PM   #19
hurleyboi514
Zilvia Addict

mmmmm.... racing, then a hotel stockpiled w/ beer?? what could be better???

HighTach Motorsports
Old 01-13-2004, 10:23 PM   #20
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

Old 01-14-2004, 10:56 PM   #21
Zilvia Addict

sh!t... like charles said, if everyone's going, i'll be there too, hehe. right now i really want to make it up to VIR for 02/22, just cuz it's VIR. i think i can probably muster up enough money to go to other track events. just gimme name and place, and we can have a mini-east coast meet, hehe
Old 01-15-2004, 07:08 AM   #22
nrcooled
Nissanaholic!

Hey 019,
The more the merrier! This will be a blast.

I will be making reservations for a place to stay pretty soon and I will keep everyone updated so we can all stay in the same place. Or possibly share rooms to save cash.

Me and the wife are not included in this due to "privacy issues"
Old 01-15-2004, 08:55 AM   #23
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

Thanks for the info Bakari -- I just signed up.

Okay, if Amber or Rachel rolls me, it will only be b/c I'm out there in a girl's car Either way though, it will be good to see you all again -- it has been a while since the Zilvia gang hit the track. If only we could get Dave to show, it would be complete!

THE hotel is now the Sleep Inn. It's about one year old and it was still clean and nice when I was there last year. It is on the edge of Danville, about 5 mi. closer to the track (with nothing but smooth roads between the two! ). Plus, it has a grocery store, CVS, and decent restaurant all w/n easy walking distance. Granted, the Danville yokels don't cruise it (yet? ), but it is so much nicer.

I'll check with Mike (formerly owner of the black Si that recently vanished in the night and was replaced by an E30) to see if he's up. But b/n a car and a condo purchase, he might not be coming. If so, I'm looking for a roomie if anyone else is flying solo.

Either way, it's going to be a blast.

BTW: Bakari -- I thought Mazda club had VIR full or maybe even the Grand Circuit? VIR-N is good, but full is better (Grand would be grrrreat! ). If I recall Pete correctly, he was talking about running Beginner on S for 1/2 the first day, then opening up the full track after lunch.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:04 AM   #24
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

whats the grand circuit?

I like both Full, and north.. the rollercoaster, and the essess's are both very much fun. I like 8-10 north too. awesome..

ok.. really the whole track rocks..

I have more trouble with 1-3 than any other place on that track.

Last edited by sykikchimp; 01-15-2004 at 10:09 AM..
sykikchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:44 AM   #25
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

I wish I could find the map that really shows it off. But if you look at the main course map, there are the two crossovers used for N and S. There is also a crossover b/n those that connects 11 from N to 2 in S.

I have problems in 1/2 and the Roller Coaster -- I don't take them fast enough and I seem to muff shifts too often. Few things more humbling than being behind an SM down the straight and then having it lose me b/f hog pen or T-3. (granted RA1's would help).
Old 01-15-2004, 11:23 AM   #26
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by HippoSleek
I wish I could find the map that really shows it off. But if you look at the main course map, there are the two crossovers used for N and S. There is also a crossover b/n those that connects 11 from N to 2 in S.
so basically it's full course with all three cross-overs built in? like this!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grand.jpg (79.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-15-2004, 11:37 AM   #27
Steeles
Post Whore!

Steeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Steeles Send a message via Yahoo to Steeles
Man I gotta hit some of these events. at least to watch/hang/pit crew. Im hoping to get the car together next month (taking time out for Mardi Gras though) but new coilovers and wheels and the fuel for the new turbo are coming soon. gotta start marking these things on my calender.

dont forget Road Atlanta May 8-9th with speedtrials. I had Soooooooo much fun on that course last time.

man I need more money. who wants to rob a bank?
Old 01-15-2004, 11:59 AM   #28
nrcooled
Nissanaholic!

I have squished the "more power" bug for the "better driver" bug. Plus my 14 year old chassis has been giving me some issues.

New:
Tie Rods
Heater Core
Bushings

Old cars suck!:hammer: j/k
Old 01-15-2004, 12:52 PM   #29
Steeles
Post Whore!

Steeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Steeles Send a message via Yahoo to Steeles
hahah the only reason Im worried about more power is I've had this turbo sitting under my desk for almost a year now. lol. but yeah it's mostly repair time and tighten the nut behind the wheel time this year.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:44 PM   #30
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by Steeles
hahah the only reason Im worried about more power is I've had this turbo sitting under my desk for almost a year now. lol. but yeah it's mostly repair time and tighten the nut behind the wheel time this year.
LOL.. you need to be the one out driving your car at the event's instead of everyone else!

I thought Speedtrial wasn't operating on the East Coast anymore?