Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 09-23-2003, 06:21 PM   #1
mmtmatrix
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
mmtmatrix is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LSD question for Roadracing/AutoX/togue/Drift

Hello everyone, this might seem like an odd question but I couldn't find much help/information elsewhere (search).

I have a 92 240 coupe, and I am in the process of putting a LSD into it. I already have a Kaaz 2 way LSD but have yet to put it into the car. I plan to use the car for togue and what I would call road racing (i.e., fast grip) but also want to be able to have the option for learning how to drift.

I suppose what I am wondering is, is this Diff., the Kaaz 2 way, a decent choice? And also, this is there new style from Kaaz with more clutch places (more aggressive I am told) does anyone have any recommendations or experience with handling characteristics at different % of locking? I know you can change clutch plates around, is one set up or load going to be better for any of the above mentioned activities?

Thanks -- any help is appreciated,
mmtmatrix
mmtmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2003, 07:01 PM   #2
nocomedown
Zilvia FREAK!

nocomedown has a little shameless behavior in the past
Send a message via AIM to nocomedown
kaaz is good quality from what i understand, but if you want something that may be suited to many different styles of driving, check out the nismo LSDs. i think they are basically adjustable so you can make them 1.5 way/2 way/whatever way you want.
good luck
nocomedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 11:13 PM   #3
240racer
Zilvia Junkie

240racer is an unknown quantity at this point
there is a thread with answers to your questions only about 2 or 3 threads away from yours in the motorsports section, just go there.

'88 Celica All-Trac turbo
stock, but no more ecu codes!!
240racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 01:01 AM   #4
mmtmatrix
Leaky Injector

mmtmatrix is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks so much for the information, I really appreciate it. I considered purchasing a 1.5, but Kaaz no longer makes one. Probably should have looked into the Nismo's a bit.
I did actually see that thread below, and read it and gathered info from it (also hastened me to post because I noticed that the people here actually know what they are talking about).
But my question is a bit different. What I am really wanting to know is what Percentage % (# of clutch plates swapped) should I put my new style 2 way Kaaz at for the wide variety of described uses above, or should I really consider looking into something else? (especially interested in info from people who have driven cars with similar diffs and X%'s) I was planning on putting this one in soon, very soon...

Thanks again,
mmtmatrix
mmtmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 03:24 AM   #5
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

thx247 is an unknown quantity at this point
from what I saw the last drift event I attended, learn to drive grip lines, put in a VLSD or something weaksauce, learn to drift, then go for a 2 way.

The 2 way kicks out way faster than the other types, and it seemed to be an issue for those that had 2 ways and were learning.
thx247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:23 AM   #6
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
I would recommend going with the softest torque breakaway setting you can set it at. It will make it more forgiving, and more versatile, while being easier to learn with.

The KAAZ is a good diff, and will do what you want.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:34 AM   #7
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
if you want torque breakaway adjustment
and you wantto play with it, i wouldnt get teh kaaz unless you are skilled at LSDs
i was told the kaaz requires dissembly of the LSD guts and change of the clutch plates to adjust the breakaway torque

if you want to adjust it easily, go with a Nismo SSS or Nismo GT PRO

both are 3 way torque breakaway adjustable with dropping diff and removing one output shaft and changing the torque

and 1.5 or 2 way adjusatble with LSD disassembly

but both are quite pricey for most (depending on your budget)

a regular Nismo 2 way, Kaaz 2 way or ATS and Tomei would work great for a beginner.

yes a 2 way does push a lot more then a VLSD but it is worth in the long run.

i dont think the number of clutch plates plays a HUGE role beyond the torque breakway (due to how tightly packed the LSD is) if a lsd has 24 or 20 clutch plates but has the same torque breakaway then i dont think it would really matter because both give the same response

if that's true, im really not sure. have to research that one more.

good luck to you
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote