Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
dizzariot's S13 & Lessons Learned

So I figured that I'd start one of these now that 'I'm back'. I bought my first S13 three years ago. It was built by a guy that owns a classic car restoration shop in Orange County. He put it together for his son and you could tell no corners were cut. The car had fresh paint, a superb SR swap, and all new interior. It was honestly a steal at $4,500 when I jumped on it. A few months later I found another forum member's car was for sale. It had Type-X aero and not much else worth while but I was too impatient to realize this and I sold my car to purchase his.

....well that car ended up being a ref ticket waiting to happen so I offloaded it onto someone that was looking to build a track car. I tried to contact the buyer of my first S13 (some young cat who had zero fucking idea what he was getting himself into) to see if he would sell it back to me. I almost begged. I offered more. The kid said he wasn't selling it...

...then he sold it to someone else. I couldn't fucking believe it. I ended up buying an S14 and completing the NaVaN aero. I grew tired of that and sold it as well. Just before I left for boot camp I bought an S13 coupe with ~70k original miles on it with a working HUD and all the OEM goodness you could ask for. I decided that this would be my 'big build' when I got back from basic training and my school afterwards. I took the car to my buddy at Final Speed Garage to get the necessary fluids changed and wouldn't you fucking know it? The guy that bought my first S13 was there getting a catalytic converter put on. We talked and he told me he bought it for LESS than I had sold it for. I guess the kid was too embarrassed to sell it back to me. Words cannot express my dismay. Words. Cannot. Express.

I ended up getting the dude's phone number and we stayed in touch and still talk to this day. While I was in training out in FL (seriously...fuck that place) I picked up an FRS. I had been on the hunt for another decent S13 since I finished basic training and hadn't seen anything. My wife thought it was time we had something with, you know, airbags or some bullshit. The idea behind the FRS was alluring and I fell for it. Hook, line, and sinker.

The FRS isn't a bad platform at all. Besides the torque dip in the mid-RPM range it was a blast to drive. Don't believe all the fancy blog features: this car is a ton of fun without a fucking turbo. I had even purchase my first set of TE37(RT)s with the FRS but it wasn't making me happy. To make matters worse the community has got to be THE shittiest community I've ever been involved in. You think cheap fuckers on here are bad? Try dealing with kids who's parents bought them their car...exclusively. The offers on my TEs were downright laughable when I decided to part the car out. I hate everyone on the forums. I got banned for telling someone who lowballed me to fuck off. Go figure.

I ended up getting stationed back in CA. Fuck. Like I really wanted to end up in the shitty state I came from. I sold the S13 coupe since my wife wanted something with, you know, airbags or some shit. I found her a nice, low-mileage 2005 Forester. I love it. Our dogs do, too. After a bunch of failed attempts to sell the FRS on the forums I ended up selling it to a local Honda dealership (of all places(. Negative equity was taken. Lessons were learned. I sold it because I found this:

It had R33 replicas on when I bought it and while I was waiting for my TE37Vs to be ready to ship from Australia I bought the Grid-Vs because they had decent tires and a smaller diameter. 17"s only belong on S13s with aero, in my opinion. They were never meant to be permanent. I don't condone blatant knockoffs. Anyways, my connection in Australia stopped contacting me for one reason or another and when we finally spoke again I was informed the TE37Vs were no longer available. I can't explain it but once you own a set of TEs you kind of want to keep on owning TEs until your heart explodes. Okay, not kind of, you totally want to. My second choice was waiting up in Northern CA. I had ordered FEAL 441 coilovers and they happened to show up the same at the same time my wheels did:

...and here I sit. I'm waiting for my 17" Yokohama S.Drives to sell so I can buy some 16" ones for my Watanabes. I have to do/get my fender work done, too. Depends on my schedule (military) and my ability to get my hands on a fender roller.

I wrote all of this shit because I've learned one thing throughout this whole debacle: ibe patient and do NOT settle for less. I plan on this being the ultimate restoration/mid-90's styled S13 build I'll ever accomplish. I've lost a lot of money and taken on the negative equity of a newer vehicle in the process. I've pissed my wife off numerous times. No more of that bullshit. Straight and true from now on.

I almost forgot. For anyone that may recognize my username and the first car I was talking about, you'll be happy to know I bought these back within 3 days of my owning this S13:

The future is looking good. I have some other rare-ish S13 goods I've been saving for this very moment. I'll get to those as this thing progresses. I don't aim to disappoint but at the same time I don't give a fuck. I don't go to all the circle-jerk meets and I rarely associate with others. Maybe a build thread will help me connect with like-minded folks.

Last edited by dizzariot; 02-24-2015 at 01:18 AM..
dizzariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
Apex Eight
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Apex Eight is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I can relate to parts of your mindset going into this build. I like the theme as well. You seem to have a clean slate, look forward to what you do with it. Subbed!
Apex Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I can relate to this. Sometimes you have to experience some things to really appreciate what you had initially.

subbed
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
dizzariot
Post Whore!

dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Thanks for sub'ing.

So I guess when I swapped back to 4lug I must've bent the flimsy brake dust shield. The pads out front must also be shit because they seem to be contacting the fucking rotor at all times and I can hear it when I move the car. I love it when they stick. I took the wheel off today to see what was up but it was too dark to pull everything off. I did, however, decide to throw one of the Wats on and see what it would look like. To my fucking dismay...

...the fucking things don't clear the brakes. I had a pair of 5mm spacers and I tried using one to see how much space I'd need. I don't think it's enough. Fuck my life. I was already thinking they might be a tad too aggressive in the front. I didn't want to run a severely stretched tire. Now it looks like I'm going to have to do a shitload of pulling to get the wheels to fit right. God. Dammnit.

I did the math and it came out to ~0.45in more aggressive than the 15x8+0 wheels sit. I can remember a forum member on here selling a white coupe with Wats on it. I don't recall a crazy stretch or spacers on the front wheels and now I can't find a reference. I guess this is where it gets interesting for now. Nothing ever just be straight fucking forward fuckfngdnfgksawnfsdfpunchababyinthefacekjdnfdfg.

Last edited by dizzariot; 02-24-2015 at 01:21 AM..
Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Forgot to mention that the owner sent me the info on the car. This time I'll be sure to keep it in a safer place where my wife can't throw away my notes

1993 S13 SE
S14 SR20DET/T28 BB Turbo
S14 5lug Hubs/Rotors - S14 4lug Hubs/Rotors
S14 Spindles
S14 Front/Rear Brakes
180sx Seats - S15 Silvia Spec R Seats
Apexi Head Gasket
Kouki Tail Lights
BLITZ Oil Filter Relocation
S13 VLSD
HKS BOV
HKS 3" Exhaust
HKS Turbo Timer
KTS Coilovers
Cusco Struts Front/Rear
Kazama Tension Rods
OMP Steering Wheel
17x9+15 Square Wheels G33 - Rota Grid-V 15x8+0
No Name Downpipe

There are things I plan to pull off and replace. I bought the Grid-Vs because I knew the seller and the tires were better than the ones that came with the OEM 4lug wheels. I would never give Rota my money.

Last edited by dizzariot; 02-24-2015 at 01:33 AM..
Old 01-22-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
dizzariot
Post Whore!

So I've been talking to the illustrious Mr. Streeter again...aaaaaaand now I might get a whole new set of wheels. No, I'm not a baller. I'm just stupid. Ask my wife.

Anyways I've been slow on the updates because (due the Navy move) I have no decent tools in my garage. I need to go buy a new jack, ratchet set, and some other tools before I start the fender work and suspension parts install. If everything goes as planned I'll be installing the following parts all at once:

New Rotors
New Brake Pads
Kazama Tie Rods
FEAL 441 Coilovers
New Wheels
Yokohama S.Drives

Last edited by dizzariot; 01-24-2015 at 07:05 AM..
Old 01-24-2015, 07:05 AM   #7
dizzariot
Post Whore!

....aaaaaaaand new wheels are ordered. Wats are for sale! Updates to follow upon receipt of the new wheels.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #8
mrturboextreme
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
mrturboextreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
subbed because I want to be here when another word is created. "swaggot" has become a perfect word for daily use around here.
mrturboextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #9
dmragecm
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
dmragecm is a glorious beacon of lightdmragecm is a glorious beacon of lightdmragecm is a glorious beacon of lightdmragecm is a glorious beacon of lightdmragecm is a glorious beacon of lightdmragecm is a glorious beacon of lightdmragecm is a glorious beacon of lightdmragecm is a glorious beacon of lightdmragecm is a glorious beacon of lightdmragecm is a glorious beacon of lightdmragecm is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I hate that feeling of selling a car and wanting it back!

I almost bought those Watanabes from the previous owner but the sizes are just too aggressive for what I want in a setup.

Looking forward to the progress
dmragecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:45 PM   #10
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrturboextreme View Post
subbed because I want to be here when another word is created. "swaggot" has become a perfect word for daily use around here.
If I ever decide to outdo myself I will PM you FIRST. When you subscribe to the myriad of words in my lexicon you get free sneak previews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmragecm View Post
I hate that feeling of selling a car and wanting it back!

I almost bought those Watanabes from the previous owner but the sizes are just too aggressive for what I want in a setup.

Looking forward to the progress
Yeah I was thinking the fronts would be a little too gnarly for me but I decided to get them anyway...aaaaaand then they didn't clear the S14 brakes. Again, maybe it was a sign to get what I wanted in the first place. The Wats are gorgeous, though. I'm not in too big of a rush to sell them and if my tax returns are decent I may just keep them for the rainiest of rainy days. You never know

Quasi-Update:

Someone, however, IS expressing interest in the wheels and if I can sell them without losing any money I might just do it.

On the flip side, I've also been talking to my little brother and I told him I'd be willing to let him make interest-free payments on the wheels if he wants to finally nut-up and get the ball rolling on his coupe. It would be nice to keep them close by...
Old 02-06-2015, 10:20 PM   #11
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Wow. Paid Jesse for shipping on Tuesday and my wheels show up on Thursday. From Japan. That's the first time I've ever done the 'overnight-parts-from-Japan' thing. Well, two nights but you get the idea. Took this pic since I might never be this cool again. The middle box is home to my FEAL coilovers. Props to my dogs for letting me borrow one of their beds.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
Arrowking
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Arrowking is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Subscribed because it seems more than the stance-drift type builds that populate this forum
Arrowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #13
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowking View Post
Subscribed because it seems more than the stance-drift type builds that populate this forum
I like to enjoy my tires.

Yokohamas should be here by the end of the week.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Pictures to come this weekend. Tires are in at the shop and I'll have them mounted on Wednesday. If all goes as planned I'll also have my fender work done. I'll be spending the rest of the day installing the rotors/brake pads as well as throwing on my suspension and dialing everything in.

On a side note, do any of you San Diego natives know of an awesome paint shop? I've PM'd some users and searched some threads. The most recent thread listed some places that I'll be visiting soon. I prefer firsthand accounts, though.

This is my 1,000th post. Someone kiss me.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #15
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Dude. Sorry for lack of updates. A lot of stuff is in the works. Hopefully this weekend you'll see some shit. If you care. lawls.

Currently:

-Trying to get the car in at a local body shop. Front/rear bumpers, front extensions, and lower tail light trim to be painted/match to the rest of the car. My quote was pretty fair so I think I'll see if I can sneak in some other touch-ups for a little extra.

-Found some other hard-to-find goodies coming from Japan. Some other things will be acquired stateside.

Last edited by dizzariot; 02-24-2015 at 01:26 AM..
Old 02-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #16
Hoonigan19
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Hoonigan19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
stock s13hatch with kouki lights... simple but i like.... i need a set of them koukis too
Hoonigan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #17
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonigan19 View Post
stock s13hatch with kouki lights... simple but i like.... i need a set of them koukis too
There's a set or two in the marketplace right now. Your username. Man...
Old 02-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #18
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Car is officially dropped of at the body shop. Saw some awesome old cars there and the work was top-notch. Can't wait to see the results...
Old 02-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #19
X9C
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
X9C is making a name for him/her selfX9C is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Really like how this is going! what's the sizing on the te37 V's?
X9C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #20
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X9C View Post
...that's like asking my what size my dick is. The difference? I'd tell you about my dick before I told you about my wheel size lol. I might have posted it somewhere else on accident...

When I get it back and roll the fenders I'll post pictures so you can take a guess at it.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #21
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Gotta pick this thing up tomorrow! Starting a 3-week school via the Navy tomorrow...this means I'll have a 'regular-ish' schedule. I plan on getting a good deal of shit done this week. Idle hands, right?
Old 03-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #22
MYN1SMO

MYN1SMO is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by X9C View Post
16x8 +15..
MYN1SMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #23
mrturboextreme
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
...that's like asking my what size my dick is. The difference? I'd tell you about my dick before I told you about my wheel size lol. I might have posted it somewhere else on accident...

When I get it back and roll the fenders I'll post pictures so you can take a guess at it.

In for dick size. I mean wheel specs...
Old 03-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #24
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Mmmmm those wheels are sweet.

But you're still a chowderhead.

But here I am subscribing anyways.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #25
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYN1SMO View Post
16x8 +15..
Nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrturboextreme View Post

In for dick size. I mean wheel specs...
PM me, you cheeky little tease, you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post
Mmmmm those wheels are sweet.

But you're still a chowderhead.

But here I am subscribing anyways.
Oh dude I'm a proper cunt with a 4,586ft. antenna and a shitty garage. I think they missed the part where I'm in the Navy and I'm renting a house during the short time I'm here. I didn't know I was supposed to epoxy the floors and heat the place...

...because I'm a hypocritical chowderhead, d00d.

UPDATE: The body shop postponed me...again...but I believe it's because of their caliber of work. The guy called and said most of the hardware holding my bumpers on just fucking snapped when they tried to remove it. They had to get new shit. There was the first delay. Then he said the bumpers were a little warped (didn't look like it to me, but I don't work in his field, you know?) and he wanted to fix them properly before painting. Now the bumpers are in paint and tomorrow they'll be color-sanding/polishing to make sure everything pops nicely. If you say some of the other cars sitting in their shop you'd have the faith I have.

I also ordered some rare, cool-points-inducing OEM Nissan parts from Japan. Can't wait!
Old 03-03-2015, 05:22 PM   #26
ZERTA RACING
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
ZERTA RACING is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Where did you send it to get painted? I am in Sandiego and looking for a painter to repaint my kouki. Jambs and all windows pulled. Nice wheels by the way!
ZERTA RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #27
kevinzhou
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
kevinzhou is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
love dorisha styling 16s all day but im too much of a fanboi so im gonna stick with big wheels for now
Old 03-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #28
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZERTA RACING View Post
Where did you send it to get painted? I am in Sandiego and looking for a painter to repaint my kouki. Jambs and all windows pulled. Nice wheels by the way!
Just picked it up from Loose Cannon Customs in Santee. Looks like they did an amazing job. I still have OC spray in my eyes from today's training but I'll try to get some better pictures. The guy (Tommy) called me everyday with updates. My initial reaction/review: there isn't a bad thing to say about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinzhou View Post
love dorisha styling 16s all day but im too much of a fanboi so im gonna stick with big wheels for now
Hahahahaha make the change! Tires are too expensive nowadays lol.

So here are some quick pictures after I picked it up. Everything that was painted looks awesome and the pearl is spot-on. Pictures don't do it justice. I have to purchase the replacement 'stripe' from Nissan. Even though I was mildly re-flashing from the OC, I took the 5 minutes needed to swap out the clear bumper lights with the 50/50s. You can tell I need to drop it a little more. I still haven't found a fender roller to rent near me so I may just pay a local head to get it handled this weekend. I wish I had access to a fender roller...

I thought the Kics lug had a cool reflection on my wheel:

Next on this list: RUCA so I can do my alignment and then I need to sort out a loose belt. I'm gonna shop RUCAs, but I'm leaning towards Battle Version. I'm trying to keep the parts Japanese or American for quality purposes...but like, you know, good American quality.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:58 PM   #29
dizzariot
Post Whore!

07MAR2015

Tightened up my alternator belt so I could get rid of that shitty squeal. No more ear-piercing mornings. It's become apparent to me that I have an exhaust leak. I can't tell where it's at yet so I guess this is going to be my next area of operation. I want to get one of PBM's Cobra pipes to get my exhaust sitting a little bit higher since I'll be getting a new one. I think I need to cook up one more list of parts to order from Japan before I start focusing on keeping my engine cool and cleaning up the bay. I'm not overheating now or anything but I want to 'overdo' the cooling stuff since I'm all about longevity and reliability. Once the 'JDM-tizzight' parts are on I'll be doing mostly boring stuff.

...oh and these showed up today:

Old 03-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #30
mrturboextreme
Leaky Injector

Damn that thing is clean. This is a good change of scenery from the typical fuckery around here.