Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
an_orange_s2k
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
an_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
'74 Datsun 620

After selling my '73 Datsun 240z a couple years ago due to financial reason and being without a project I finally decided it was time to start on something new. I decided to on the 620 pickup since there aren't many around in Northern California, my dog can enjoy the breeze in the bed, and it is always nice to be able to throw/haul stuff and not worry about damaging the interior. I've owned a 521 and 620 before but unfortunately never finished them. After searching for a couple weeks I found the perfect truck in Oregon and contacted the owner. We exchanged a few messages/photos and I put down a deposit since I couldn't make the trip right away. A couple weeks later, hour fly, and one night stay in Oregon I was able to finally pick up this '74 620. Funny thing, this will be the second 620 truck I pick up from Oregon, the first being a '77 King Cab.

All of these photos were taken roughly 3-4 hours into my drive back home from Bend, Oregon to San Francisco, California. The 10 hour ride back home was a bit rough due to the blown shocks and loud blaring from the exhaust but the truck drove like a champ. One other concern was the temp gauge not working, PO owner said it never overheated, but I drove with the heater on just in case. Came with a Weber 32/36, lowering blocks in the rear, and a horn set up that plays the theme from the Godfather. For only $1150 I could not have been happier.

Gorgeous view driving down Oregon

Lisa Frank road dog sticker
an_orange_s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
boback1

Trader Rating: (0)
boback1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow Awesome find. I can't wait to see the progress on the build. I love those trucks. Been looking for one for a while but Texas is hard to find these kind of trucks. I need to look in the west coast.
boback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
an_orange_s2k
Zilvia FREAK!

an_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by boback1 View Post
Wow Awesome find. I can't wait to see the progress on the build. I love those trucks. Been looking for one for a while but Texas is hard to find these kind of trucks. I need to look in the west coast.
thanks man. i've had really good luck finding them cheap in Oregon. Cali has a few but they're all around $3-5k...its also getting really hard to find a clean unmolested one.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #4
an_orange_s2k
Zilvia FREAK!

Had to get a weight certificate since in California all trucks must be registered as a commercial vehicle.

Brought it to my buddys place for shop night

The reason behind the blaring.......blown out muffler. Debating on fixing the muffler or starting the process for the engine swap. I have the CAN/AM box from a member on RATSUN on hand and purchased a set of KA mounts from for the previous truck....just need to dig those out. I must admit since the truck is smog exempt I am looking into a SR swap but since I have mounts somewhere I may just go with a KA-T.

Found a great price on a set of Konig Countersteer Type X wheels on craigslist that I could not pass up especially since its so hard to find truck wheels. Since I work at a dealership I was able to purchase a set of new tires for cheap as well.....$800 for a set of wheels and new tires.

Here they are on the 620:
Konig Countersteer Type X: 16x8 +0
Ohtsu FP7000: 215/55/16

Photo to show how close the leaf springs are to the curb, rear is currently on 3in lowering blocks.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
Gostt02

Gostt02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice wheels choice.

Are you going to make a complete restauration or are you leaving it as a "rat rod" if I can say.
Gostt02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:56 PM   #6
an_orange_s2k
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostt02 View Post
Nice wheels choice.

Are you going to make a complete restauration or are you leaving it as a "rat rod" if I can say.
leaving the body the way it is for now until i finish other stuff (motor swap, air bags set up, seats). will be doing a compression test on the engine tomorrow and the results will determine if the motor swap will come sooner or later
Old 06-01-2016, 08:07 PM   #7
an_orange_s2k
Zilvia FREAK!

Results of the warm engine closed throttle compression test done last night,
1:

2:

3:

4:

The plan is to run this motor to the ground while I decide on which engine and the route I'll be going. On another note, decided to change out the shocks since they were completely done. Picked up a full set of KYB Gas-A-just from rockauto for $135 shipped and mailed in a $40 rebate. It was $95 for a full set of shocks....couldn't pass up a deal like that.

Install pics:

Old 06-02-2016, 06:41 AM   #8
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
This is a cool little project!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #9
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Datsun Love! Cool build!
Old 06-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #10
an_orange_s2k
Zilvia FREAK!

Always a great feeling when you come home to packages! Ordered a bunch of stuff from Rockauto: engine gasket set, caliper rebuild set, rear brake drums/shoes, and matchbox distributor

and......a set of brake brackets from Beebani!

can't wait to slap on the brackets with these bad boys......26mm 300zx calipers. Just need to tear them down and decide what color to powder coat them.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:11 AM   #11
dawagarage
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
nice. keep it up.

ratsun: dawa (73 datsun 620)
clublexus: properD (97 sc300)
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #12
an_orange_s2k
Zilvia FREAK!

Was lurking around on eBay for fun and came across a nice set of Work Deerfield Pitney wheels, 16x8.5 w/ -6 offset in 6x139.7. The "Buy it now" was set at $930.00 so I shot the seller my offer ($750.00) for kicks expecting to get shot down. I check my email later on and see this....

Guess I have a new set of wheels on the way...oops
Old 06-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #13
an_orange_s2k
Zilvia FREAK!

Was pretty bummed out the other day when the Warriors lost Game 6 but came home to a pleasant surprise.......my wheels arrived a few days early!

Also received a new set of KA mounts from Redeye since I lost my first pair

Dropped off the z32 calipers and brackets off to get powder coated earlier this week so hoping to install the set up and the rest of the parts I've been gathering.

Last edited by an_orange_s2k; 06-21-2016 at 07:43 PM..
Old 06-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #14
Lees_Garage
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (66)
Lees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really nice
Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Great come up, and awesome project. I love these old trucks. sub'd

@lees_garage
Lees_Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #15
an_orange_s2k
Zilvia FREAK!

Haven't posted anything in a while due to:

1. I picked up a Traeger tailgater smoker 4th of July weekend from OSH with no sales tax and have been having a blast! Photo next to the Char-Broil Thermos 4 burner grill. I've been smoking ribs, brisket, and pork butt the entire day on my days off

2. Picked up a 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium

Bought this baby with literally 1 mile!

Was in the market for another SUV since the Range Rover reached 80k and was planning to trade it in for a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon since I love the look, off road capability, and the vast aftermarket parts availability. The test drive was rough to say the least and left a lot to be desired. Long story short the 4Runner was in the back of my head and by chance the representative drove one from Enterprise to the dealer the next morning so I asked to take it around the block. Shot a bunch of inquiries for one right afterwards.

At this point I am still slowly putting together the truck HOWEVER I must admit....I may put it up for sale or trade soon with this new purchase. I received the calipers and brackets back from West Coast powdercoat and love the color. The brackets are just black so nothing crazy there.

Rebuilding calipers

Depending on my final decision on whether to keep the truck or not will determine if these go on. I also have a package from BC Fab I received a little while ago....part of the airbag set up arrived!

Was tired of the blaring noise so I had the folks at golden auto muffler weld in a Thrush Glasspack 24200. Didn't get a photo while the car was up since my phone died so this will have to do. They asked if I wanted a tail pipe and I told them to make a short one pointing down. Reminds me of my old J's Racing exhaust on my s2000 just a lot cheaper.....and red.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #16
an_orange_s2k
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees_Garage View Post
Great come up, and awesome project. I love these old trucks. sub'd
thanks man! love your build
Old 07-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #17
WreckedS14

Trader Rating: (1)
WreckedS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have been looking for a set of real Japanese wheels for my D21 for so long.. Good find on the Pitney's! I'm looking forward to watching this come together!
WreckedS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:25 AM   #18
soundboy
Zilvia Junkie

soundboy is an unknown quantity at this point
beautiful build. datsuns are the way
soundboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #19
Badboyz31