Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Agent_S13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Agent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
5-Lug Conversion Hubs & Wheel Bearing Replacement

Years ago, I converted my 4-lug S13 to 5-lug.

Probably is, I don't remember if I got the Attain hubs or the Ichiba ones (I'm thinking Attain) but they were used and now the wheel bearing is going out up front.

Based on some research, it looks like I can press out the old bearing and replace with another one.

Reference Thread # 1 - Attain Hubs:
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/486873...ring-size.html

Reference Link #2 - FR Sport Hub and Bearing Options
Wheel Hub & Bearings

So no matter which model hub I have, I should be able to replace the wheel bearings on it?

Also -- would it be a 240sx wheel bearing for S13? Mechanic was thinking it might be a 300zx bearing but it looks to be a simple S13 wheel bearing option.

Thanks in advance!

-Aaron
'91 240sx coupe
Agent_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
TypeXFan
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
TypeXFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As far as I know, there are 2 primary options to coverting your fronts to 5 lugs. Option 1 go aftermarket hubs and re-use S13 bearings, Option 2 S14 fronts which I would assume would use S14 bearings.
TypeXFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Option 3: get them new from nissan. If you want the wheel bearings to last, that is.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Agent_S13
Zilvia Junkie

Agent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to allAgent_S13 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeXFan View Post
As far as I know, there are 2 primary options to coverting your fronts to 5 lugs. Option 1 go aftermarket hubs and re-use S13 bearings, Option 2 S14 fronts which I would assume would use S14 bearings.
Appreciate the refresher but I already have 5-lug conversion hubs on my car. I'm trying to get definitive information that I can replace the wheel bearings only?

Though it seems like you can with Ichiba Hubs and since Attain now sells their hubs without bearings, I assume I can also.

Though its been mentioned already that S14 front hubs are like "sealed" units where you cannot separate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
Option 3: get them new from nissan. If you want the wheel bearings to last, that is.
Can you provide confirmation that S13 bearings will fit Attain/Ichiba hub conversions?

Keep the (relevant) information coming!

-Aaron
'91 240sx coupe
Old 01-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The hard part is removing then fitting the new bearing without damaging anything, which is why nissan sells the whole assembly. I heard so much fail about these conversion hubs that i got nissan ones.

Mind you, i have actually never SEEN one fail, as no one i know have them. But i did not want to risk it.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
Agent_S13
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
The hard part is removing then fitting the new bearing without damaging anything, which is why nissan sells the whole assembly. I heard so much fail about these conversion hubs that i got nissan ones.

Mind you, i have actually never SEEN one fail, as no one i know have them. But i did not want to risk it.
Thanks. I wouldn't mind replacing with another unit but its not like I can buy an S13 5-lug hub. Would need to replace a number of other units for an S14 hub, including pressing in my extended studs as well. Just hoping I can get away with a bearing replacement only.

I figure if people are using their S13 bearings in their Ichiba hubs w/out issue, I should be ok replacing mine instead of trying to buy a single Attain/Ichiba hub.

If anyone knows for sure if I can replace it with an S13 wheel bearing, it would make me feel better about my upcoming replacement.

Thanks!

-Aaron
'91 240sx coupe