Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
hachiboy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
hachiboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
SR Quest alternator on sr20det, how can i make it work?

Hello everybuddy! Like the title says, i have a quest minivan alternator that i wanna use on my sr20 redtop, i drilled out the mounting holes and bolted it in, swapped the sr20 pulley onto it and got the belt on it, my only problem is the bracket.

How can i make the bracket work for this thing? i tried grinding the bottom of the curved area where you adjust the tension but it the mounting hole of the alt doesnt line up. Someone told me to use washers and to put the belt on the last three grooves of the pulley but the its the sr20 pulley so it goes on perfect. Am i supposed to use the quest pulley instead? and where do i put the washers? and how can i make the bracket work without having to make a custom one? I searched some threads but didnt find anything. Thanks in advance! Peace,
hachiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
hachiboy
Leaky Injector

did some research and nobody has info for the sr20 on ka's just need help with the bracket!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Stay Tuned, I'll have bolt on kits available for SR20 owners very shortly PM for more information

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
midnight_rex
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
midnight_rex is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
a friend of mine made mine for me from angled steel. ill get pictures of it when i go back to my shop. its very sturdy and clears the block by inches. we used the stock SR20 bracket with very lil modification.
midnight_rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
hachiboy
Leaky Injector

Yea i got mine to werk too! extended the adj. slot and grinded the very bottom of the bracket very thin, and removed one of the long bolts off of the alternator.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #6
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
oh, keep me posted cody!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
I should start having these available by beginning of next week. Working on getting the perfect belt size as we speak.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
is there a thread about your brackets codyace? ive searched...info on the conversion?
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
mattsil80wis
Zilvia Junkie

mattsil80wis is making a name for him/her selfmattsil80wis is making a name for him/her self
PM codyace he sells the kits...i run it and love it....so do many others
mattsil80wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
RebornS14.HTC
BANNED

RebornS14.HTC is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RebornS14.HTC
i thought i saw a post for this. if i find, ill post, but i have to ask, why? you have to have 110amps? if so, for what?
RebornS14.HTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:53 AM   #11
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornS14.HTC View Post
i thought i saw a post for this. if i find, ill post, but i have to ask, why? you have to have 110amps? if so, for what?
Electric Fans (Dual)
Big Fuel Pump
Meth Pump
Air Conditioning
Ignition Amp
Etc etc etc

With the more systems you add, the more 'workload' the factory 75'er has to do...and if you ever log your car at high RPM with a bunch of things working/on, you'll notice a severe lack of juice on the top end....ever since swapping these over on cars, EVERYONE has seen better voltage up top (as in, not in the high 11/low 12 range)

Old 09-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #12
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
OE is 80A. Except for 1995-96 SE models, which are 90A.

But you're right, the more total amperage output, the more idle amperage you have available.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
s15lover
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (14)
s15lover is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to s15lover
I'm working on something right now using a fwd bracket...had one laying around and it "looks" like it may work with simple long cylindrical spacers, drilling a hole in the bracket, and using longer bolts to mount it. If it works...then people will be able to do this for the price of a fwd alternator bracket. Downside is I have yet to mount it on the block with the rest of everything. I'm pretty sure it'll work though as there's nothing in front of the original bracket and all I'm doing is moving it out...guess we'll see.

ok just found that the se-r (usdm fwd sr20 adjustment bracket is the exact same as the p12 sr20ve one I have by google)
here's a pic of what I'm referring to

drilling a hole where the x is and mounting it to the rwd sr main alternator bracket, obviously reversed, with longer bolts and spacers.
upside...it'll look factory lol...I do like cody's kit though however...I just choose to do things myself unless it's not economical.
s15lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
xbondage21x

xbondage21x is an unknown quantity at this point
i want a kit, NOW!
xbondage21x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
mattsil80wis
Zilvia Junkie

mattsil80wis is making a name for him/her selfmattsil80wis is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbondage21x View Post
i want a kit, NOW!
PM codyace
mattsil80wis is offline   Reply With Quote