Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #61
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
FloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to FloridaRacing
you can has for less than the price of a damn SR20 swap if you wanted, well not that motor, but something decent still
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #62
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
looking good man!

i'm really wanting to find a shell to dump a sbc into now.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #63
Antihero983
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Antihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Antihero983 Send a message via MSN to Antihero983
I know, lol I grew up on hot rods and muscle cars!

Hmm....I think I know where there is one....

now how do you get the gauges to work and whatnot? and what about getting the fuel pump to work with a carb?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #64
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
you can get Dakota Digital speedometer and Tachometer interface boxes.
that's what us 2JZ swap people do.

so i'm only assuming.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #65
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
is that a 350z shifter in the passenger seat?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #66
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

FloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to allFloridaRacing is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEvilRPS13 View Post
I know, lol I grew up on hot rods and muscle cars!

Hmm....I think I know where there is one....

now how do you get the gauges to work and whatnot? and what about getting the fuel pump to work with a carb?
I am not sure how the interface boxes work, so I cant be much help. I am going to look into that as I do have an electronic speed sensor in the trans. Distributor pickup will come for the RPM as per usual
Old 01-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #67
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
is that a 350z shifter in the passenger seat?
looks it, it's just a front clip
Old 01-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #68
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
You get the 510 home yet?

Why not EFI, carbs are so...........
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #69
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

nah, 510 is still in Tampa, it was so close to running when I worked on it last time I was there, hopefully in the next 2 weeks , but ive been saying that for over a year

carb - wiring takes 5 min and has a flatter AFR then most EFI cars
Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #70
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

Nearing the end of all the parts needed to get the engine in results in the near completion of the oil pan and pickup tube. The current pickup tube uses an OEM style screen and tube, some custom bent tubing, and then the press fitting for the oil pump. The tube is secured onto a man cap bolt.

The oil pan needed the back of the pan extended since this pan is originally designed for front sump oil pumps, which are very limited. The traditional rear sump pump was used and results in a taller profile. Some finish work on the metal and it will be ready for sealing up.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #71
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Trader Rating: (0)
kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How is the oil going to get out of the front sump?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #72
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

that pickup tube that is going to the front of the motor........
Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #73
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
I guess I'm looking at it backwards...

Ok I'm seeing two sumps, only one with a pickup. Correct? How do you get the oil out of the pickupless sump?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #74
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

not needed
Old 01-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #75
Rapier46
Zilvia Member

Rapier46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Rapier46
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaRacing View Post
Here is a mockup of the final engine mounts. This is how they will come, but painted of course. Mckinney has also been working on a powerglide transmission mount which is now done. Additionally, they will work on T-56, T5, and Turbo type transmissions. For now, they support the glide, TKO series, muncie, and saganaw based transmissions.

They will be working on finishing up the headers this week and hopefully have the pan and pick up tube finished next week. The pan will need to be modified in the back to support a rear sump style pump, since the pan was originally designed for front sump pumps that are shorter. There is plenty of room in the back to drop the sheet metal of the pan down.

what's with the half-car action?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #76
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

lightweight....

its a mockup 1/2 cut......
Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #77
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

Techline Coatings came by and did some stuff on the motor. All chrome pieces are black chrome, except the red valve cover breathers. The black pieces were the air cleaner, valve covers, water neck, and distributor hold down clamp.

The intake manifold is coated with a thermal reflecting coating that is also oil shedding. So it will block any incoming heat out. Also the water cross over was coated to keep the heat in the coolant line and out of the air temperature. Coating it on the bottom will keep the oil in the lifter valley from keeping oil on the bottom. Inside the intake manifold is a textured coating that keeps the intake manifold from being too smooth inside and promotes proper tumbling so a good air/fuel mixture.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #78
Antihero983
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Antihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Antihero983 Send a message via MSN to Antihero983
what transmission are you using again? i think i missed it.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #79
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
You gunna clear the stock hood or what?
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #80
VQMaxFan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
VQMaxFan is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Looks good, looks like spark plugs will be fun to change on #'s 5 and 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEvilRPS13 View Post
what transmission are you using again? i think i missed it.
tko600
VQMaxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #81
yokotas13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
yokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to yokotas13 Send a message via MSN to yokotas13 Send a message via Yahoo to yokotas13
so, is there going ot be a cmoplete swap kit?
oil pan, pickup, header and mounts available
yokotas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #82
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

yea, tko 600

clear the hood? Don't know but doubt it.

Yes there will be a complete kit available. Mount kit is done ($350 for engine and trans from Mckinney), the oil pan and pickup just got sent out to be spec'ed and mass produced, pickup tube will be one piece. Headers are also available whenever.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #83
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

Been a couple weeks since a real update. A large shipment of random parts showed up, everything from fittings to a 3200 CFM fan. There is a few more pieces to get and it will be ready to go.

The production oil pans and pickup tubes should be in mid next week. Looking to hopefully install sometime in Feb.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #84
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

looking great.

LMK when a complete kit is all done (oil pan,mounts,headers,etc.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #85
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

Came into today. These are DAMN nice pieces. The pickup tube is super thick and comes with 1st or 2nd main cap bolting options.

The pan is fully baffled and should hold 6-7 quarts and even has a drain bolt for the rear sump area

Final production engine mounts, slotted to allow for a little adjustability and triangulated for strength. That is the transmission mount for the TKO/Muncie style transmissions. Final checking will happen Monday but there shouldn't be any issues.

$450 for the pan and pickup, $350 for engine/trans mounts. They are working on a T5 and T56 trans mount.

$800 and you can BOLT IN a small block Chevy with no other modifications except for a little firewall massaging for the bell housing.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #86
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

$800 isn't too bad something to think about.

thanks for everything.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #87
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

headers will prob be in the 450-500 range
Old 01-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #88
UsJdmTUner
Zilvia Member

UsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to UsJdmTUner
how much for your motor setup and can you list the parts
UsJdmTUner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #89
victorw210
Zilvia Member

victorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choices
so once the t5 transmission mounts are done can you use any of these transmissions listed here Borg-Warner T-5 transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or am i wrong and thats something different.

and what does a tko 600 come from and how do you setup the clutch setup do you use stock clutch master cylinder and use custom tubing to the slave cylinder
victorw210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #90
FloridaRacing
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsJdmTUner View Post
how much for your motor setup and can you list the parts
Major parts to replicate, estimated costs. Though you can find SBCs cheaper

Dart SHP shortblock, all forged internals, 10:1 compression - $4000
Dart Pro 1 215cc top end kit (intake, heads, valvecovers, gaskets, bolts) - $2000
TCI rattler balancer - $300
Front sump oil pan and pickup - $450
comp cams 3 piece timing cover - $270
Comp Cams billet timing set - $100
Comp Cams 12-443-8 cam - $270
Comp Cams magnum OEM spider style Hydraulic lifters - $230
comp magnum pushrods - $100
comp magnum steel roller rockers - $285
pertronix distributor - $250
Holley 830 CFM 4150 HP NASCAR carb - $700

$9000

thats minus front drive accessories, starter, transmission, fuel pump, hosing, misc stuff.