Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-06-2006, 03:45 PM   #121
the head
Nissanaholic!

Location: in a dark room mastering the art of typing with one hand
Trader Rating: (3)
the head is making a name for him/her selfthe head is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScientist
I dont think making a Kit would be the best way to sell a V-mount... The ARC is going to cost, at least, well into the $3000 range. I have seen several other FD3S V-Mounts going for $2500+. I personally would stay away from a $1000 V-mount. Everyone wants the quality and proven performance of an ARC type set-up but NO-ONE is going to buy the ARC.

The best option is exactly as I was posting to begin with... Find the parts and do the R&D... if you dont know what your doing (or trust your skill) then get help, or don't do it. There are to many variables: KA, SR, CA, Bottom mount, Top Mount, V-mount, 7-Mount, etc...

The best part posted so far is the Griffin Radiator w/ Chevy pipes... yes it still needs modified, but thats what makes Your set-up... yours!

Peace
Drew
the only issue with the chevy rad is you need to "alter" the passenger side end tank by about a 1/4-1/2 inch to get it to fit between the S13 rails use a rubber mallet to you don't puncture the end tank...besides that all you need are some custom hoses I recommend silicone bends and some SS piping for the straight areas...this will minimize the areas that can be damaged by sharp objects. Or you can simplify and use cool flex hot rod radiator pipes then you can do almost anything with the hoses you want to and they come with SR sized reducers which you will need because the outlets on the radiators are a 1/4 or so in. larger than the inlets and outlets on the engine.

I am using the cool flex piping on my SR right now along with the chevy griffin rad I can post pics but in may be a week or two before it happens.

if you guys have any other questions about this setup just post or PM me
and for the time if nothing else dont forget to throw some rep my way
Old 09-07-2006, 05:37 PM   #122
Markovich
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Markovich is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
while we are talking about vmounts i posted in a diff forum and it was about my cooling in the vmount and i was wondering if this info was correct i have 1 12" pull fan with no thermo i no im putting athermo as soon as i get my new radiator and licenses back
thnx

"Wow, if it's a daily driver I highly highly HIGHLY recommend running push and pull fans. I hadn't realized your setup was incomplete. My friends who are near overheating daily driving their v-mount s13 and s14 are running push-pull fans and still coming too close for comfort to severe damage from overheating. Not trying to tell you what to do, but if this is a dd, you will overheat and possibly warp the head from running solely a pull fan. If anything I recommend running a push fan because it has better cooling efficiency where it counts for a dd than a pull.

Also, do not run a stock fan on a v-mount setup!!!! They are for low horsepower cars and the thermostat is non-adjustable. That is just asking for trouble. If you are going to go the route of constructing a v-mount setup, make sure you spend your money in the right places and don't cheap out. This is not a setup that you want to run low quality on.

I recommend running a 12 or 14" Perma-cool single fan as a push fan and a FAL dual electric as a pull fan. Main reason I recommend this setup is because the Perma-cool fan has a dual adjustable thermostat which can also be adapted to the FAL (flex-a-lite) fan. Your fan setup should cost around $3-400 which is approximately what this will cost you.

What are you doing as far as ducting goes? Any pics?"
Old 09-08-2006, 03:32 AM   #123
IAM_SO_sLOw
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
IAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IAM_SO_sLOw
hey you guys..wht do you think about these radiators?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
i dont know which one to get... the price difference is like 70$ the only thing i notice that is different is tube size "1" "1,1/4" what is the tube size?

also w/ these radiators do i still have to run a breather tank or will the circulation be good?
IAM_SO_sLOw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:05 AM   #124
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
breather tank always necessary to get all the air out.

Tube size will most likely be size of the the outlets. SR upper is 36mm for example.

Carlos
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:30 AM   #125
240silvia
Nissanaholic!

240silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 240silvia
The V-Mount setup is a great way to go, extremely drifting friendly. The response with the V-Mount compared to a front mount is very nice. I guess I just like the "Bling" effect of the Front Mount. lol

-Charles
240silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #126
the head
Nissanaholic!

the head is making a name for him/her selfthe head is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM_SO_sLOw
hey you guys..wht do you think about these radiators?
i dont know which one to get... the price difference is like 70$ the only thing i notice that is different is tube size "1" "1,1/4" what is the tube size?

also w/ these radiators do i still have to run a breather tank or will the circulation be good?
That is identical to the one I have in my car right now tube sizes are for outlet/inlet fittings look around on other sites you should be able to get that for 195-210 instead of 250 plus 20 handeling plus shipping

I am not currently using a breather tank and I dont seem to have any bubbles or pockets
Old 09-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #127
IAM_SO_sLOw
Zilvia FREAK!

IAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choices
^^
how do you like the radiator? also do you have a vmount set up?

o hmm...but they already state the inlet and outlet size
"Inlet Size: 1 1/2 in.
Outlet Size: 1 3/4 in.
Tube Size: 1 1/4 in. "

i was wondering what steps should i go about building another vmount set up the right way? like get the radiator to fit first? then duct near the radiator then get the intercooler in w/ piping and duct more?... my other set up i just pretty much eyeballed everything and did it all at once...

also do you guys know where i can get material for custom endtanks or even what material to get? does anyone know a place where i can get like thicker sheetmetal or something for a good price...homedepo sells really thin pieces.. i want something that doesnt flex as much

-thanks
Old 09-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #128
the head
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
^^
how do you like the radiator? also do you have a vmount set up?

o hmm...but they already state the inlet and outlet size
"Inlet Size: 1 1/2 in.
Outlet Size: 1 3/4 in.
Tube Size: 1 1/4 in. "

i was wondering what steps should i go about building another vmount set up the right way? like get the radiator to fit first? then duct near the radiator then get the intercooler in w/ piping and duct more?... my other set up i just pretty much eyeballed everything and did it all at once...

also do you guys know where i can get material for custom endtanks or even what material to get? does anyone know a place where i can get like thicker sheetmetal or something for a good price...homedepo sells really thin pieces.. i want something that doesnt flex as much

-thanks
if the outlet and inlet are already stated it is a choice between the width of the tubes in the core...instead of having four core rads griffin makes larger tubes in thier cores

i have used http://www.metalsdepot.com/ for getting my aluminum and steel for fabbing brackets and ducting

The radiator is great way better than stock and way cheaper than koyo

currently running a ducted but not Vmounted setup in my 240
Old 09-08-2006, 11:52 PM   #129
IAM_SO_sLOw
Zilvia FREAK!

^^
so would the 1, 1/4 be better than 1 inch?
Old 10-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #130
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Ignore...It's cross flow, I need downflow cores.

The outlets are reversed for a good reason. The radiator outlets should be pointing up so if you flip this around, you have what you need. So now there is less of a need to cut and re-weld the ends. Now I need to find out if the outlet sizes match.

Carlos
Old 10-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #131
sil_8t
Leaky Injector

sil_8t is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sil_8t
This is a nice DIY mod for people who desire quick spool like me. I would like to try that radiator + spearco core w/ custom endtanks. it just sounds so time consuming.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #132
Dr. Moreau
Zilvia Member

Dr. Moreau has a spectacular aura aboutDr. Moreau has a spectacular aura aboutDr. Moreau has a spectacular aura aboutDr. Moreau has a spectacular aura aboutDr. Moreau has a spectacular aura aboutDr. Moreau has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Moreau Send a message via MSN to Dr. Moreau Send a message via Yahoo to Dr. Moreau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidin240Wayz
I think I found the correct radiator for the setup...

The outlets are reversed for a good reason. The radiator outlets should be pointing up so if you flip this around, you have what you need. So now there is less of a need to cut and re-weld the ends. Now I need to find out if the outlet sizes match.

Carlos
even if they don't, they could easily be reduced w/ a little welding

'91 240SX Hatch
Redtop SR since March 2006
Dr. Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #133
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

I am trying to come up with a package for the S-chassis. It should be completed by the end of winter.

I will be using this IC, because the other one requires cutting into the radiator support.

Carlos
Old 10-21-2006, 03:44 PM   #134
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Moreau
even if they don't, they could easily be reduced w/ a little welding
Not really down for more customization than need be. I am trying to keep cost down as low as possible.

Carlos
Old 10-21-2006, 04:00 PM   #135
sil_8t
Leaky Injector

thats what i was getting at. Try to make it as DIY as possible with the least amount on fabbing. Must remember time is money.

Carlos, that would be a nice intercooler but im shooting for about 270hp max w/ t28. that IC would be a bit larger than nessesary. plus the end tanks should be going straight up (relatively speaking) right?
Old 10-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #136
Dr. Moreau
Zilvia Member

Dr. Moreau has a spectacular aura aboutDr. Moreau has a spectacular aura aboutDr. Moreau has a spectacular aura aboutDr. Moreau has a spectacular aura aboutDr. Moreau has a spectacular aura aboutDr. Moreau has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Moreau Send a message via MSN to Dr. Moreau Send a message via Yahoo to Dr. Moreau
just keep us updated carlos. btw i imagine you could also get a silicone reducer + t-bolt clamps if the inlets don't match.

also what about ducting for those w/ aftermarket bumpers w/ larger openings?

'91 240SX Hatch
Redtop SR since March 2006
Dr. Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #137
sil_8t
Leaky Injector

Ducting shouldnt be that hard with sheet metal on the sides. I dig that hood with ducting coming out. i personally think a vented hood is must. But def. keep this updated!

ill test the beta version if i must.....sigh.......lol
Old 10-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #138
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil_8t
thats what i was getting at. Try to make it as DIY as possible with the least amount on fabbing. Must remember time is money.

Carlos, that would be a nice intercooler but im shooting for about 270hp max w/ t28. that IC would be a bit larger than nessesary. plus the end tanks should be going straight up (relatively speaking) right?
Quote:
just keep us updated carlos. btw i imagine you could also get a silicone reducer + t-bolt clamps if the inlets don't match.

also what about ducting for those w/ aftermarket bumpers w/ larger openings?
True. That IC about the same size if not smaller than the Greddy FMIC which ALOT of people run on their stock setups. I can go Spearco IC's but then that would cost about $3-500 more in the end.

I have looked for a reducer, but it's is difficult to find one in that small of a diameter. The smallest I have found was a 2 inch from somthing a little larger. I will keep looking for the optimal radiator. The stock size radiator is 17.25 inches tall. Since this one has to be on an angle I need something in the 15 inch range but I can't go much smaller in order to keep performance high for a daily setup.

As for the ducting, I will most likely utilize the frame rails and possible spacers to close the gap if need be.

Carlos
Old 10-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #139
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

My OCD self can't ignore this topic. I went to make some measurements of the Koyo I have now.

Overall height- app. 21 inches

core- h x w - 14 x 25

upper outlet diameter- app 36 mm - less than 1.5 inches, more than 1.25 inches.

If you can find a radiator that has an overall height of 17-19 inches please post it up.

Carlos
Old 10-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #140
IAM_SO_sLOw
Zilvia FREAK!

hey carlos... would this radiator work?
pretty much same as the one you posted a few posts up except the outlets are on the proper side...

btw.. whats the difference between crossflow and downflow?
Old 10-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #141
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Quote:
hey carlos... would this radiator work?
pretty much same as the one you posted a few posts up except the outlets are on the proper side...

btw.. whats the difference between crossflow and downflow?
Hey,
This one will not work. I mentioned before the radiator will have to be flipped around so there are no air bubble on the lower radiator hose; the outlets have to be opposite the SR ones. If I can find one with middle outlets, it can be an option for both SR/KA compatability.

I searched over 100 radiators on SummitRacing...nothing.

Crossflow cores run horizontally while downflow cores run vertically.

Downflow

Crossflow

Carlos
Old 10-22-2006, 05:31 AM   #142
IAM_SO_sLOw
Zilvia FREAK!

what if you like reweld the lower hose to be at a 45degree angle? would that get rid of the air bubble?
does the radiators HAVE to be downflow?
Old 10-22-2006, 06:44 AM   #143
sil_8t
Leaky Injector

http://www.siliconhoses.com/content....022S&cat=0022S
reducers are right here.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:13 AM   #144
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Quote:
what if you like reweld the lower hose to be at a 45degree angle? would that get rid of the air bubble?
does the radiators HAVE to be downflow?
It could, but that would be more fabrication which would cost more money. A lower priced radiator will help offset the customization cost. Alot of people with koyos would be without a car if it was their daily. Plus I would have easier access to the waternecks with the radiator outlets up top. I already have a plan for the upper hose(s) which should work wonderfly. As for the bottom, it should not be that difficult and I already have something in mind. I need things to have their personal space and the silicone hose setup alone is running from $100-200.

Carlos
Old 10-22-2006, 02:24 PM   #145
IAM_SO_sLOw
Zilvia FREAK!

o ok...hmm... i think im going to it out..by modding the lower hose... umm so would i have to use downflow radiators or would cross be fine?
Old 10-22-2006, 05:31 PM   #146
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Quote:
o ok...hmm... i think im going to it out..by modding the lower hose... umm so would i have to use downflow radiators or would cross be fine?
It might have been mentioned before. Maybe someone who knows can chime in. I really don't have time to search around right now.

Carlos

ps thanks for that webiste for the silicone hoses
Old 10-22-2006, 07:06 PM   #147
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
Crossflow rads are fine in v-mount applications. I guess the only downside would be a smaller width core to fit the tanks on each side but it could be increased in height to compensate. Here is a Subaru we did the fabrication for in which a cross flow core was used. It has never had an issue with cooling.

driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #148
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Bill (!?!?!?),
I love the fabrication your shop does. I would love to stop by your shop one day. Would that setup work on a daily? Thanks for showing the radiator outlets, it has perfect for me to explain myself.

In regards to the crossflow radiator, we have 1 person with alot of experience whoe says yes, but I need that clarification on the street side of it.

If I get more positive responses for the crossflow, then we have a winner for the prototype.

Carlos
Old 10-22-2006, 07:37 PM   #149
Modern
Leaky Injector

Modern is an unknown quantity at this point
hey guys/girls i had a quick question about aerodynamics of this install. i was wondering about the air going under the car creating lift (red lines). if anyone could shed some light on the aerodynamic part of this install that would be great. thanks.

guilty

Modern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #150
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

I don't think the radiator is solid enough to create lift. Maybe infinitismly. If you are that concerned, get a skid plate or if you are even more of a pimp, get an entire cover for the bottom; from the bumper to the firewall.

Carlos