Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
roxzorz

Trader Rating: (0)
roxzorz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant leak. Pretty severe.

Today, my ka24e overheated. When I finally got to stop, I checked everything out. Filled up an empty radiator and found a leak below the water pump. I won't be able to get a close look at it tonight but I'm freaking out wondering if it's possible for an overheat to crack the block. I've searched as much as I can but nothing comes up that describes to what I think I saw.
roxzorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Could crack the block, likely warped the head badly. Easier to grab a new KA24E it sounds like than fix all that.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
roxzorz

Is there even a fix for something like a crack? I'm still a newb btw so if that's a crazy question, I apologize.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
There is a thing at the bottom of the water pump called a weep hole. You probably just need to replace your water pump. When it goes out it will leak coolant through this hole until you replace the pump.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
roxzorz

That's very comforting to know because the steady stream of coolant leaked directly below the water pump. I'm praying that that's the problem.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
PureRush
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
PureRush is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
A leak isn't a big deal unless the coolant is all gone like you said. Fix the leak then do a compression test to see if it's still running strong
PureRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
dawagarage
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
first thought that came to my mind was also the weep hole. in which case, you just have to replace the water pump.
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
roxzorz

Thought just dawned on me and I left my car at a friend's house so I cant check at theoment, but if the coolant wasn't coming out of the weep hole, would that be a crack in the timing cover or the block?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
KISS=keep it simple stupid. Check the water pump and report back.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
roxzorz

Instagram

Here's the water pump. I guess the seal was all fucked up. Is that what caused the leak through the bottom weep hole?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
roxzorz

Sorry. I'm on my phone and it was the only way I knew to upload it. Haha.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Trader Rating: (36)
wangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wangan_cruiser
after you fix that do a compression test to check your headgasket if you didnt blew it
wangan_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangan_cruiser View Post
after you fix that do a compression test to check your headgasket if you didnt blew it
Word, that seal being like that would have made it leak out the weep hole. Now replace it and make sure you burp any air in the system when you refill it. If you don't know how just search the forums for it. There are a few threads here about it.

The compression test is a good idea just to be thorough. While you're at it you could also replace your thermostat since the car is empty of coolant.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
roxzorz

Got the new pump on there, now I just need to make sure it survives a drive home. I'll follow up on the compression test when I get the chance. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
jdm213
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
jdm213 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
change your pump and ur thermostat since ur gonna be opening that anyways common sense nigga
jdm213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
roxzorz

After letting it sit for an hour after bringing it home, there was coolant on the ground. Sigh.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
SnakeKack
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
SnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SnakeKack
I just went through this with my KA24DE. Fix the leak and anything else that may leak like any hoses that are crunchy when you squeeze them. Replace the thermo with a NISSAN thermo. Take out the radiator and flush the shit out of it and your block just in case any scaling broke loose from inside the engine and is flowing around, which is what happened to me.

My engine has 236k on it and overheated. It got so hot it melted the ends of my spark plug wires that attach to the plugs. I had bad misfiring and thought I blew my head gasket. I did a combustion leak test after I fixed my leaking hose that caused the problem in the first place and it passed. You can buy the leak tests at NAPA or order them online. My car survived it and is running great.

Good luck and try to replace any part of the cooling system that needs attention.
SnakeKack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #18
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Make sure you aren't leaking from around your new water pump. Check the seal on it.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #19
PureRush
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
PureRush is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Did you pee in your radiator?
PureRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
Morphious

Trader Rating: (3)
Morphious is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxzorz View Post
After letting it sit for an hour after bringing it home, there was coolant on the ground. Sigh.
Not the end of the world, check and make sure all of your connections are tight. I seriously doubt you cracked the block.

Clean everything off, as best you can, start it and try to see where its coming from.

Did you use RTV sealant on the pump?
How long did you let it sit for?

If you installed it and then drove thats probably the problem. RTV needs to sit for up to 24 Hrs. Every time i've changed a water pump on my KA and Sr i let it sit for a full 24 to make sure I didnt have to change the damn gasket again.
Morphious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #21
roxzorz

Well I didn't let the rtv set for 24 hours, but I didn't see any evidence of a leaking pump at first glance. In time I'm eventually just gonna flush the entire system and maybe get all new parts.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #22
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm213 View Post
change your pump and ur thermostat since ur gonna be opening that anyways common sense n......
You should probably edit this post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #23
roxzorz

So I got a new overflow tank and it seems like its still leaking from the pump. Maybe I didn't put enough rtv? The old pump didn't have a gasket on there so I didn't cake it with a lot of rtv.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #24
ryandriftingfat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
ryandriftingfat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Could crack the block, likely warped the head badly. Easier to grab a new KA24E it sounds like than fix all that.
Are you for real? Leaking water pump = new motor?

OP - if you're leaking from a water pump, then center your efforts around the pump - why did you buy a new overflow tank? So you got a new pump and it's still leaking from the same spot?

When you took the old off, did you clear off any remaining gasket from it? Did you lay down a bead of RTF around the whole water pump flange? Did you inspect the cover for any cracks? Is the leak getting any bigger or smaller? Could there just have been leftover water that you now see under your car?

Timing chain covers usually leak on the inside, as a result of the timing chain eating through the cover over time.
ryandriftingfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #25
roxzorz

I bought a new tank because I didn't have one and I originally didn't know the persistent leak was still coming from the new pump. Someone suggested it was coming out of the overflow, so I bought the tank. I put a small amount of liquid gasket to aid the water pump gasket, yes I cleaned off the surface of old liquid gasket. I'm assuming I'm just gonna have to remove the new pump, replace the gasket and applying liquid gasket this time around.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #26
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxzorz View Post
I bought a new tank because I didn't have one and I originally didn't know the persistent leak was still coming from the new pump. Someone suggested it was coming out of the overflow, so I bought the tank. I put a small amount of liquid gasket to aid the water pump gasket, yes I cleaned off the surface of old liquid gasket. I'm assuming I'm just gonna have to remove the new pump, replace the gasket and applying liquid gasket this time around.
you can get a real gasket for that if you wanted to, i think they sell them at autozone.
But i rtv water pumps all the time, i suggest ULTRA GREY silicone. its worked for me 100s of times
Tantwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote