Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
doug86

Trader Rating: (0)
doug86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
apexi FC and timing

Hey i have just installed an apexi fc on my sr20det powered s12. I need to set my timing and i realize the PFC has many different automatic timing adjustments (for cold engine, idle up, etc) so im wondering how to set the timing using the PFC. Would i just unplug the TPS once the car is warm and rev it to 3k rpm like with a stock ecu or is there an easier way? I tried that method but it seemed like the ecu kept trying to compensate for things, as if automatic timing control was still active. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
doug86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
aNskY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
aNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aNskY
what you are "supposed" to do is let it warm up to operating temp, then set to 15btdc (pretty sure you do NOT have to unplug tps). I have found however that my pfc doesnt drop into base timing even when warm (and my maps set to like 25-30 at idle), so i set the entire idle area of the map to 15 degrees then timed, so i knew for sure it was on 15 degrees. basically, make sure you are reading 15 advance before you set it. you can see this on the commander in monitor mode if you dont have a dataloggit
aNskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
doug86

Trader Rating: (0)
doug86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
well i am using the datalogit, so if i understand you correctly, just set the entire idle rpm range to 15* and then once the car is warm, turn the CAS until its a steady 15? I will try it tomorrow and post back how it worked out.
doug86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
aNskY
Nissanaholic!

aNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfectionaNskY is close to perfection
that is what i did, technically you shouldnt have to because it's supposed to drop to 15* by itself, but mine never did. either way you do it, just make sure the pfc is reading 15* then set to the 2nd mark from the right.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
undesiredshoe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
undesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to undesiredshoe
There is a "regular" map that your car uses when you are on the gas and then theres a timing map that your car uses when you are in neutral and idling.

aNskY, the reason why you car never idled at 15* is because its not suppose to idle at 15*. I have my idle set to 28* on my car and it idles fine.

So yes, you are suppose to unplug the tps plug so your ecu thinks you are depressing the gas pedal and at 800rpms.

It goes like this, you idle at 25* and right when you step on the gas, the timing drops to 15* and then starts climbing.

Thats my informational post of the day.
undesiredshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
aNskY
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by undesiredshoe View Post
There is a "regular" map that your car uses when you are on the gas and then theres a timing map that your car uses when you are in neutral and idling.

aNskY, the reason why you car never idled at 15* is because its not suppose to idle at 15*. I have my idle set to 28* on my car and it idles fine.

So yes, you are suppose to unplug the tps plug so your ecu thinks you are depressing the gas pedal and at 800rpms.

It goes like this, you idle at 25* and right when you step on the gas, the timing drops to 15* and then starts climbing.

Thats my informational post of the day.
I think i remember steve posting that the car was supposed to idle at 15* when warm no matter what the map is set to, and also that you are NOT supposed to unplug the TPS for the PFC, that is for oem ecu, but i could be wrong. either way just make sure the pfc is reading 15* and set it, cant be wrong.