Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
rancid240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (72)
rancid240 will become famous soon enoughrancid240 will become famous soon enoughrancid240 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 72 reviews
SR20det battery/brake light (even after alternator change)

Background, its an sr motor that had brake/battery light on, dead battery. Charged battery (tested good), lights were still on. Took out SR alternator, replaced with re-man KA unit. Both lights are still on. Interestingly the SR alternator tested good after removal as well.

All connections appear well, alternator ground to battery has no resistance, battery posi to alternator power has no resistance. Also tested for volt drop accross both and nothing measurable.

From what I've read on this website Charging System Checks (Alternator Testing) the battery and brake light's come on when the alternator is not giving any charge. However, the car is putting out 11v off at battery, when on its 13.5 volts, I read that you want 1.5-2v extra when alternator is on to signal that you are charging.

What I want to do is test the alternator's output to the battery light, which I am assuming is the clip harness that comes from the alternator. However, I want to know what kind of voltage I should be looking for? If its not putting any voltage out it will trip the battery light, but how much is enough to turn it off? Thanks
rancid240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links