Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #61
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellonFire View Post
No he can't.

#1 they will hit the oil squirters. And #2, I'm 99% sure it still won't come out the bottom even with those removed.

Tyler
wow massive brain fart.

Your right, i was thinking upsidedown, because i always flip the motor when i drop pistons out the top of the deck.

I think you can remove them with the oil squirters out of the way.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #62
HellonFire
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
HellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HellonFire
Haha.. I was wondering what the fuck you were smoking.

I still don't think you can take them out the bottom even with the oil squirters removed though. I'll go snap a pic of a block from above, and you can see where they wouldn't fit.

Tyler
HellonFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:57 AM   #63
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellonFire View Post
Haha.. I was wondering what the fuck you were smoking.

I still don't think you can take them out the bottom even with the oil squirters removed though. I'll go snap a pic of a block from above, and you can see where they wouldn't fit.

Tyler
Dude i know ive built several motors, im just out of it, its finals week
Old 05-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #64
HellonFire
Zilvia Addict

HellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud ofHellonFire has much to be proud of
Ok, well I already took the picture and uploaded it. I'll be damned if I did all that for nothing. So.. For BenefitX then.

You can't take them out the bottom, they won't fit.

Tyler

Old 05-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #65
benefitx
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (0)
benefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tyler reps man thanks alot...yea im gunna pull off the head , just need to run to autozone and buy a 27mm wrench and a 26 i think for the cams right?? or was it 25...ill just buy 3....oh and a crank pulley puller wrench then i can start...
benefitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #66
benefitx

benefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choicesbenefitx has made poor choices
ok...this is what i got done

Took out the cam sprockets...took out all the camshaft caps...

removed the chain tensioner and took off the cams...

removed all the rocker arms

took out the headstuds in order

stripped the head of all the washers and shims...removed the head

stripped the block down some more (motor mounts , water pump)

took off pressure plate.

Now i need to
1) take off crank pully
2) take off flywheel
3) take off oil pump
Old 05-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #67
benefitx

hey...the shims go on the right and the rocker arm guides go on the left of each valve right..
Old 05-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #68
Big Bronze Rim
Zilvia Member

Big Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by benefitx View Post
hey...the shims go on the right and the rocker arm guides go on the left of each valve right..
Thats a perfect question for the FSM... but yes the shims go on the right and the guides on the left.
Big Bronze Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #69
benefitx

yea i just saw it in the fsm 3 times...my B
Old 05-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #70
benefitx

hey tyler empty your PM box
Old 05-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #71
benefitx

what headgasket should i get?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:04 AM   #72
HellonFire
Zilvia Addict

Cometic. And emptied.

Tyler
Old 05-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #73
benefitx

ok so i pulled off the flywheel...took off the upper oil pan and the baffle plate and oil strainer...

pulled out all 4 rods and pistons...

cylinder 3 had NO rod cap bearing at all...and the bearing that it DID have looked like this (see pic 1)

the rod is bent too...its so FUBAR that the rod cap wont even go back onto the rod end

the crank is fucked...its not smooth at all , it feels like its been sanded down with 60grit..

also cylinder 1's bearings were out of shape too..

2 and 4 were the only good ones

so how do i pull out the crank now?? i know i have to take off the girdle but i have not pulled off the crank pully , i got the bolt off but the pulley is not coming off......what else do i have to take off?

Last edited by benefitx; 08-01-2007 at 08:37 PM..
Old 05-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #74
HellonFire
Zilvia Addict

You need a pulley puller to get the crank pulley off.

Then you have to take off the Rear Main Seal.

Then take out all the main studs.

Pull the girdle.

Try and get the caps off by hand, but it never works, soo..

Take two screwdrivers, one down in each hole. Grab them with one hand, and wiggle back and forth, the cap will come off.

Tyler

Last edited by HellonFire; 05-25-2007 at 01:17 PM..
Old 05-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #75
benefitx

pulled out the crank...

EVERY single main bearing had deep scratches on them, the ones that go on the caps...just deep scratches in the center of the bearing but the crank main journals looked fine...idunno... i bought a new crank anyways..
Old 05-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #76
benefitx

Just bought some ACL Dura Glide 780 bearings in STD Size because i also bought a new crank....and new rods and pistons...

so now i will need some plastigauge green, i can get this from autozone right?

and some engine assembly lube...or known as torco lube??
Old 05-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #77
benefitx

will i need to replace my headgasket as well?? i think i have a stock one on there im not sure...how would i be able to tell if mines is aftermarket or not or if it could be reused..i mean if it cant i will buy this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-N...spagenameZWD1V
Old 05-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #78
JDS Performance
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (53)
JDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by benefitx View Post
will i need to replace my headgasket as well?? i think i have a stock one on there im not sure...how would i be able to tell if mines is aftermarket or not or if it could be reused..i mean if it cant i will buy this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-N...spagenameZWD1V
To be totally honest I would never reuse a headgasket - as its is a lot to go through to replace after the motor is in the car!
I dont care if it was brand new - I would eat the $100 and save myself from a huge PITA of having to replace it later!
On the SR go Cometic!
JDS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #79
JDS Performance
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (53)
JDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
also even if you bought a new crank - you might as well take it and the block to a machice shop to make sure everything is straight and right and go aheah and pay the extra $$ to get it all balanced!

Do it right the first time even if it takes you an extra month to save up its so worth it!!!
JDS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #80
benefitx

yea im going to get the rods and crank checked...i guess the block too since its so light now
Old 05-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #81
Big Bronze Rim
Zilvia Member

Big Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the rough
Yes, you need a new HG. Either get a Cometic, or better yet, an Apex'i, but the Apex'i is almost twice the price. You will also want to have the machine shop make sure that the block and head surgaces are clean and flat, especially if you are using a MLS HG.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #82
benefitx

how much is it to have the block acid dipped and cleaned and surfaced
Old 05-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #83
benefitx

when i install the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate will i need that clutch allignment tool thing
Old 05-28-2007, 02:22 PM   #84
Big Bronze Rim
Zilvia Member

It can be done without it, but its so much easier when you have one. As a recommendation you will probably want to replace your clutch(at least the disc) while you have everything apart. Its so much easier to put a clutch in when its not in the car.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:02 PM   #85
benefitx

my clutch is good...nice and stiff when the car ran...its a stage 2 , the clutch looks like it has plenty of life still on it..
Old 05-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #86
benefitx

heres a couple pics

the bare block

my new rods/pistons and crank
Old 05-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #87
NebSR

NebSR is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey benefitx, keep the pictures and info comming mate! This stuff is like dirty magazines for motor enthusiasts. I'm doing a DE+t with my SR20DE. Which will get me better response and hp per psi Because of the DE being a 10:1 comp ratio i Think. Don't quote.

But yeah, i'm thinking about doing a rebuild also, so this stuff would come in handy as i've never done a rebuild before and it's good to see what it's like to do first time round. Especially with all the little things people forget to tell you about. Looking good so far, keep us posted!
Old 05-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #88
TUnity2
Zilvia Junkie

TUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of light
ill be pulling my SR and doing the same thing this week.
this thread should be a decent help since it's my first time into the depths of a bottom end.

man that soudned gay.
TUnity2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #89
benefitx

read my other thread. its called "Write up to strip an engine" step by step on how to tear down an engine to a bare block...when i start assembling the engine ill be taking pics of every thing.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #90
benefitx

its actually right here

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=144926