Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
bllabong89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
SLYDEurTYRE S14 Build...pic heavy

Rush Garage

So I traded my ek civic hatch for my current 1995 s14 in late 2009. I have always wanted a 240 and I finally have one after years of searching. This is my first and only 240sx. My pops has a 280z with 35k original miles.

I have never done a full build or anything to this caliber or detail before so I may do things a little unorthadox but it has been turning out pretty decent so far...

About a week after I traded my car, I was sitting at a stop sign and some kid thinkin hes speed racer came flying around the corner. He came through my lane and caught the front of my car on the side of his saturn.

Afterwards, he admitted to the cop that he cut the corner to sharp, hit me and was speeding...when he talked to the insurance people, he said that I hit him. So for me sitting at a stop sign, I was awarded 40% of the fault because "I should have seen him coming." lol, ok.

I roughly received around 1900 for the damages to my car...With that, I bought some new parts.

Kouki front end

APEXi GT Spec Exhaust

Tein Basic Coilovers(will be changed...don't worry)

Cusco Spin Knob

So I put all of the above on. The kouki front had a shattered drivers headlight and a smashed up passenger fender from the previous owner sliding off the road and hitting a sewer. I ended up buying a fender from nissan(was not cheap even with my body shop discount) and a headlight off ebay.

my buddies s2k in the back

I put the exhaust on and replaced the old shitty thing that was supposedly called an exhaust system.lol. I also put the E-brake knob on. Didn't do to well since I changed my brake pads and noticed that my passenger ebrake cable was snapped...

I also started gathering parts over the winter to install.

Yamato Garage suspension parts

JDM Kouki Grill

I also got a Mishimoto Radiator

My NRG Short Hub and Q/R with my Nardi/Fardi Suede Steering Wheel

I ended up installing the steering wheel and the radiator. My buddies brother busted his radiator so I sold him my stock one and threw my new one on.

After that stuff, I started on the rust and remodeling work. I had some mean rust underneath my back left drivers seat mount.

I was going to try and keep the seat mount but I saw this so decided to get rid of it all

After I cut it out...

And then I began to bend some 16ga. steel up and started welding it in.

Its not the best but it holds very well

I put the seat in and marked where the mount needed to be. The new floor pan was almost the perfect height.

I also picked up a new nut and welded it to a square of 16ga. Once I had the hole drilled, I threaded the nut on and welded the plate into position.

I also have some rust on my rocker panel...which I cut out but haven't fixed yet.lol

And the aftermath...

By this time, I had found a good deal on an Origin Streamline Aero kit so I went ahead and picked it up.

The front went on pretty well, the sides and back are a different story. I still need to finish them up. A little bit of cutting and fiberglass work...But I did get the new grill on for a sneek peek

I also picked up some POR-15 rust preventative paint, marine clean and metal ready for the interior one finished.

And here is my Greddy Type S BOV awaiting a turbo

And some SS brake lines I picked up from AMS Motorsports for the cheap

I know this is alot of pictures of parts but I am waiting on finishing up the body before putting the goodies on for the most part.

I have been thinking of getting a steering quickener but haven't decided on it completely yet.

I did manage to build my Power Brace tho...

bllabong89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

I started taking off all of the suspension parts, brakes and hubs for my new brake and hub setup

My EVO8 Big brakes

and some extended studs

for my fresh POR-15 painted hubs

And after getting that stuff off, I found yet some more rust...Yay

I decided to just go ahead and go all out...so I pulled my front end and starteed pulling the engine harness and all the little stuff to pull the motor. I also pulled all of the interior out to finish the sound deadening removal and stitch welding.

Again, this is my first time so the stitch welds and everything isn't perfect but its going pretty well I think

I finished all of the inside besides the firewall and the trunk. Once the motor is out, I will most likely be tubbing the front and I will stitch weld everything up there too.

I pulled all of the wires out of the car.

And was left with this...

I will be doing a full tuck and fuse box relocation, battery in the back, full interior/exterior paint job, remove and redo undercoating, put good sound deadening back in and I am planning either a v8 or rb swap...This is all for today but I will update shortly.lol. thats just funny lookin

Last edited by bllabong89; 07-21-2010 at 09:20 AM..
Old 07-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
Smurf_240SX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Smurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Smurf_240SX
looking good!

FS OEM RB25 PARTS
Smurf_240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
lysticalz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
lysticalz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
looking good soo far bro. i had to trim my origin stream sides and rear as well to get it fitting good.
lysticalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
HouseElf
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
HouseElf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i love builds like this... go RB please! love those engines so much
HouseElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
arsenics14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
arsenics14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
YaY ! Looking good.
arsenics14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
zinnythecoupe

zinnythecoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
what are you doing with the gold "mesh" wheels??
zinnythecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
rb25_s13*CHUKI
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
rb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rb25_s13*CHUKI
Do a rb swap, Rb26 with 25 tranny please! I promise you WILL be happy with the powerband and rpm's of the 26!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
jambadre
Zilvia Member

jambadre is an unknown quantity at this point
That power brace is SICK! and yes an RB is a must have...
jambadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Great work so far! Glad to see you're not planning to cut corners with your build!
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
jbmintz

jbmintz is an unknown quantity at this point
2jz > 1jz > RB all day.... lots of reasons why too. On the JZ engines, the turbo sits on passenger side, keeping your brake master cyl and clutch master away from the heat.
jbmintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #12
Dustxking
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
Dustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Looks good, and looks like your doing it right the first time. Good luck with everything!
Dustxking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:04 AM   #13
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Did you get the Brackets for your EVO brakes? depend on bracket, You might need bigger rotors than stock EVO size.. I have cross/drilled stcok EVO size rotors and I got the brackets from person from here zilvia. but calipers sit further than the way it should be..

I would say,,, at least 1/4" ? I am going to change brake pads soon, so I will post pics of uneven worn pads.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

No. I haven't gotten my brackets yet. I was thinking of gettin the skunkworks ones but I could always have some made
Old 07-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #15
miravete
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (44)
miravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
lol on the nismo cat
Old 07-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #16
Killa_D
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (39)
Killa_D can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
man sucks you have so much rust but i like where the car is going to props.
Killa_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Go KA-T to be cool . But I agree with everyone. Looking good. *thumbs up
iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #18
tinys s14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
tinys s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowntinys s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowntinys s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowntinys s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowntinys s14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
lmaoo gotta get me a nismo collar for my cat now
Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #19
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinnythecoupe View Post
what are you doing with the gold "mesh" wheels??
I will be selling them. I had them on a local forum for 250. A few people interested but no one with cash. I need to get some 17's or bigger for the new brakes.

I am def. not cutting corners. I have had cars that were cheaply built and after all the work of gettin this car, I will not do that to it. I bought this car with the intention of building a full drift car but its nice having a car that you love so I have decided to build it as a dd but reliable and capable enough to take to the track.

That is the reason behind trying to fix every little issue from the beginning. I haven't fully decided on an engine yet but a buddy of mine has an lq4(ls2 with steel block) for 250 that needs heads that I may pick up. The one thing that I want to keep is my a/c. This is the first car I have had with it and I don't want to get rid of it now.lol

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I will try to update as often as possible.

As far as the car work over the weekend goes, I finished the stitch welding in the trunk with exception of a couple rust sections I have to fix. I will update with pics once I fine my SD Card.

I also picked up a section of 1'x1' square tubing that I will be using to make my own fender brace. I was having some trouble with the sand I picked up from home depot for my sandblaster being to wet so I scattered it across my garage floor and put a fan on it so I will be updating with picks of that progress also. Sorry for all the words.lol
Old 07-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #20
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

So as I have been sitting at my desk, bored like usual...I have been looking on youtube and other websites and two things came to my attention.

I found these that I want and will probally be getting when I get payed.

The only thing that I am questioning is if I install these, can I eliminate my brake booster? I have never even thought of using these before but I think it would be good to have so please, let me know.

I also found this on youtube under my recomendations...

This is the eastwood powdercoating gun. I think I may pick this up to do my own small parts so I wont have to pay out the ass and can have things done on my time schedule.

And last but not least, I found some pics of my old civic. It's not the best but it was a fun car to drive...Enjoi

If anyone has any info on the brake/clutch pedal setup, please inform me
Old 07-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #21
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
if those pedals come with their own cylinder ( believe they do ) then yes you can eliminate ur BMC,.. as long as all lines are basically ran the same.

build is legit man,. i kno what its like,.....lol
so if ya have any questions just ask
Old 07-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #22
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
HAHA I have times as well at work when I should be doing actual work rather then spending time on Yahoo Japan auctions...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #23
second_chanceS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (19)
second_chanceS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
everything your doing to the car is right, u wanna know where u killed it? going kouki front end. Should of kept it Zenki.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #24
stockbee
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
stockbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stockbee
I'll second that. But to each his own. Nothing looks more normal. I think the kouki doesn't match the body lines of rear of the car, just me.

Keep up the good work. Congratulations on having the cajones to get a rusty car and fix it. That's awesome.
stockbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #25
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Yea, they have their own cylinders. I was just wondering if I could eliminate the brake booster(if thats what its called) with it because I want to clean up my bay and it looks alot cleaner with out that big ass round thing there.

Yea, I am more of a kouki guy. I just like how it looks angry. The zenki front just looks to much like an old grandmas car.lol
Old 07-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #26
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

So I sold my turbo that I have had sitting around and I found some goodies on craigslist.

I got some Greddy Gracer side skirts for 100 with no cracks and painted to match(even tho I will most likely change my car color). The guys car that I got them from was the sickest "old folks gold" s14 I have seen. I hope my car looks as clean as his when I'm done.

I also ran some sand thru the sand blaster and found that I will be buying actual abrasive blasting media because the fine grade sand I tried was not fine enough.lol

On another note, I am finishing up the stitch welding and will start on my rear wire harness to eliminate and clean things up
Old 07-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #27
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Heres a little bit of an update. I worked on the trunk last night trying to finish up the stitch welding. I am almost done, not including the engine bay and firewall yet tho.

Here is some rust that I need to fix still

And here is a pic of the passenger side after I finished all the welds up

And here is the trunk stuff...

I am going to try and teach my g/f how to fiberglass tonight when I start cutting into the rear bumper. My origin rear fits like poo so I need to cut both sides off and pull them in several inches.

and again, if you are going to criticize on my stitch welding...be gentle.lol. This is the first time I have ever attempted it so hopefully its up to zilvia standards and thanks for reading
Old 07-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #28
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
On the stitch welding, you should weld little 1" long or so beads rather than spot welding. Really you just need to lay one of those little welds in between each factory weld.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #29
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Yea, I tried to run beads like that but the metal was so thin that it would blow thru. I have a older century welder that only has wire speed and high and low mode and even with it on low, it would get to hot. Thats why I just decided to go with alot of spot welds
Old 07-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #30
greddy2die
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
greddy2die is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greddy2die
looks good man!
greddy2die is offline   Reply With Quote