Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #31
nrmskate
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
nrmskate has a spectacular aura aboutnrmskate has a spectacular aura aboutnrmskate has a spectacular aura aboutnrmskate has a spectacular aura aboutnrmskate has a spectacular aura aboutnrmskate has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Your best routes would be to either :

A. Have someone check out how bad you damaged the engine, if at all. (Then, replace the headgasket)

B. If thats not possible, and its worse than we think, KA24E motors arnt to hard to come buy, and are fairly cheap, I picked one up with 86K miles on it for 500$. (shipped)

C. Go balls out and spend the extra cash either goign CA18DET, KA24E-T, SR, and so on.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #32
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
you will need the ECU for a 93 DOHC and power steering lines for the swap. Your gauge cluster can still be used but its easy to just swap in a DOHC one. Other than that it is pretty much a straight forward simple swap remember to keep us posted =]
Old 09-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #33
Vision Garage
Nissanaholic!

Vision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Vision Garage
TURBO or bust! And there is nothign wrong with old ladies and fixed up cars!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #34
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrmskate View Post
Your best routes would be to either :
C. Go balls out and spend the extra cash either going CA18DET, KA24E-T, SR, and so on.
CA18DET is your best bet KA24E-T will most likely not be reliable enough for you. SR and so on gets pricey choose wisely
Old 09-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #35
nrmskate
Zilvia Addict

nrmskate has a spectacular aura aboutnrmskate has a spectacular aura aboutnrmskate has a spectacular aura aboutnrmskate has a spectacular aura aboutnrmskate has a spectacular aura aboutnrmskate has a spectacular aura about
Hey, some old ladies (No offense, im just goign by what you stated ) can make a lot of money.

lol :-P
Old 09-26-2008, 09:07 PM   #36
Vision Garage
Nissanaholic!

Vision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfection
SAY NO TO CAs!!!!! NO SUPPORT! SR that breezy!!! SRs are the new B16 so parts are plenty!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #37
dumbblondeina240sx

Trader Rating: (0)
dumbblondeina240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S13SilviaGirl View Post
How long have you had the car? If you just bought it, did you have anyone look the car over for you?

Where abouts in SD are you?

I bought the car for $425 at an auction, so no chance to have it looked at. And I'm in southeast SD.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #38
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision Garage View Post
SAY NO TO CAs!!!!! NO SUPPORT! SR that breezy!!! SRs are the new B16 so parts are plenty!
I agree with you, yes SR has parts everywhere but on her budget CA looks like its in her best interest if she plans on turbo. You have to remember she is a zilvia member so if she needs any parts for a CA all she must do is ask I know we have plenty of members who will help her out =] Including Vision Garage because you have already helped me
Old 09-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #39
xplicit240
Zilvia Addict

xplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to xplicit240
oh boy who ever put the hose on prolly didnt bleed the system as well. that could have cause air pockets = over heat.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #40
Z_Spool
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Z_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The thing about swapping in a new motor is in CA to register your vehicle, you're supposed to have a motor that was available from the factory in that vehicle, in that year, in california. I just swapped from SOHC AT to DOHC 5spd. Pretty straight forward, but if you get a really finicky smog guy he might fail you for a non-compliant motor. (not likely though) You need the DOHC ps lines, DOHC tach, DOHC Ignition coil, DOHC ECU, and so on... I luckily had a driving donor to pull from. If you were to go with an SR20 or a CA18 you'll have a much harder time to get it to pass smog. (sometimes you'll get lucky and the smog tech wont notice) Luckily though you most likely wouldn't get pulled over for the motor being an older woman driving. (Cops tend to look for the young punks like me ) Search the forums here, and also read through NICO for answers to all of your tech questions. You should be able to get any and all of your questions answered without as much as asking another question.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #41
S13SilviaGirl
UGH Really?

Trader Rating: (4)
S13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpirate View Post
yes..the 93 has a dual cam..basically a straight forward swap
Not as easy as you think...takes some work.

Quote:
SR in SD, are you wanting her car to be impounded? She is a single mom....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbblondeina240sx View Post
I bought the car for $425 at an auction, so no chance to have it looked at. And I'm in southeast SD.
Ahhh....well, there are a few good guys in SD that may be able to help you out. Just go to the regional section on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplicit240 View Post
oh boy who ever put the hose on prolly didnt bleed the system as well. that could have cause air pockets = over heat.
I would have that shop take a look at it again. If they did that work, you may be able to get them to do some work on it again under warranty...if they didnt put in or properly bleed your system.

Oh and welcome to zilvia. Also, is this your only car? Is this something that needs to be back on the road asap for you?

My Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTCSuperstar
I surf Zilvia naked in my home...
Old 09-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #42
SlideWell
Zilvia FREAK!

SlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfection
you may love a car, but its not always the best choice to keep it. often times, finding another chassis with less mechanical headaches may better choice for someone like yourself that isnt sure about their chassis code at the least. and a dohc swap is not fun and Lisa stated pretty much lol.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #43
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideWell View Post
you may love a car, but its not always the best choice to keep it. often times, finding another chassis with less mechanical headaches may better choice for someone like yourself that isnt sure about their chassis code at the least. and a dohc swap is not fun and Lisa stated pretty much lol.
$425 for a shell is a deal. She'll spend less in a worst case scenario of having to swap another motor in there then buying one with a healthy motor in socal.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:55 PM   #44
dumbblondeina240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
yes it is possible to install a 93 motor in an 89. it will require some wiring modification, but the 93 motor is a dual cam engine which is a good upgrade from the single cam 1989 engine. (i hope i dont sound like i'm talking down to you).
Please, talk down to me. I don't know anything about the technical stuff.

I'm asking about the swap because there's a 93 going up for sale at my work, the engine runs OK but it has body damage so it'll probably sell for < $300. I was wondering if it might end up costing less to just swap the whole thing out than to go have the head gasket fixed.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #45
SlideWell
Zilvia FREAK!

SlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
$425 for a shell is a deal. She'll spend less in a worst case scenario of having to swap another motor in there then buying one with a healthy motor in socal.
yeah, she'll spend less. goes back to what Lisa asked. what are the long term goals and is this your daily etc etc. btw, i picked up this s14 for 2500 minus the wheels and a vandalized interior. good motor blah blah blah. unless its a dealer only auction, youre getting fooled, i know, my dad has been in the game for 30 years going to Adesa, Manheim auctions.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 PM   #46
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Please, talk down to me. I don't know anything about the technical stuff.

I'm asking about the swap because there's a 93 going up for sale at my work, the engine runs OK but it has body damage so it'll probably sell for < $300. I was wondering if it might end up costing less to just swap the whole thing out than to go have the head gasket fixed.
How many miles on the 93? Auto or manual?

$300 is good for a complete DOHC swap. There are some good swap guides on here as you need a few more parts then the engine. Like the PS system.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #47
Vision Garage
Nissanaholic!

Fine since LISA is being so NON SR friendly! KA swap that BREEZY! You'll have to get all the smog stuff back on there tho if you want it to be CA friendly. Yea cops in SD can be bitches but shit shes a girl with a stock car. They wont pull you over even if you had an RB.

Girl driving a stock looking car with a powerhouse as a heart! NICE!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #48
dumbblondeina240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13SilviaGirl View Post
Not as easy as you think...takes some work.

SR in SD, are you wanting her car to be impounded? She is a single mom....

Ahhh....well, there are a few good guys in SD that may be able to help you out. Just go to the regional section on here.

I would have that shop take a look at it again. If they did that work, you may be able to get them to do some work on it again under warranty...if they didnt put in or properly bleed your system.

Oh and welcome to zilvia. Also, is this your only car? Is this something that needs to be back on the road asap for you?
Thanks, I didn't take it into a shop though - a tow truck driver helped me. I do know he put antifreeze in the radiator because I was watching him do it.

This car was my daily driver, unfortunately. I have an old VW too and it runs well, but it's a lost cause because of too much body rust.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #49
dumbblondeina240sx

Quote:
Fine since LISA is being so NON SR friendly! KA swap that BREEZY! You'll have to get all the smog stuff back on there tho if you want it to be CA friendly. Yea cops in SD can be bitches but shit shes a girl with a stock car. They wont pull you over even if you had an RB.

Girl driving a stock looking car with a powerhouse as a heart! NICE!
If I had the extra $$ to do modifications, my car would definitely not still be stock.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #50
JVD
Nissanaholic!

JVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfection
The coolant system should have been bled after he put the hose back on. I'm assuming he didn't do that, and that's what caused it to overheat.

Like others said, the overheating probably caused a blown head gasket.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #51
Fonix36
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (34)
Fonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fonix36 Send a message via Yahoo to Fonix36
Back to the earlier subject i think we would like some pitures of you and your car in a non sexual way. respectfully i say that. as for the swap keep it stock if you dont have much cash. And im Miguel if you have any questions feel free to pm me at anytime

DRiFT 4 A Cure!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:36 PM   #52
SlideWell
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonix36 View Post
Back to the earlier subject i think we would like some pitures of you and your car in a non sexual way. respectfully i say that. as for the swap keep it stock if you dont have much cash. And im Miguel if you have any questions feel free to pm me at anytime
LOL WTF?!?! are you serious? whats a pic of her got to do with it? you are as the girls say, a "creepo." put the mouse back in the house kid.
a pic of the car would be good to see tho.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:51 PM   #53
ESmorz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
ESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ESmorz
Lmao at the dumb asses asking for pics.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #54
dumbblondeina240sx

I'll take some pics tomorrow. It's nothing unusual though, a straight stock 1989 hatchback with a 1968 driver. LOL
Old 09-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #55
Cloud9
Zilvia Junkie

Cloud9 is making a name for him/her selfCloud9 is making a name for him/her self
SD is filled with 240 peeps, there has to be someone willing to go look at the car and see what it needs for sure, and maybe swap the ka24de in for cheap.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #56
dumbblondeina240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideWell View Post
Dumb question, I know....but is this a 240SX or a Skyline?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #57
Cloud9
Zilvia Junkie

Cloud9 is making a name for him/her selfCloud9 is making a name for him/her self
it would be a 240sx, just the 95-96 body style aka S14
Old 09-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #58
ryangreg
Zilvia Member

ryangreg can only hope to improve
seriously someone help this woman out, if she is indeed a woman
Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #59
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Quote:
Dumb question, I know....but is this a 240SX or a Skyline?
Its ether a 95 or 96 Nissan 240sx
Old 09-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #60
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangreg View Post
seriously someone help this woman out, if she is indeed a woman

what do you think we have been doing bud? and Yes she is a woman who wouldn't she be? and what difference does it make woman or man on zilvia we are here to help each other out,