Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
RktBunny

Trader Rating: (0)
RktBunny is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
best s13 chassis/car in general is best for 2jz swap

about to buy a 2jz to rebuild and i want to put it in a s13 hatch. i dont know what year is the best if any for the swap. Or if there are any years i should stay away from all together.

i know realize the title sounds retarded. wish i could change it
RktBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #2
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
the mk1 & mk2 have the same everything, except bumper, hood, and some brackets front.
most mk1 have smaller brake rotors, & a lot of the mk2 owners complain about the oem bumper radiator opening being too small.

In any case, you can swap parts from 1 model to the other so it wont matter (you ARE going to bin the brakes anyway, and i guess it will have a bodykit too)
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:52 AM   #3
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
And the harnesses are different
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:19 AM   #4
RktBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
the mk1 & mk2 have the same everything, except bumper, hood, and some brackets front.
most mk1 have smaller brake rotors, & a lot of the mk2 owners complain about the oem bumper radiator opening being too small.

In any case, you can swap parts from 1 model to the other so it wont matter (you ARE going to bin the brakes anyway, and i guess it will have a bodykit too)
Thanks broski
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
And the harnesses are different

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RktBunny View Post
i want to put it in a s13 hatch. i dont know what year is the best.
All USDM s13's from the front seats to the headlights is the same. Other than the convertibles, which are a convertible.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
RktBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruked View Post
All USDM s13's from the front seats to the headlights is the same. Other than the convertibles, which are a convertible.
Thanks. I just didn't want to get one and have it be a nightmare to swap [emoji24]

Old 09-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post

You're assuming he's going to do a brake upgrade... It would be wise if he did, that's for sure. However, seeing as he had to ask this question rather than researching it, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2j with stock brakes on the car.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
RktBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
You're assuming he's going to do a brake upgrade... It would be wise if he did, that's for sure. However, seeing as he had to ask this question rather than researching it, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2j with stock brakes on the car.
Lol asking this question on a forum is research isn't it? This is the whole point of this forum and community is to learn from each other. Yes I'm doing a break job, putting some work on the suspension too. I'm going to school so I'm doing the projects when I can at the shop. Im in trans right now, need one to rebuild, doing engines next semester, need one to rebuild. So that's why I asked about the swap. Thanks for your master tech advice though bud! 😁😁😁

Old 09-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
NISR20MO
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (29)
NISR20MO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Are you asking if there is a preferred chassis for a 2JZ swap to come from, which might make for an easier swap into a S13?

Or which S13 chassis (vert/hatch/coupe) will receive the swap better?

Kinda hard to tell. I'm for your sake assuming you already know what everyone mentioned above, because I can see how the question can be difficult to word. From above for example all S13's have the same exact engine bay and crappy front brakes, everything firewall forward is the same except for the convertibles which have a lot of extra sheet metal bracing outside of the engine bay (which means nothing is different for your swap)

All S13's are OBDI and the JZ series engines have the turbo on the passenger side, both are good things for a swap in a LHD US-spec 240SX.
NISR20MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:20 PM   #10
RktBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISR20MO View Post
Are you asking if there is a preferred chassis for a 2JZ swap to come from, which might make for an easier swap into a S13?

Or which S13 chassis (vert/hatch/coupe) will receive the swap better?

Kinda hard to tell. I'm for your sake assuming you already know what everyone mentioned above, because I can see how the question can be difficult to word. From above for example all S13's have the same exact engine bay and crappy front brakes, everything firewall forward is the same except for the convertibles which have a lot of extra sheet metal bracing outside of the engine bay (which means nothing is different for your swap)

All S13's are OBDI and the JZ series engines have the turbo on the passenger side, both are good things for a swap in a LHD US-spec 240SX.
I guess I was asking for a preferred chassis to avoid headache for myself. Thank you guys for working with me on my horribly worded question.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #11
AzS13hatch
Leaky Injector

AzS13hatch is an unknown quantity at this point
As stated above, s13 is all the same in the engine bay. Now days with all the swap kits and wiring companies having already figured out really nice harnesses without doing a one off custom, this swap is getting easier and easier. Basically a bolt in affair. There is a lot of great info on the swap itself all over zilvia if you do a search, should make your swap extremely painless. Unless you have my bad luck of course and everything goes wrong.
AzS13hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #12
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
+1 at this point the hardest part of the swap might be the intercooler piping

When I did one, that was really the hardest part, other than getting the engine harness right, which at the time was like trying to wire one person's brain into another person's body, but im sure wiring specialties has a swap harness for this thatd be SO worth the money spent
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #13
RktBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
+1 at this point the hardest part of the swap might be the intercooler piping

When I did one, that was really the hardest part, other than getting the engine harness right, which at the time was like trying to wire one person's brain into another person's body, but im sure wiring specialties has a swap harness for this thatd be SO worth the money spent
I'll look into it. Thanks man!

Old 09-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #14
AzS13hatch
Leaky Injector

There are a bunch of companies now that make plug and play harnesses, all you need is a speedo and tach adapter from dakota digital or something equivalent and done. Just ship them the jz harness once you get the engine and usually by the time you have the motor in the car and ready to start, the harness will be complete and sent back to you.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:02 PM   #15
RktBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzS13hatch View Post
There are a bunch of companies now that make plug and play harnesses, all you need is a speedo and tach adapter from dakota digital or something equivalent and done. Just ship them the jz harness once you get the engine and usually by the time you have the motor in the car and ready to start, the harness will be complete and sent back to you.
Best info I've got yet. Much love brother

Old 09-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #16
AzS13hatch
Leaky Injector

What the forum is for right? But make sure whichever company you end up going with, talk to them before get the engine, and make sure to tell them exactly what you want and if you are going with a specific trans. I went with the z33 trans (which doesn't have a speed sensor) so just be aware and give them as much info as you can think of and then more haha. It's easier to give them more info than they need and for them to just disregard it. Rather than you not giving enough and them making a base harness that will work but might need slight modification. I learned all this a minute too late because I built a custom chassis harness myself and didn't know which trans I was going to use when I had the harness made, learn from my mistakes. Also, if you plan on running a wideband and no other o2 sensors, you can use most as the "narrowband" that the ecu sees. Just a little extra fyi
Old 09-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #17
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by RktBunny View Post
Lol asking this question on a forum is research isn't it? This is the whole point of this forum and community is to learn from each other. Yes I'm doing a break job, putting some work on the suspension too. I'm going to school so I'm doing the projects when I can at the shop. Im in trans right now, need one to rebuild, doing engines next semester, need one to rebuild. So that's why I asked about the swap. Thanks for your master tech advice though bud! 😁😁😁

I suppose you're correct. However, at the end of the day, it's what ever you want to work with. No one here is buying your chassis and/or parts, so use you're head and make big boy decisions. With that said, there isn't any one specific chassis that is better between the S13's (coupe/hatch). If that's what you have your little heart set on, I suggest finding a rust free one. An S14 would be a better chassis to start with, but also more up front cost is involved. When you do your "brake" job, don't "break" the bank with upgrades... . Good luck with the build dude, if you do your research, you'll find the 2j thread on this forum some where.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #18
RktBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I suppose you're correct. However, at the end of the day, it's what ever you want to work with. No one here is buying your chassis and/or parts, so use you're head and make big boy decisions. With that said, there isn't any one specific chassis that is better between the S13's (coupe/hatch). If that's what you have your little heart set on, I suggest finding a rust free one. An S14 would be a better chassis to start with, but also more up front cost is involved. When you do your "brake" job, don't "break" the bank with upgrades... . Good luck with the build dude, if you do your research, you'll find the 2j thread on this forum some where.
Thanks bud!