Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #421
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WhiteGLX Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteGLX
who, i went a whole event with no burned up pistons....20 events and only 1 blown motor, those are pretty good odds id say

***NASA HPDE Instructor***
WhiteGLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #422
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
re-did my oil relocation and oil-cooler lines over the weekend with some fittings a SS line i had laying around from my brothers old car. Worked out quite nicely and now its a very sealed and secure setup.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #423
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

well fellas im heading out on my 12hr drive to Chicago, then to Gingerman Raceway from there. Wish me luck, if you happen to be nearby feel free to come say hi over the weekend. Oh and i have been tossing the idea of racing around for the end of next year, its a big debate tho.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #424
honeybadger
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
honeybadger is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Isnt positioning the oil relocation thing pointing downwards kind of inconvenient when changing filters? (if you fill the filter up with a bit of oil before installing)
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #425
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
Isnt positioning the oil relocation thing pointing downwards kind of inconvenient when changing filters? (if you fill the filter up with a bit of oil before installing)

i dont fill my filter before installing, for removing, i punch a hole in the top of the filter, and use an air nozzle to blast a tiny bit of air into the filter to push all the oil out, removal is clean and easy.

plus i didnt have the fittings to install the setup with the filter hanging down, so it started as a convenience thing, its no harder to remove the filter this way than the other, once you know how.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #426
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

UPDATE!!!!!

got back from gingermanthis morning, nonstop 12hrs of driving after the event...awesome....not so much.

the track was cool, more-so than i had originally thought.

Sat -
Rained all day, sloppy wet track, guys with all-seasons and AWD dominated, i was all over the place with Hankook slicks, but i was enjoying my track time (i snuck in 2.5hrs) i ran with 2 groups, it was nice...even tho it was wet. Car started having battery light come on, and odd misfire at high rpm when defrost and wipers were operating on track. Learned a basic enough line i could slide around the track and not be rediculously slow, still able to pull 95mph on the front strait in the rain, pretty good in comparison to the other guys becaus eof my last turn exit strategy.

Sun-
the track dried up after some light rain in the morning. bat issues ocntinued, found a broken case ground, fixed it, problem persisted, ECU seems to be in limp mode, or there is a huge lack of electrical power to the entire system at high rpm, causeing the misfire. Fien tuned my line, ended uphavign to run the course in 4th gear mostly just to maintain speed in the corners and limp my way down the straist at 4k rpm in 5th gear..not so awesome, but i learned alot about eliminating shifts in about 7 corners, carried alot mroe speed this way and really used the car more, great experience no matter how annoying on the straits. Everyone on teh sidelines said i was commign through a few of the corners faster than everyone....then i confused them with my partial throttle and no speed on the straits. If i had the engine power i did last event i would have completely whopped up on the whole instructor group, but i was limited to tailgating through the turns and then watching on the straits. Oh i again ran in 2 run groups, got another 2.5hrs track time. 5 hrs track time in 2 days, talk about tiring, and sneaky, no one at the event besides me and my brother had that much or even close, it was nice to abuse the system.

Issue seems to be directly related to my alternator, puts out 15V at idle, so the car runs fine of fthe alt, but it doesnt seem to be putting out any AMPs to charge the battery, so i killed the bat in a few sessions then the alt kept me alive, but very limited on power, causing the limp mode. I have a back-up alt here at home, a test this week/weekend will show the culprit and maybe the cure. Some good pics to follow soo, have to round them up from the track guys.

gingerman is deff. the track to hit if your within a reasonable drive, very fun, very fast, lots of safe run-off space, and fairly grippy tack surface, difficult race line to pick up, party line was a joke, but the fast line was a lil hard to get on. Wish i had gotten video, i was too busy with track time, schedule was too fu*ked up to spend time setting up camera.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #427
240sxScores
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
240sxScores is making a name for him/her self240sxScores is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240sxScores
Ill be getting ready to do my first HPDE at VIR in august. Its through trackdaze have you ever done a hpde with them before? Is there anything you could recommend i do to the car before the event? A friend told me a oil cooler on the ka would be a good thing because the oil likes to get hot fast, what do you think?
240sxScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #428
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxScores View Post
Ill be getting ready to do my first HPDE at VIR in august. Its through trackdaze have you ever done a hpde with them before? Is there anything you could recommend i do to the car before the event? A friend told me a oil cooler on the ka would be a good thing because the oil likes to get hot fast, what do you think?

On a completely stock car i suggest good brake fluid, and Hawk HPS or HP+brake pads, no other mods especially for someone with 0 expereince on track.

oil cooler is not necessary, you dont know how to push the car hard enough yet to get oil temps high. Not making fun, its a true statement about beginners and evena few levels up from that.

go over the whoel car and check to be sure every bolt is tight, fluids are topped off, nothign is leaving (excessively), a drip here or there is no biggie, but be sure your not making a mess otherwise your hurting everyones track time. And whatever you have for a seat/harness have the identical for the passenger/instructor.

Stock seats and belts are perfect. Stok seats with 4pnt harness is no dice, throw away any 4pnt harness, they are junk. 5pnt or 6 pnt only and with a quality set, no stock seats work well with harness's.

I have done 2 trazckdaze events, ran in one and instructed one. They are organizzed, you get a good amount of track time and classroom time. Be sure to attend all classroom sessions you will learn alot.

any other questions feel free to ask. I was planning on going down to VIR again this year, but i have had too much traveling and trackign as it is i need to cut back a tad.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #429
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Well, I just got back from another trackday at the streets of willow. All in all the day went good for me, but I just couldn't get the speed out of the car that I wanted. I think it had something to do with 100+ degree temps while running azenis STILL! I tried running with the stock 15mm rear bar, but the car was soo all over the place that I dis-connected it just to make it easier for me to drive. I ran a second slower than my previous best, which was pretty much par for the course as everyone was doing pretty much the same. As the day wore on though the car just lost more and more time, which made me un-happy. I was having trouble up-shifting into 3rd and 4th all day and just as I was leaving the trans got jammed in reverse. After beating on the shifter I was able to get the trans out of reverse, but no 3rd or 4th. So I beat on it some more and managed to get it to go into 3rd and 4th so at least I could drive it home. The trans failure actually made me feel better as I was thinking it was my driving that was causing me to grind gears all day. All in all not too bad for me. My buddy burned up a ring on #1 cylinder of his honda though, so his day was pretty crap. I let him drive my car in one of the last sessions though so at least he got back on the track.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #430
240sxScores
Zilvia Junkie

240sxScores is making a name for him/her self240sxScores is making a name for him/her self
So if i have a bucket seat and 5pt harness for driver side, i HAVE to have the identical setup for the passenger?
Old 07-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #431
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
So if i have a bucket seat and 5pt harness for driver side, i HAVE to have the identical setup for the passenger?
Think about it. If YOU were an instructor would it make you happy to be sitting in a stock seat and hanging on for dear life and the guy you are supposed to be instructing is all comfy and snug in a racing bucket and 5-point would YOU be happy? I think it's kind of an etiquette thing.

EDIT: I already sourced a trans and a spec lightweight flywheel! YAY, I should have reverse and 5th tonight or tomorrow night!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #432
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:

you dont HAVE to, but the instructor also dont HAVE to get in the car with you if he feels unfsafe. no reason for you to be safe and secure and him stuck in a stock seat and belt thrown all over the place.

As an instructor, i prefer to feel as safe as the driver feels getting into his own car. I am putting my life in your hands so i i should be just as protected if not more than you. Only one i got in a car with a crap harness and seat, odsd are i will never do it again because the driver had a very sloppy put togeather 240 and it was his first event on a rain weekend, he wasnt going to be going very fast.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #433
240sxScores
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGLX View Post
you dont HAVE to, but the instructor also dont HAVE to get in the car with you if he feels unfsafe. no reason for you to be safe and secure and him stuck in a stock seat and belt thrown all over the place.

As an instructor, i prefer to feel as safe as the driver feels getting into his own car. I am putting my life in your hands so i i should be just as protected if not more than you. Only one i got in a car with a crap harness and seat, odsd are i will never do it again because the driver had a very sloppy put togeather 240 and it was his first event on a rain weekend, he wasnt going to be going very fast.
Did you get my PM??
Old 07-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #434
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Did you get my PM??
i responded to the thread before the PM, force of habit.

replied to PM

Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #435
racepar1
Post Whore!

YAY!!!! Reverse and 5th gear have been restored! Unfortuanetly it took untill 1am to do it as I had to pull the trans and flywheel out of another car before they could go in mine, but it was totally worth it!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #436
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Which lip looks better, i am in the process of switching bumpers so i can have a more functional front end for ducting and such. So i need to know which one looks more function, it will be black so details of each doesnt matter, color hides it fairly well.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #437
KwKouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
KwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KwKouki
I like the eastbear lip, bings makes a incredible replica of it too

I dunno if you have read Sachas thread on ziptied but he made a msports front end VERY functional for ducting and whatnot, you should look into it
Old 08-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #438
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

im not about to go buy a whoel front bumper, the cheapest method is what i need, track time costs money and that will always take priority over fancy parts.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #439
KwKouki
Nissanaholic!

KwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to KwKouki
<3 thank you for saying that off you go to bings.ca then and pick up the lip

*edit* I love this thread so much, its so full of win

Last edited by KwKouki; 08-07-2008 at 11:17 PM..
KwKouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #440
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Which lip looks better, i am in the process of switching bumpers so i can have a more functional front end for ducting and such. So i need to know which one looks more function, it will be black so details of each doesnt matter, color hides it fairly well.

Eastbear lip FTW! The bomex lip just looks ghey! I really don't see anything on the bomex lip that looks to be any better for ducting or aerodynamics either.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #441
MomentumGT
Zilvia.net Advertiser

MomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Good to see this thread is still going strong after my long absences. Happy racing, GL, and stay safe.

-Jon

momentumgt.com - "building blocks of speed"
MomentumGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #442
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Jon you racing with NASA this year?

I Have been updating the thread with my events and car progress this year, but most of the guys who chimed in this winter all disappeard.

I Have done 5 events this year and i have 4 more to go. I will be instructing 3 of the next 4 events that way one event i can concentrate on driver ability instead of worrying about my students.

Give up some car updates, race updates, video something, W2W on this forum is so scarce it seems almost necessary for us to update contently to help and attract more kids into roadracing and away from "drifting".

Old 08-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #443
MomentumGT
Zilvia.net Advertiser

MomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Jon you racing with NASA this year?

I Have been updating the thread with my events and car progress this year, but most of the guys who chimed in this winter all disappeard.

I Have done 5 events this year and i have 4 more to go. I will be instructing 3 of the next 4 events that way one event i can concentrate on driver ability instead of worrying about my students.

Give up some car updates, race updates, video something, W2W on this forum is so scarce it seems almost necessary for us to update contently to help and attract more kids into roadracing and away from "drifting".
Ever since we punched a hole in the block last year the car has been in pieces, sort of. So we haven't competed in NASA for quite sometime with the 240, but with the Honda Challenge car. Rebuilt our spare motor so everything is good. I have a PainLess wiring kit that I tried to install, needless to say it isn't painless. LOL. Other than that the car is ready to rock when ever I feel the urge to finish it. .

I got some really good footage of races past, even footage of when we got hit/rubbed/drilled into the dirt. Everything is rough but I'll see what I can dig up.

Looks like you got a busy schedule of instructing...that's great, keep that up and eventually we'll be trading paint soon.

-Jon

momentumgt.com - "building blocks of speed"
MomentumGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #444
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

UPDATE!!!!

I have come to a crossroads, time to start thinking about the future, not settling down with babies type of future, but thinking about legitimately racing or always being an HPDE whore/instructor.

W2W Racing-

Racing would be great, it is possible to do it cheap, tho it would directly hurt being competitive (ie r-comp take-offs, heavy chassis, lacking aero, only racing at close tracks). I am able to get my car to fit into the NASA PTB class with some weight reduction (-200 lbs) and hopefully be competitive once i learn some more about trusting the brakes and tires even more than i already do. PTA would involve Aero work, more power, and wider rubber, all in all a more expensive class especially once the expensive wheels and aero gets banged up racing.

I would go through Comp. school next october at the end of the season and race the following year, and possibly once before the year was over just to get my feet wet.

HPDE Whore -

I would sell my car and all spares to get the most out of it financially. Buy something as a DD/Track warrior and use a small tire trailer to haul tool and rubber to the track. Car would have rollbar and CF buckets for tracking, but also be modded enough to be a DD also. This would be the best long term budget tho maybe not the most fulfilling. New car + lots of track time instructing would be fun to learn something all over again and spend 20min packing up at the end of the weekend instead of 1.5hrs loading up the car, trailer and all the BS that goes with it.

I am just trying to decide if its worth it to keep my cr and race, keep my car and continue instructing, or switch to a different car and instruct. No matter what i will continue tracking, it is far to addicting and fun no matter how bad of a weekend i have to let it all go.

Any input on my mind boggling decisions is more than welcome, throw out some pros and cons if you want.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:05 AM   #445
S14SwimShark105
Zilvia Junkie

S14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her selfS14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to S14SwimShark105
At the moment I would fall into the HPDE/Daily driver thing, it sounds cool to be able to track and daily drive your car but you will obviously spend more time on the street than on the track and it's not fun having a small bucket seat for daily driver.haha
But it is cheaper than hauling a trailer around and stuff like that.

If I were you, I'd just put a quiet quiet exhaust on your track car now and drive it to the track with a small tire-hauler or whatever else you need to bring and once you get to the track put on the race exhaust, straight pipe whatever.

I have a friend that runs in the honda challenge series and he drives his race car to and from the track, all he does is swap out the wheels and the exhaust when he gets to the track and it's race ready. But it isn't his full daily driver just sometimes. He just throws all of his equipment into his car and he's good to go.

Personally I would keep your car and race it, unless you have another dream race car you want to build, like a porsche 944 or a e36 M3 haha
So much money in the end though, I wish I was rich haha
Old 08-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #446
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

well unfortunatly i cant do that with my car unless i buy a full electrical chassi harness and do a silvia front end to keep my IC setup the way it is.

Id like to keep it, i just want to drive to the track for awhile, but i need a different car or do alot of work to get to that point, decisions decisions....

Old 08-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #447
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
well unfortunatly i cant do that with my car unless i buy a full electrical chassi harness and do a silvia front end to keep my IC setup the way it is.

Id like to keep it, i just want to drive to the track for awhile, but i need a different car or do alot of work to get to that point, decisions decisions....
If that is all you would have to do then do it. The chasis harness will be cheap, just a lot of work to remove it from somebody's parts car. The silvia front can be sourced for $600 or less and takes a few hours to install. This is the cheapest and easiest solution. Less than $1000 worth of parts and a few days labor.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #448
Maximamike
Zilvia Junkie

Maximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
If that is all you would have to do then do it. The chasis harness will be cheap, just a lot of work to remove it from somebody's parts car. The silvia front can be sourced for $600 or less and takes a few hours to install. This is the cheapest and easiest solution. Less than $1000 worth of parts and a few days labor.
Trade chassis harness for painless harness? Hmm..
Maximamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #449
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

All done the changes i have been working on to make the car "seem" legal, so i can drive it to local track events for lapping days and such. No daylight shots yet, ikeep forgetting after work.

high-beams and headlights work independently of each other and blinkers work separately from daytime running lights.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:05 PM   #450
180Sil
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
180Sil will become famous soon enough180Sil will become famous soon enough180Sil will become famous soon enough180Sil will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I'll be doing my first HPDE event on nov 1st at Lime Rock, my 240 was always built for the street so for my first HPDE i'm gonna bleed the brakes and put in ATE blue or Motul BF600, make sure my tires have good thread and put in more aggressive brake pads (PMU HC+).

Is there anything else I'm missing for my first HPDE?

I'm not sure how I'll like it but I want to be safe and not spend too much $$$ in case I don't like it. I'm not gonna try to go fast but I want to learn the line and flags and hand signal, pretty much the rules on the track on my first HPDE.
180Sil is offline   Reply With Quote