Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
96rbs14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
96rbs14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Z32 TT guru's step inside hp questions

Ok guys first off thanks for looking.

Alright Im getting anxious and need to know the estiment on how much power I'm going to have to the tires...

I've got a TT jdm motor have brand new rebuilt t25 turbos which were the stockers that I had sent off.
Z1 ecu bought from z1 for 300
550 purple top injectors,
Cold air intake k&n filter
Z1 side mount intercoolers
Z1 hard piping
Z1 boost jets for 14lbs
2.5 down pipes+ test pipes
No cats, rs type burnt tip mufflers
Stock clutch
The high dollar plugs z1 recommends for the tune.
Ecu is based on 550 injectors, 5spd, etc

I've been told anywhere from 300-400?!?!?!?
Has anyone had a similar setup?????

I am converting it from a us white z32tt auto to the jdm TT 5spd

Just got back from track and ran a 8.98 with a 2.1 60ft and 78.79 mph. This is with USA TT and a auto tranny with a cheap ecu from concept z with 14lbs injectors. 18 ich wheels and 275 street tires. My guess I'm right around 265rwhp.

Not bad for a dd car but Im hoping to get in the low 8's with the 5spd and other ecu with 550 injectors and exhaust work. Think it will happen?!?

Thanks for looking
Chris
96rbs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
koji187
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
koji187 is on the path to ruinkoji187 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I'm not a guru, pro or anything but I think at least 300, a friend pulled low-mid 12's with pretty much the same setup. hp ain't shit torque is. auto is boring but faster shifts than any 5 speed
koji187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
rossttz

Trader Rating: (0)
rossttz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2.5" exhaust and those intercoolers are going to hurt you.

I'd guess 325.
rossttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
96rbs14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossttz View Post
2.5" exhaust and those intercoolers are going to hurt you.

I'd guess 325.
Hey now you can't say that without giving reason lol. Why is it going to hurt me? I'm new with 300zx so help me. I want torque and top end power.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
rossttz

Sorry for not being clear.

Stock IC piping is very restricting as well as 2.5" exhaust (though a large improvement over stock). I'm looking to obtain 400whp on 93 octane on stock turbos because I opted for a 3" exhaust setup and 2.5" piping with Ash massives.

A dual intake setup (Selin dual MAF translator is best) would help you get more power out of this setup.

If you haven't bought anything yet, i'd say go for 3" dps/testpipes to get alot more power out of your build.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
96rbs14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossttz View Post
Sorry for not being clear.

Stock IC piping is very restricting as well as 2.5" exhaust (though a large improvement over stock). I'm looking to obtain 400whp on 93 octane on stock turbos because I opted for a 3" exhaust setup and 2.5" piping with Ash massives.

A dual intake setup (Selin dual MAF translator is best) would help you get more power out of this setup.

If you haven't bought anything yet, i'd say go for 3" dps/testpipes to get alot more power out of your build.
Crap, crap, crap!!! Where were you when I ordered all that??? Only thing I havent ordered yet is the z1 chip for the 550cc injectors which is only 50 bucks, and was going to order z1 intercoolers the other night until I heard you say not to... What intercoolers should I go with? I was told they were the best?!?
Old 03-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
ernestz300z

ernestz300z is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd def get the selin dual maf kit, I would only get the 2.5 intercooler piping if you upgraded the turbo's and then you could get the z1 58mm throttle bodies! I'd def get teh 3">2.5 downpipes unless you plan to get a full 3" exhaust which isn't necessary Russel from z1 only had 2.5 exhaust on his 1000whp convertible back in the day! More importantly make sure all your maintenance is done, timing belt, cas, ptu, engine harness etc. also since your doing a 5 speed swap go for a z1 flywheel and a southbend clutch!
ernestz300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
96rbs14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestz300z View Post
I'd def get the selin dual maf kit, I would only get the 2.5 intercooler piping if you upgraded the turbo's and then you could get the z1 58mm throttle bodies! I'd def get teh 3">2.5 downpipes unless you plan to get a full 3" exhaust which isn't necessary Russel from z1 only had 2.5 exhaust on his 1000whp convertible back in the day! More importantly make sure all your maintenance is done, timing belt, cas, ptu, engine harness etc. also since your doing a 5 speed swap go for a z1 flywheel and a southbend clutch!
A 1/2 inch on down pipes makes that big of a difference?

Timing belt, knock sensor, cas, ptu, and brand new engine harness replaced... Also did away with ALL rubber hoses in the engine bay and went with z1 silicone (black in color) hoses so I'll never have to deal with a popped or cracked vac line... Also got chrome and silicone radiator kit from z1.

I'm trying to do this correctly and the right way the first time.

What oil do you guys prefer? I use mobil one synthetic in my rb25 s14, does the vg like it aswell?!?!?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:50 AM   #9
ernestz300z

Currently I use amsoil signature series 0w-30, it good stuff, I'm looking into eneos ow-50! Personally I'm going a different route with my Z, if you want to know my plans send me a message and i'll tell, its quite a list lol! This is only my opinion, if you really want to justify 2.5" intercooler piping and a full 3" exhaust I would get a set of forged pistons, ms manifolds, and jwt 530 bb turbos ( or z1's equivalant), with 740cc injectors, jwt mild cams, extruded and honed upper and lower intake manifolds, with matching head port and polish, all dyno tuned with at least 2 fuel maps! to me that would be the perfect DD Street Z
Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
96rbs14
Zilvia Junkie

That's sounds mean but I don't have the money to do that right now maybe a later time... I want the most power for a bargain that's why I'm doing bolt one I stead of pistons, cams etc etc.

Why run 2.5 intercooler piping, and why 3" full exhaust???
I want to achieve around 340-360ish to the tires.... Please enlighten me on how to do this a fast cheaper way then building shortblock....
Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
ernestz300z

300zx and bargain usually don't mix to well LOL! Do u know what type of stock turbo you have? turbos from auto engines have more response were as turbos from manual engines have more power output potential! Do you have a true cat back exhaust or do u just have welded on mufflers? A true cat back is gonna be alot better! If you do have a cat back then just get a pulley kit, upgrade the clutch, and then get her dyno tuned since you have a chipped ecu, that should get you in your in the range of you goal! Stock Tt engines put out about 250-260whp and are rated 300 crank hp, its been advertised that with an intake filter, cat back exhaust, and ecu upgrade that you can make about 400hp! oh and also what kind of tires do you have, that can make a big difference on the strip!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
rossttz

Quote:
Currently I use amsoil signature series 0w-30, it good stuff, I'm looking into eneos ow-50! Personally I'm going a different route with my Z, if you want to know my plans send me a message and i'll tell, its quite a list lol! This is only my opinion, if you really want to justify 2.5" intercooler piping and a full 3" exhaust I would get a set of forged pistons, ms manifolds, and jwt 530 bb turbos ( or z1's equivalant), with 740cc injectors, jwt mild cams, extruded and honed upper and lower intake manifolds, with matching head port and polish, all dyno tuned with at least 2 fuel maps! to me that would be the perfect DD Street Z
Ok, uhh... no.

3" exhaust DRAMATICALLY increases turbo spool. 2.5" piping increases airflow as well as intercoolers with 2.5" outlets.

The stock turbos reach a nearly "NA" torque curve with "breather" mods, as theyre called.

Full breather mods on 93 octane is good for 400whp+ on stock turbos, stock motor.

Retaining the stock heads for as along as possible is beneficial due to their reliability. You can push 450-500 safely on a bone stock tt motor.

Starting to mess with turbos and cams is expensive and modding for the sake of modding.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #13
ernestz300z

Yes I know what a stock TT motor is capable! and if you read right I said It was only my opinion that to justify those two mods that you suggested (2.5 intercooler piping, and 3" full exhaust) that is what I would do! I never told him to upgrade his turbos or cams! That list is what my idea of the perfect street Z would be!

Now 96rbs14 is on a buget, I doubt he wants to spent $700-800 plus shipping on 2.5 intercooler piping and the $1000-2000 for a complete 3" exhaust when he has most of the mods he will need for his current goals with the car! Remember this is a DD I don't think he want to squeeze out every single hp he can get out of it, it sounds to me that he is trying to be practical with his Z! and like I said in my previous post get a catback (if all he did was weld on some mufflers), clutch, and dyno tune the car with all the other mods he listed he has and I would bet that he could be around 350whp!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Quote:
Yes I know what a stock TT motor is capable! and if you read right I said It was only my opinion that to justify those two mods that you suggested (2.5 intercooler piping, and 3" full exhaust) that is what I would do! I never told him to upgrade his turbos or cams! That list is what my idea of the perfect street Z would be!

Now 96rbs14 is on a buget, I doubt he wants to spent $700-800 plus shipping on 2.5 intercooler piping and the $1000-2000 for a complete 3" exhaust when he has most of the mods he will need for his current goals with the car! Remember this is a DD I don't think he want to squeeze out every single hp he can get out of it, it sounds to me that he is trying to be practical with his Z! and like I said in my previous post get a catback (if all he did was weld on some mufflers), clutch, and dyno tune the car with all the other mods he listed he has and I would bet that he could be around 350whp!
the mods he listed are "OK" but won't really do anything worth while.

i completly agree with the whole 3" Exhaust set up and 2.5" Intercooler piping, throttle bodies and ported upper plenum.. that will yield the best gains results and power. sure ruzzel got 1000whp out of his Z back in the day on a 2.5" dual exhaust. but he also had nitrous and 2.5" intercooler setup.

Stock Turbo 2.5" Piping and 3" exhaust is really the way to go. don't waste your time with a 2.5" exhaust. run dual 3" specialty Z exhaust and get the Concept Z intercooler pipe kit. Z1 throttles with plenum. then call seb over at specialty z to make you a chip.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #15
ernestz300z

Yes I understand that a 3" exhaust and 2.5" intercooler piping will def be worth it I'm just saying for someone on a budget and with a goal of around 350whp they are not needed! and yeah his mod list isn't worth while but neither is his goal of 340-360whp which would be around 400-425 crank hp! I'm trying to help him keep cost down!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #16
96rbs14
Zilvia Junkie

As of right now I'm tight on money due to just now jumping in and buying this z! And buying all the parts for it aswell. That's the only resaon I'm on a budget now 3 months from now I could prolly afford the 3" exhaust and piping but I will be driving this z everyday! I want something powerful yea but not Racecar fast lol. Something that when some punk ass kid in his daddys vette pulls up to me and laughs that I get the last laugh ya know?!?

Porting the plenum?!? I thought about doing that at home with my dremel... What are the gains to that...

I have manual turbos which were rebuilt zero miles on them, so hopefully they put down some nice power for stock turbos.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #17
bardabe
Post Whore!

bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
just wait the 3 months and do the full 3" exhaust. what i meant to say about ported plenum is the Extrude Honed upper plenum from Z1 of Stillen. not something you can do with a dremel unfortunately. although if you do get the Z1 throttle bodies you can port match the plenum with your dremel. trust me the extra wait will be worth it.

it's like i tell my customers. if your going do do it, do it right the first time or don't do it at all.

Review Thread
Old 03-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
bardabe
Post Whore!

OH also forgot to mention the golden rule for Z32's CHEAP, FAST, RELIABLE. Pick 2 lol

Review Thread
Old 03-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #19
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Should have just bought a LS3 drop out.. They've been popping up around $4k.... +360whp...done
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #20
96rbs14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Should have just bought a LS3 drop out.. They've been popping up around $4k.... +360whp...done
I had a s14 that I put a ls2 with ls6 intake heads cam In and made 394 and loved it but, it got boring quick. I traded it for a rock crawler which I still have and felt the need for speed and built the rb25 series one with a holset hx35 top mount turbo that's my DD. Its fun for now. Lol.

Will I find the ported plenum on z1???