Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
sr20 oil feed nightmare

ok so i have a isis turbo line kit on my car and when installing them to start my swap since the stock lines were cracked i stripped the threads!i retapped..helicoil kit and still leaks!!what should be my best bet?
-retapping using a bigger banjo bolt and fitting
-just get rid of the banjo bolt and use a straight through AN fitting
-or use a greddy oil block adapter and get oil from that and plug the stock oil feed location with a normal m12x1.25 bolt and jb weld it..

lmk what has worked the best for anybody who has ran into this problem before..thanks
angel mkiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
I stripped mine out not too long ago, and I just drilled it out with a 7/16" drill bit, then used a 1/4 NPT-18 tap and tapped it out to that NPT fitting, then bought a -3AN male to 1/4 NPT male fitting from Earls/NOS whatever. And ran that. I did mine a lil over a week ago, and I have had great success with it.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
I would have someone qualified weld a AN flare on it. Considering you've already attempted re-tapping it.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14unimog View Post
I would have someone qualified weld a AN flare on it. Considering you've already attempted re-tapping it.
Yup, that's what I would do as well. Leak proof then for sure.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Yea, depending on how much he has already ripped out, he might be able to get that 1/4NPT to work. I did that with mine, and it was a pretty tight tap, used a bit of teflon tape to finish it off, but I am leak free!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
SofaKingFast
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (43)
SofaKingFast is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SofaKingFast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
I stripped mine out not too long ago, and I just drilled it out with a 7/16" drill bit, then used a 1/4 NPT-18 tap and tapped it out to that NPT fitting, then bought a -3AN male to 1/4 NPT male fitting from Earls/NOS whatever. And ran that. I did mine a lil over a week ago, and I have had great success with it.
I did the same thing as BlackZenki. Get rid of that banjo bolt.
SofaKingFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
beatd
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
beatd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel mkiv View Post
ok so i have a isis turbo line kit on my car and when installing them to start my swap since the stock lines were cracked i stripped the threads!i retapped..helicoil kit and still leaks!!what should be my best bet?
-retapping using a bigger banjo bolt and fitting
-just get rid of the banjo bolt and use a straight through AN fitting
-or use a greddy oil block adapter and get oil from that and plug the stock oil feed location with a normal m12x1.25 bolt and jb weld it..

lmk what has worked the best for anybody who has ran into this problem before..thanks
OMG! i'm on the same boat as you! i'm completely pissed off about it. i even tried a longer banjo bolt and it still leaks. About 40% of the threads are stripped. What are you planning to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKingFast View Post
I did the same thing as BlackZenki. Get rid of that banjo bolt.
Quote:
Yea, depending on how much he has already ripped out, he might be able to get that 1/4NPT to work. I did that with mine, and it was a pretty tight tap, used a bit of teflon tape to finish it off, but I am leak free!
black - did you do this while the motor was still in the car? i'm was about to pull the whole thing out just to do it right. i'm tired of it leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14unimog View Post
please explain! i need more info please.
beatd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatd View Post
black - did you do this while the motor was still in the car? i'm was about to pull the whole thing out just to do it right. i'm tired of it leaking
Fortunately, I had the engine on a stand when I came to this issue. So I just did it then. I imagine it'd be a nightmare with the engine in the car.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
beatd
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Fortunately, I had the engine on a stand when I came to this issue. So I just did it then. I imagine it'd be a nightmare with the engine in the car.
oh man i think about the first 40% of the threads are stripped. do you think i could follow the route you took or have someone weld an AN flare to the block like everyone else suggested?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

well the beauty of NPT, is that it is a tapered thread, and it is slightly larger than the OEM bolt hole, I would imagine you would be fine to be honest, you could try it, and if it doesnt work, you can still have that fitting welded on and achieve the same thing.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
beatd
Leaky Injector

i'm going to try to do it while the motor is in the car if not i'll pull the whole thing. is it possible to change the oil feed line without putting the manifold? i'm guessing no

/end threadjacking
Old 09-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
The oil feed isn't in a terrible spot, should be able to get to it with the engine in the car yet. However pulling the manifold would make it MUCH easier.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote