Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
jharper

Trader Rating: (0)
jharper is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oxygen / 02 Sensor doesn't register?

My car has been sluggish lately with slight bogging/hesitation problems. I've checked compression, spark, and fuel with no problems there. Today I disconnected my O2 sensor to see if it runs any different in open loop and absolutely nothing changed. My check engine light didn't even go on. So now what?
jharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
SoguRacing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
SoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SoguRacing
a bad o2 sensor will not cause drivability problems. check for vacuum leaks. you chould have a bad tps. there are so many factors. we need more detailed information.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoguRacing View Post
a bad o2 sensor will not cause drivability problems. check for vacuum leaks. you chould have a bad tps. there are so many factors. we need more detailed information.

Are you sure?
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
miggypq21
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
miggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud ofmiggypq21 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to miggypq21
Actually, a bad o2 sensor will make the car run pig rich, is your car modified any? Best thing to do would be disconnect the o2 from the harness, and use a multimeter to see what the voltage is reading if any.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Just buy this http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=NGK%2D23044&N=700 +4294907666+4294907508+4294924755+115&autoview=sku (s14)
Old 07-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
SoguRacing
Post Whore!

SoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfection
haha, i have a redtop sr. obd 1 cars dont use the full capability of the o2 sensor. the o2 just helps out at cruise and idle. i dont even have an o2 sensor wire on my car and it runs fine. it will run a bit rich but nothing noticeable unless you're checking your mileage every day. for you i would check vacuum leaks and maybe your maf sensor. those are usually the culprits. and while you're at it, check the ohms of the coolant temp sensor.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
jharper

My car runs the same whether I have the o2 sensor plugged in or not. Idles perfectly and cruises no problem. All my grounds are good. My maf sensor checks out perfect as well as my tps. Car doesn't have any modifications other than emissions removal and a cooler thermostat. I can check the coolant temp sensor but I doubt that's the problem. My main problem is slow acceleration which doesn't seem to be O2 sensor related; however, I'm slightly shocked that unplugging the o2 sensor has no effect on anything.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharper View Post
My car runs the same whether I have the o2 sensor plugged in or not. Idles perfectly and cruises no problem. All my grounds are good. My maf sensor checks out perfect as well as my tps. Car doesn't have any modifications other than emissions removal and a cooler thermostat. I can check the coolant temp sensor but I doubt that's the problem. My main problem is slow acceleration which doesn't seem to be O2 sensor related; however, I'm slightly shocked that unplugging the o2 sensor has no effect on anything.
Emissions removal as in EGR and EVAP? ouch

I am a firm believer in NOT having a cooler thermostat.

Emissions removal will affect drivability
Old 07-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
You're fine without the O2 sensor disconnected. Check the vacuum lines as stated.
duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #10
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman1278 View Post
You're fine without the O2 sensor disconnected. Check the vacuum lines as stated.

Can I just stop you there;

Please tell my why Nissan placed an o2 sensor anywhere in, or outside of the vehicle? If it is just meant to be removed like fresh wrapping paper on that new lego set, then I will remove .03lbs of weight off the manifold.

The OP didnt ask if he should leave the o2 off.....IMO its one of the more important sensors on the car.

this is if you meant to OP can leave his O2 sensor off....
Old 07-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
mifesto
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
mifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
well cant say that statement for any o2 sensor haha... secondary o2 is garbage
mifesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifesto View Post
well cant say that statement for any o2 sensor haha... secondary o2 is garbage
2nd is for OBDI, OBDII is for catalyst datalogging.

Primary O2, OBDI/II you need it
Old 07-30-2008, 07:26 PM   #13
jharper

I bought the car without the emissions equipment installed and I've never had a problem, ever. Same goes for the thermostat.

I also agree that the o2 is one of the more important sensors in the vehicle which is why I'm confused as to why it doesn't make a difference whether it's plug in or not on my particular vehicle. If it's not registering with the computer I'd like to know why as it could effect my fuel efficiency as well as acceleration. The motor is not running at the same efficiency as it was new and it's important for the computer to have the feedback necessary to make the appropriate adjustments.

Is there a way to find if the o2 sensor is sending any kind of signal to the computer? I can buy a new one but it won't matter if the ecu isn't receiving anything. Also, shouldn't the check engine light come on when I unplug the sensor?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

grab the FSM and see if its a 2 trip CEL
Old 07-30-2008, 11:58 PM   #15
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Yea I meant that he can leave his O2 sensor off, its pretty much for emissions. Yes it does help the car from running so rich, as a pose to not running an O2 sensor. I've ran my SR without an O2 sensor and when I plugged one in, I could barely tell the difference, if any. I'm just trying to isolate as many things that might not be the cause of his issue.

To the OP, keep us updated if you find the solution for future reference
duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:04 AM   #16
pink godzila
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (226)
pink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 226 reviews
Might be bad Injector!! or you need to clean your Intake Manifold !!Try that!!
pink godzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 AM   #17
SoguRacing
Post Whore!

then check your maf and timing. your timing could be off
Old 07-31-2008, 06:49 AM   #18
mifesto
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
mifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsyke View Post
2nd is for OBDI, OBDII is for catalyst datalogging.

Primary O2, OBDI/II you need it
yes exactly... garbage ... who needs emissions! haha
mifesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:11 AM   #19
jharper

I found a small tear in my intake after the maf and taped it up. That solved the stumbling/hesitation problem but the car still feels sluggish compared to another 240sx I drove a couple weeks ago.

My car seems to have the same acceleration at 3k rpms as it does at 5k. It also seems to accelerate the same whether it's at 50% throttle or 100%. I'll go through the fuel system to make sure I have plenty of fuel pressure, clean injectors and fuel filter. I questioned the o2 sensor initially because the slight backfiring between shifts indicates to me it could be running slightly rich.

I am surprised to find such a discrepancy between people regarding the o2 sensor... some posts note their cars running crazy rich blowing smoke everywhere and others not noticing a difference at all. Even if it means getting one or two more mpg on the highway, I'd prefer to know whether it's working correctly or not.

Last edited by jharper; 07-31-2008 at 01:31 PM..
Old 08-05-2008, 11:00 PM   #20
phatkatsquad

phatkatsquad is making his/her stupidity well-knownphatkatsquad is making his/her stupidity well-knownphatkatsquad is making his/her stupidity well-knownphatkatsquad is making his/her stupidity well-knownphatkatsquad is making his/her stupidity well-known
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharper View Post
I bought the car without the emissions equipment installed and I've never had a problem, ever. Same goes for the thermostat.

I also agree that the o2 is one of the more important sensors in the vehicle which is why I'm confused as to why it doesn't make a difference whether it's plug in or not on my particular vehicle. If it's not registering with the computer I'd like to know why as it could effect my fuel efficiency as well as acceleration. The motor is not running at the same efficiency as it was new and it's important for the computer to have the feedback necessary to make the appropriate adjustments.

Is there a way to find if the o2 sensor is sending any kind of signal to the computer? I can buy a new one but it won't matter if the ecu isn't receiving anything. Also, shouldn't the check engine light come on when I unplug the sensor?
k cooler thermostat bad cause that ecu is programmed to go to close loop at a certain temperature and by you replacing it with a different one it will just stay in open loop. and we all know in open loop that ecu is controlling everything and its ignoring almost every input sensor. so yeah right now it probably just running in open loop just trying to get to operating temperature so its dumping shit load of fuel to get it hot which explains the lack of power. so yeah if the computer never goes to close loop it pretty much ignoring everything like the 02 maf map.
now to check the 02 disconnect the harness and use a volt meter to place the lead on the signal and another on a good ground.
now check voltage if its around .02 its running lean and it if it goes to .08 its running rich. if it dosent read jack it dosent have good ground from the manifold duh or the 02 is just no good or contaminted.
now to check if the computer is reciveng the signal back probe on the ecu put a lead on the signal wire at the ecu just careful not to pierece the insulation. now wat ever you read thats wat the computer is reading. just make sure to discharge your self before handling the ecu.
now for all of yall who think im a dumbass for writing this go ahead talk all your shit cause im just here to help out.
phatkatsquad is offline   Reply With Quote