Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-19-2023, 09:51 AM   #1
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quick tip: don't buy third party transmission sensors/switches.

On my car all the transmission switches had brittle and broken wiring and connectors. The wiring broke off from vibration and age on several of them. For $15 or so you can buy Beck/Arnley 2011671 or equivalents as replacements. You can even find them on AliExpress branded by HongWin (which is probably the actual manufacturer) as cheaply as $5.

This aftermarket sensor is inherently flawed - it's vented. You can blow a little air through it. What this means is when the transmission warms up and the fluid expands it will also blow oil right through it. I parked by car after a long drive and found about 3oz of MT-90 on the garage floor. A couple of the sensors are at the same level as the fill plug more or less, a couple sit slightly lower and are constantly submerged in oil.

There is one thing the aftermarket sensors are good for once you've made my mistake, though, and that's if you have a good soldering iron, you can cut off the wiring at the sensor (the wire they use is actually pretty nice with insulation that feels like silicone), do the same with your stock sensor, clean them up nice with isopropyl, and solder the new wire to the old sensor. Works perfectly.

But if you don't want to screw around, true OE sensors are still available:

32005-21U1B replaces the reverse light and 5th gear switch

32006-CD10B replaces the neutral position and 4th gear switch
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2023, 03:31 PM   #2
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
All switches like pressure switches or reverse switches just best going with OEM really... Good info
Old 08-11-2023, 06:05 PM   #3
zer0c123

Trader Rating: (0)
zer0c123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah I had the same experience with aftermarket tranny sensors. When I replaced the clutch, all the sensors were leaking and the wires were brittle. Most snapped when I tried to reinstall them.

I bought WVE aftermarket sensors thinking they would be good as they were owned by NTK/NGK. Three of the sensors leaked through the rear wiring. The reverse sensor would not turn on the rear lights. When taking apart the harness to check the electrical, I noticed they manufactured it with poor weather sealing.

Only the neutral sensor worked and did not leak. I think the neutral one was basically OEM (made in japan) because it looked exactly like the old one. The other 3 were made in china.

I was going to order 3 new OEM sensors (reverse, 4th and 5th) from the Nissan dealer, but I realized the manual tranny on 240s don’t need the 4th or 5th sensors. There’s another thread on zilvia that mentioned it. Therefore I only ordered the OEM reverse.

For 4th and 5th sensors, I just replaced it with an oil drain plug. The size is M14x1.50. Been driving for awhile with no issues.
zer0c123 is offline   Reply With Quote