Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
kenji_s14

Trader Rating: (0)
kenji_s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Can I pump lower grade gasolines?

kinda stupid question but i can't seem to find no freak'n 93 octane gasoline anywhere close by with all this gas shortage...I don't want to pump 87 or 89...but thats like the only available gas at the moment and im like very low on gas...Will it hurt if i pump 89 or 87 in my sr20det swap? i know im not gonna get the full benefit of power, but i just need gas untill 93 is available again..any sugestions would be helpfull....
kenji_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
1990_Rb20_240

1990_Rb20_240 is making his/her stupidity well-known1990_Rb20_240 is making his/her stupidity well-known1990_Rb20_240 is making his/her stupidity well-known
i would say its prolly not the best idea i did the same thing with my RB swap and it started to backfire and do all sorts of weird shit! I wouldnt do it again! But thats your call man thats just my 2 cents!
1990_Rb20_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
SidewayZ-s14
BANNED

Trader Rating: (14)
SidewayZ-s14 will become famous soon enoughSidewayZ-s14 will become famous soon enoughSidewayZ-s14 will become famous soon enoughSidewayZ-s14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
91 octane.
Should be @ most gas stations.
SidewayZ-s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
do a little research on pre-detonation and octane and make the decision for yourself.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Get the highest grade you can get and dump in some ocatane Booster and try not to boost too high
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
98koukile
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
octane booster for the short run, I wouldn't use it more than i had to
Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Well, if there's no 93 around, then you have no choice. The guys out in Cali likely aren't aware of the gas shortages on the East coast.

FWIW, the only grades around there are 87/89/93.

If you did this, I'd try to find some 89 and turn the boost down as low as possible and generally stay out of boost at all times. It'll be fine to just cruise around on, but fill up with 93 at the first chance.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

timtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to timtiminy
toluene... you can buy it at paint supply stores in gal quantities and its a proven octane booster. {(gallons of gas x original octane rating) + (gallons of toluene x 114)} / total gallons of gas/toluene mix = new octane rating
hope this helps so for 13 gallons of 89 mixed with 1 gallon of toluene it makes a about a 91 octane rating.
timtiminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
UfoZ8myCow
Zilvia FREAK!

UfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond repute
Shiiiit... I wish we had 93 out here in Cali. The only station I know of that has 93 is like 20 miles away. Everyone else has 91
Old 09-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

timtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the rough
10 gallons of 91 and 1 gallon of toluene comes to 93 octane for everyone that only has 91 available...
Old 09-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
SR20d2fourT
Zilvia Junkie

SR20d2fourT has a spectacular aura aboutSR20d2fourT has a spectacular aura aboutSR20d2fourT has a spectacular aura aboutSR20d2fourT has a spectacular aura aboutSR20d2fourT has a spectacular aura aboutSR20d2fourT has a spectacular aura about
Texas = 93 all daayy loonngg

I never put anything lower in my previous SR. Money, but oh well.
My ZX6R takes nothing but 93.

When it gets shitty gas it misfires and shitttt, it sucks.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
AznDrftr.
BANNED

AznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AznDrftr. Send a message via MSN to AznDrftr. Send a message via Yahoo to AznDrftr.
yea i did that whole cheap as gas in my sr, bad move.

93 all day, shit better stop savin pennies. lol
AznDrftr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
I thought running toulene isnt the greatest idea. Atleast not in the long run. It fucks up your gas lines, seals and 02 sensor doesnt it?

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #14
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

you may want to try those cardlock/fleet fueling places i heard that anyone can get an account with them and in california some of them even have race gas and octanes over 91...
Old 09-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #15
kenji_s14

kenji_s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
well thanx for all the replies..it helped alot...i really have no choice..but to pump 89..and just not boost...hope its not gonna messed up...
kenji_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #16
MudRacer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
MudRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
good luck!
Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #17
boozels
Zilvia Addict

boozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtiminy View Post
toluene... you can buy it at paint supply stores in gal quantities and its a proven octane booster. {(gallons of gas x original octane rating) + (gallons of toluene x 114)} / total gallons of gas/toluene mix = new octane rating
hope this helps so for 13 gallons of 89 mixed with 1 gallon of toluene it makes a about a 91 octane rating.
he speaks the truth
toluene works

that is what i would use if i was in the op's position

t-apc.com t-apc.com t-apc.com t-apc.com
boozels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #18
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenji_s14 View Post
well thanx for all the replies..it helped alot...i really have no choice..but to pump 89..and just not boost...hope its not gonna messed up...
Your motor has an ecu and a knock sensor. stay off the gas hard and you'll be fine.

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote