Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #241
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
What a fuckin bummer brother! Man that was the last thing I could imagine ever happening to a car that was freshly done...hell I felt sick to my stomach when I recently mis stabbed the CAS off a tooth and the car didn't run for shit...I could only imagine if I was 'your friend' that bombed the engine....damn

I wouldn't EVER use loctite on the main bolts that hold the cam gears to the cams...hell they are darn near 100ft lbs of torque as it is...

unless you're talking about on those stupid slider things, which I wouldn't ever ever ever use....they always come loose and fuck up IMO.
Cody what slider things are you talking about...now I am getting paranoid!!!!

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #242
fishboi

Trader Rating: (0)
fishboi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S13 curtis View Post
Like the tuner straight up told me, "you can pop the hood of my car and tell just by looking that there was alot of money put into it, but that means nothing if parts wern't installed correctly,I don't want to have anything to do with this car because it wasnt put togeather right, A Real friend woundnt half ass it, You can tell he didnt give a fuck because it wasnt his car."

I 100% agree with him on that.
How long have you known this friend? Personally, I would have a hard time trusting "TRUSTED" shops when it comes to engines.

Quote:
codyace;3644511]
I wouldn't EVER use loctite on the main bolts that hold the cam gears to the cams...hell they are darn near 100ft lbs of torque as it is...
Yea you are right. If torqued to the right ft lbs with a torque wrench that isn't cheap, nothing should be backing out.

Man just hearing this...makes me feel like strangling someone and im not even YOU. This is one reason why I don't build my sr. Just bought a avc-r turned up the boost to 1 bar(s14t28). Installed a SAFC, tune and done. Making 235whp. Plenty to get side ways. I rather have a motor that lasts long and is easy to repair then expansive stuff that can blow and all your money going to waste.
fishboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #243
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm sure you would have made that 430 goal, S13 curtis! I was also hoping you wouldn't break on the dyno!
I also think we might have put too much pressure on you, and made you overlook your friends work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaeth View Post
Cody what slider things are you talking about...now I am getting paranoid!!!!
The adjustable cam gear shits, they suck ass!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #244
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Yo Curtis sorry about your car....

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #245
Geno750
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
Geno750 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Geno750 Send a message via Yahoo to Geno750
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboi View Post
Man just hearing this...makes me feel like strangling someone and im not even YOU. This is one reason why I don't build my sr. Just bought a avc-r turned up the boost to 1 bar(s14t28). Installed a SAFC, tune and done. Making 235whp. Plenty to get side ways. I rather have a motor that lasts long and is easy to repair then expansive stuff that can blow and all your money going to waste.
I don't agree with this sort of thinking. Working on your own car or taking it to a reputable shop should not be something to really worry about. Building a car is nothing more than having super lego's. Just take it step by step and follow the directions and you really can't go wrong.
Geno750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #246
sulik

sulik is an unknown quantity at this point
Any news on here?
sulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #247
Weedm
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Weedm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
good question. he might still be in korea.

thanks for the tail lights curtis.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #248
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
What a fuckin bummer brother! Man that was the last thing I could imagine ever happening to a car that was freshly done...hell I felt sick to my stomach when I recently mis stabbed the CAS off a tooth and the car didn't run for shit...I could only imagine if I was 'your friend' that bombed the engine....damn

So Cody did I win this as always by default?

lol

sorry sorry

It really does suck...but so do these cars sometimes...and also...more importantly...not rushing...really really really paying attention to detail and not skimping on anything the first time really adds up...not saying hi/op did but just sayin...

In other news...we just hit 350 WHP at 1 bar on an .86 GT2871R so I would have to rescind my previous hypothesis and suggest that 400 WHP is easily capable with a good build on the motor (cough actually this was stock bottom end AGAIN) and good tuning...400 whp at 19 PSI on 91 octane will be the next goal.

ciao
Old 11-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #249
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
In other news...we just hit 350 WHP at 1 bar on an .86 GT2871R so I would have to rescind my previous hypothesis and suggest that 400 WHP is easily capable with a good build on the motor (cough actually this was stock bottom end AGAIN) and good tuning...400 whp at 19 PSI on 91 octane will be the next goal.
I think the .86 'crown' is still owned by 4x4xl with his Nistune setup.

As before, take these guys to the drags and lets get some trap speed. THen I'll determine if I should crank the boost on my .64 housing car Bragging over dynocharts is silly to say the least, you and I both know that haha. PS: 4 years and still going here. I love my JWT car

Tootles

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #250
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
hey cody just wait tell i get my gt3076 sr22 running hehe. then we can do some trap speeds
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #251
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahotuner View Post
hey cody just wait tell i get my gt3076 sr22 running hehe. then we can do some trap speeds
that's a 30, not at 28

Steve knows I love him, but until I see some trap speeds this 'dyno battle' really proves nothing other than we're both confident in our setups...there is simply to many factors, and really no 'solid' conversion factors between them all. THe only thing I can say about my dyno and car is that it was on a lighter roller, and had ZERO load. I'd love for them to get a eddy brake so I could load the turbo and really make some power.

I've never denied that a standalone based car would be capable of more power...I mean that's just common sense...my argument has always been you really can't ask for much more out of a ROM based setup than what I've done, and had others copy.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 11-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #252
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Man curtis sorry to hear that.... I might have a blown motor, and THAT makes me sick to my stomache too... Too much time blood and sweat and shit just breaks...

sigh..... oh wellz I will know more next week when I get everything together.....
Old 11-19-2010, 05:47 AM   #253
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

S13 curtis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulik View Post
Any news on here?
AEM ,tailights, fuel set up gone! thats about it

and i still have the car with the tubo set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedm View Post
good question. he might still be in korea.

thanks for the tail lights curtis.
your welcome. And yes still in korea until OCT 2011 as a matter of fact i just came back from the field about an hour ago after being gone for a week.

Quote:

As before, take these guys to the drags and lets get some trap speed. THen I'll determine if I should crank the boost on my .64 housing car Bragging over dynocharts is silly to say the least, you and I both know that haha. PS: 4 years and still going here. I love my JWT car

Tootles
+1 trap speeds tell all

Quote:
that's a 30, not at 28

Steve knows I love him, but until I see some trap speeds this 'dyno battle' really proves nothing other than we're both confident in our setups...there is simply to many factors, and really no 'solid' conversion factors between them all. THe only thing I can say about my dyno and car is that it was on a lighter roller, and had ZERO load. I'd love for them to get a eddy brake so I could load the turbo and really make some power.

I've never denied that a standalone based car would be capable of more power...I mean that's just common sense...my argument has always been you really can't ask for much more out of a ROM based setup than what I've done, and had others copy.
Not trying to flame or Bash anyone BUT

Correcy me if im wrong, you can manipulate Mustang Dynos and DynoDynamics to create more power by messing with the weight or heat index something like that or did I hear some bad intel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Man curtis sorry to hear that.... I might have a blown motor, and THAT makes me sick to my stomache too... Too much time blood and sweat and shit just breaks...

sigh..... oh wellz I will know more next week when I get everything together.....
Yea man, i was so excited when my car went on the dyno and just hearing it idle with those cams was amazing.Im going to try and find a video of it running for you guys.

It was depressing after it blew then paying alot of money.

But im not sure what im going to do with it, im either thing 90mm bore 9:0:1 or stock bore 10:5:1 E-85 thats something different also need new Engine management prolly PFC or something later on but im going to wait until icome back so I could do it MYSELF.

-Curtis
S13 curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #254
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Quote:

Tootles
The car was definitely as fast as my 440 WHP S13 when we test drove it.

But Hey CODY! NO ONE DRAG RACES ANYMORE!

Espeically in Cali...but if we get a chance to go to the ONLY 1/4 mile track we have in over 200 miles I will make sure we video taping the car taking a huge shit all over the other trap speed records...in fact...f this... I'll drive the bitch! just to make sure...haha

Ill get him back in the shop so we can break their record.

PS. I don't take any dynojet numbers seriously anyways...doesn't count
Old 11-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #255
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:
that's a 30, not at 28

Wait is this a joke?

If you load up the motor it will just effect...LOAD...i.e. how much boost you are at...it's not going to make the motor make more power...

ps. you know I <3 you too....that's why we secretly text each other all the time...sending naked pictures of each other holding imported and micro brewed beers...haha
Old 09-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #256
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Thumbs up Same set up New Owner. Attempt #2 Let's Go!!!!!

Soooo after almost a year since this threads been updated and how much interest you guys showed. Ill revive the thread, you guys shouldnt be let down this time. I also need to renew my premium membership its been so long since ive been on here lol.

I sold the car to a really really good friend of mine. He took the car apart and hes on a mission to get it back up and running so ill share since hes been giving me pics.

So the motor was then taken apart to check for damage:

After the valve cover was taken off and cam gears taken off the probblem turned out to be a FAULTY Intake cam!!!! Pics Supplied:

New valves were Ordered from enjuku, BC Stainless valves because the old valves were obviously going to be bent.

The head was pulled and the damage was not so bad, you couldnt even tell the valves were bent but we knew they were lol. I Dont have a pic of the bottom of the head. You can tell the pistons were knicked from the valves but it actually was not bad at all:

The new valves were installed, New Tomei 270 Intake Cam was ordered Fuel set up is getting re done and another AEM EMS will be installed.

Difference is this time it will be tuned on pump gas but im very sure it will reach the set goal. He will probly have a second map done later on down the road for E-85 but i assure you guys a dyno sheet will be put up when its finished . I talked to my friend and he said hes tring to have it finished in the end of OCT or Nov of this year. I come back to the states at the end of October so ill be able to help speed things up and snap some pictures for you guys.

SR
20det GTXX71R

Sips on E-85

1998 S14 Kouki

KA24de

Bone Stock......

2004 Lancer Evolution
Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 AM   #257
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Fuck, I was taking off my turbo to take off my head. Didn't realize I could just unbolt the manifold. Anyways, glad to know this thing is still going to get completed. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #258
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Wait how did he slide off the head like that with the headbolts still in place...
Old 10-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #259
codyace
Post Whore!

Sucks on the cam...wonder if the cam gear was torqued properly/installed properly from the get go

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Wait how did he slide off the head like that with the headbolts still in place...
Those are studs, not bolts

Old 10-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #260
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Update:

The new intake cam came in 270*:

Slider the car has ARP head studs so it can slide off.

My buddy got the AEM Series 2 ECU. When i had the car I bought the series 1 so this is definately an improvement.

The car should be running very soon so stay tuned.

SR
20det GTXX71R

Sips on E-85

1998 S14 Kouki

KA24de

Bone Stock......

2004 Lancer Evolution
Old 11-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #261
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Its revived. Its supposed to be tuned on monday. Heres an Idle clip, sry its a iPhone video. Enjoy

240sx 2871r, .72 ATP V44, tomei 270 Idle - YouTube

SR
20det GTXX71R

Sips on E-85

1998 S14 Kouki

KA24de

Bone Stock......

2004 Lancer Evolution
Old 11-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #262
turbociv910
Zilvia Member

turbociv910 is an unknown quantity at this point
you lap those valves when installing them?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #263
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
well lets get it on a dyno for some numbers finally
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:26 AM   #264
jonsparrow
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
jonsparrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
well i just spent an hour reading 9 pages and i still dont know how much power its making. what a story though. it was like a mini novel with a sad ending. but then there was a twist and it went into a sequel. lol
jonsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #265
slider2828
Post Whore!

LOL yeah..... Get those 20 year old coolant pipes under the manifold replaced... I made a thread in the tech section on replacing all those pipes with silicon.....
Old 11-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #266
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno750 View Post
I don't agree with this sort of thinking. Working on your own car or taking it to a reputable shop should not be something to really worry about. Building a car is nothing more than having super lego's. Just take it step by step and follow the directions and you really can't go wrong.
Sorry this is on the last page. Just wanted to quote this for truth.
I was around 17-18 (almost 19 now) and built my KA (8.6:1 comp, acl,arp, blah)
As long as you take your time and triple check everything is good and within spec, you're golden. Luckily i built my engine at my dad's friend's shop so i had help and an experienced eye to spot check.
Take your time and have everything checked/mic'd by a machine shop (oil pump, etc).
At thousands of rpms "Close enough" becomes catastrophic failure. It astounds me how some people will try and do the bare minimum when it comes to building an engine correctly. A kid locally has gone through like 3/4 KA's by trying to franken-motor a ka-t set up.
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #267
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wow, what a rollercoaster... this is almost as epic as Obeewan's adventure!

Hopefully, even though it's no in your hands anymore, your goal will be met, and you'll be able to see your hard work ($) to the end!

In for the finish
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #268
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

I was at the dyno today when it was getting tuned, I will try to get graphs up but it made 274@12psi (wastegate pressure) I didn't see the tq on that pull, 347whp 298wtq @ 15psi, 380whp 329wtq at 17psi taper to 16 at redline. He was going for 20psi and the fuel rail ended up poping off half way through the pull i seen it at 326 whp and the car wasnt even close to done with the pull, the threads were stripped so that's where it ended up for now. Keep in mind those numbers were made on a mustang dyno and on 93 oct pump gas. On a dyno jet that is defanately over 400whp.

SR
20det GTXX71R

Sips on E-85

1998 S14 Kouki

KA24de

Bone Stock......

2004 Lancer Evolution
Old 03-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #269
codyace
Post Whore!

Sounds good man! Been a long time coming for sure. At this rate, 430 may be touchable with the E-85. Good stuff.

With that said, get some slips under that car though, That should should easily trap over 120 mph with your current power! No need to race dyno's when you've got physics on your side

FWIW: YOu can't blanketly make power comparisons like that. Our 1000 lb DynoJet has been proven time and time again to make less power than the 2 other Mustang Dynos local to us, with the same cars on them. The only thing consistent about comparing dyno results is that they are inconsistent

Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #270
llteddy4playll
Zilvia Member

llteddy4playll is making his/her stupidity well-knownllteddy4playll is making his/her stupidity well-knownllteddy4playll is making his/her stupidity well-knownllteddy4playll is making his/her stupidity well-knownllteddy4playll is making his/her stupidity well-known
Just skimmed through the thread real quick but 400+ is easily achievable. I posted my dyno sheet a few years ago with my built sr with gt2871r .86, hks 272 step 2, sleeved etc etc and got 455whp and 500wtq at 22psi 93/race gas mix. Good luck with the build!
llteddy4playll is offline   Reply With Quote