Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-17-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
bshotts is making a name for him/her selfbshotts is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bshotts
s14 tire sizing opinions

After talking with some fellow Zilvians about proper wheel/tire setups and taking into consideration that I support doing things right the first time, I’m taking suggestions.

I acquired some Equips last year in amazing condition from anyotherone and have been measuring/calculating what the best wheel/spacer/tire/fender mod would be to fit these on the S14.

Wheel specs:
Work Equips (low disk)
F: 18x10 et +22 with 15 mm spacer required to clear Z32 calipers
R: 18x11.5 et+29 with 10 or 15 mm spacer to clear lower A arm

I like the slightly higher offset wheels because it allows for maximum wheel width keeping scrub radius closer to stock and more fender clearage for more tire tuckage. Car is mostly cruising, but looking to get involved with someautocrossing/drift.

I’ve heard good things about the Falken 452 as far as cost/performance/fit/longevity so I’m partial to this type:

Here’s the two setups minding budget and available sizes:
Slight stretch
F: 235/40 - 8.5 inch tread width, 25.3 overall diameter, reinforced
R: 275/35 – 10.0 inch tread width, 25.6 overall diameter

More rubber
F: 255/35 – 9.1 inch tread width, 25.0 diameter, reinf.
R: 295/30 – 10.9 inch tread width, 25.0 dia.

Would prefer to do minimal fender work, but obviously a roll is a necessity. Let’s hear it! Thanks
bshotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
You are going to want to run some stretch for the drift events and the meaty set-up for autocross/trackdays. Decide what you want ot use this set of wheels for and size the tires accordingly. Any kind of motorsport requires multiple sets of wheels. I think you are staggering the tires too much though, I wouldn't go more than 2 tire sizes on an s-chasis ever (IE 255fr/275r).
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshotts View Post
Car is mostly cruising, but looking to get involved with someautocrossing/drift.
If you otterox, watch out for which class they put the car in. If you're modded slightly, they may put you in a more competitive class = less fun. Generally you should try to stay as close to Showroom stock as possible. Competition is less and folks focus more on having fun. May or may not be possible depending on what other mods you have.

If you're completely stock, I recommend buying a set of stock wheels for otterox. Save your nice wheels for later.

Drift guys can chime in.

Quote:
F: 235/40 - 8.5 inch tread width, 25.3 overall diameter, reinforced
R: 275/35 – 10.0 inch tread width, 25.6 overall diameter

More rubber
F: 255/35 – 9.1 inch tread width, 25.0 diameter, reinf.
R: 295/30 – 10.9 inch tread width, 25.0 dia.
Tread width depends on the wheel size. So what's quoted/calculated has to be adjusted to the wheel size: Tire Tech - Tire Specs Explained

Good luck.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
What type of engine setup do you have........may help to put it all in perspective

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
meaty set-up for autocross
This may not be feasible based on the rest of the car and what class he wants to run in.

Hell, if I showed up they'll probably place me in SM = get eaten alive by full prepped open wheel cars.

In that case, I don't have to worry about wheel size.

If you're trying to stay close to Stock or one of the less prepared Touring classes, they limit your wheel size.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

bshotts is making a name for him/her selfbshotts is making a name for him/her self
Ok I see additional info is needed. As far as powertrain sits, and without actual dyno numbers, based off a handful of ¼ mile runs trapping at 108 mph I estimate around 280 whp using the T28 at 16 psi and supporting mods like FMIC, Nismo 555s, full exhaust, and an Enthalpy tune.

What I really am looking forward to is one of few local events (at least in the good ol state of IN) in the spring….Winged Warriors. It’s a mix of autocross and drag as part of 3 “events” during the day, and based off how I like that, would try to participate in other local stuff ------------- [url=http://www.wingedwarrior.net/[/url]

Based off the rules/guidelines for class placement and current mods, I would be moved up two classes with comparable autos such as stock Evos, etc.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
I would be moved up two classes with comparable autos such as stock Evos, etc.
Check your rulebook and make sure you don't go too crazy on your setup.

Evos are ninjas at ottercox, but S13s can be competitive if tuned properly.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

Ok...small update. I spent some time talking to a local Discount Tire store manager about the best size tires for the rear 11.5 widths. I went in expecting to order 255/35/18 for the front 10.0 widths and 275/35/18 for the rears, but was told I may be refused a tire install on the rears if I try to use a 275 and that the 295/30/18 would be the best option. I did the math and looked at the Falken 452 tire specs. I like that the 295s would be the same diameter of 25.0 inches (close to stock diameter of 24.9" with 205/55/16s) but don't like that they have an almost extra inch of tread width to them effectively giving me 1/2 inch less space to work with at getting them under the stock fender in the rear even after a roll.

Would anyone see a problem running the 275/35s on the 11.5 inch wheels? In my opinion it would still be a decent-sized tire despite the small diametral increase. Or would 295s be the obvious choice? I wanted to try to keep the front and rears relatively close.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
5t341tH
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 5t341tH
why would they refuse to put 275s on your rim?

lexus baby
5t341tH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #10
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

Get this...I was told that because of the size I was trying to install would be considered a stretch and would probably be drifting that they wouldn't give me a tire warranty and didn't want to be held liable for any catastrophic failures, etc.

I will know more after work today, but I still plan on trying for the 275.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
gotta240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Your stagger is too different.

LESS STAGGER.

I'm running 255 front/ 275 rear. Feels good.

If you insist on a 295 rear, go with a 265 or 275 front.
gotta240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

Good to hear....what is your engine setup/power level? I was looking to run the 275s over the 295s anyway. Specs on your tire setup?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #13
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Falken 452's are horrible tires... I ran them for my fronts, and they are seriously lacking in the grip department. If you're remotely thinking of hitting the track, move towards the 615s or a similar performance tire.

If you're broke, try the new Feddys, or even the good 'ol 595s.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

I hear you...what about mostly nice cruise days/some track action in the way of autoX or local events? 452s still not the way to go?