Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
junks13

Trader Rating: (0)
junks13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA pick up a few more tenths in the ka

i took my bone stock s14 to the track last night and ran 15.6700@85mph i just spent over my budget geting my car road wothy and painted and i plan on going turbo but i want to do it right so thats going be a while so whats a few cheap mods i could do to lower my times aliitle bit. Now i lied in the begining i have a 248in/232ex cam setup which totally changed my powerband (for the better) and ahollow cat, and hpracing muffler thats it i was wondering roughlyhow much cai and 4-1 header would help and i know i should just save up for the turbo but id just like to play around at the track alittle all suggestions welcome.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
if you're looking to have a fast drag racer, sell your 240 and get a 5.0 mustang.
They're WAY cheaper to make fast.
For what it'll cost to get your car to the 12s, you could have a Mustang into the 10s.

edit: $5k and you're set.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
yea S13's and z32s are terrible drag cars. The rear subframes tend to jump arround WAY to much and give you massive wheel hop.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
The secret is to have nawz and diamond plate floor mats.

Shhh! don't tell anyone
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Old 05-21-2006, 01:38 AM   #6
Jung918
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Jung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I need 2 bottles. By tonight!
Jung918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 01:40 AM   #7
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Get a Biki Rom, tune your ecu yourself. It's under $300. That will get you a few more tenths in the 1/4mile, you will need it anyway when you turbo to change fuel and ignition maps......
BigVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:05 AM   #8
gearhead290
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
gearhead290 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gearhead290 Send a message via MSN to gearhead290
buy an ebay intake, put an K&N filter on it (~$60), then get a 3" exhaust.
gearhead290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:15 AM   #9
m0rex
Zilvia FREAK!

m0rex is on a distinguished road
Booost it. Theres cars out there you can make fast in a straight line for cheap. But 240sx are fun when you make them handle good and go fast.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:22 AM   #10
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVinnie
Get a Biki Rom, tune your ecu yourself. It's under $300. That will get you a few more tenths in the 1/4mile, you will need it anyway when you turbo to change fuel and ignition maps......
I've been looking more and more into ecu tuning too. I think ecu tuning is where it's at as well....
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #11
Realchaos1
Zilvia Member

Realchaos1 is a well-known jackass
Send a message via MSN to Realchaos1
Get 370cc injectors, then get an SAFCII ;] Advance the timing a lil
Realchaos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:27 AM   #12
tre
Zilvia Junkie

tre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enough
15.6 on a stock setup would be considered impressive.

Considering a stock s13 can't break into the 15's ( to my knowledge )

My friend hit a 15.6 with his Intake/cat back s13

I personally hit a 14.9 I'm betting I can drop it down to 14.7 or 14.6 with a few more tweaks.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #13
tre
Zilvia Junkie

tre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enough
14.963 @ 93.12*

Better shift points/launch alone would probably drop me to a 14.7. I hate 240k vlsds. Almost no better than an open diff lol.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #14
junks13

first of all buying a mustang is out of the question i hate mustangs . tre what do you have done to yours t0 hit 14s
Old 05-22-2006, 03:20 PM   #15
tre
Zilvia Junkie

Um. well here's my list of mods. Tune it to yourself (i'll display my tune, doesn't mean it'll work with yours)

AEM Intake (for now)
Greddy 4 to 1 header 2.5" all the way back, gutted cat
Fully Advanced Ignition Timing
JWT Cam Sprockets.
5degree retard Intake
7.5 degree retard Exhaust.
SAFC-II -11% Fuel Curve(after 4000rpm)

Things I plan on doing:
RAM air induction with z32 MAF
Locked Differential
LightWeight Flywheel
Better Clutch
Exhuast Cam on Intake side.
Maybe retard the cams a bit more. (IF i can accomplish the revs to 8k)

Remember this is my Drift Bitch. I do drags for shits n giggles lol
Old 05-22-2006, 05:05 PM   #16
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
Fully Advanced Ignition Timing
SAFC-II -11% Fuel Curve(after 4000rpm)
Tre you are going to need to explain to me how you came up with -11% After 4000rpm, or why you would even want to run it that negative in that high of an RPM.......Also why would you advance timing without an ecu tune?
Just as a reminder when you use the SAFC to set a signal from MAF to ecu that the distributor should be set at all times at 20BTDC, your running NA, not FI.
Advancing the distributor more than 8 degress sets detonation and it isn't even recomended to advance the KA's timing past 3degress of 20 BTDC for a total of 23BTDC. Advancing the timing doesn't do anything accept increase HC levels, actually decreasing power, running the KA at -11% on the SAFC has decreased your fuel dumping and shortened the pulse width, why would you do that, the KA already runs stoich a little before 5600RPM? I can understand running a -2% at early RPM's like between 1500~3500RPM.
The way you have expressed it to me your na engine should of blown up from detonation, I am calling BULL SHIT......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
JWT Cam Sprockets.
5degree retard Intake
7.5 degree retard Exhaust.
Again I am calling BULL SHIT when I see it. First off retarding the exaust cam 7.5 degress is retarded, for reasons I won't express to you because obviously you know nothing about math or even come close to understanding engineering...Secondly JWT adjustable sprockets only retard/advance 3 degress either way, and there is a good reason for it. So you defenitely didn't retard the intake 5 degress either.
You also didn't do an ecu tune which in no way the SAFC can account for, the actual MAPS of your ECU need to be reconfigured.
So with all this B.S non relative fiction I would say you run a 16.00flat in the 1/4mile, NO BULL shit.
Here's the link to the JWT web site!!!!!!!
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/customer_results.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
14.963 @ 93.12*

Better shift points/launch alone would probably drop me to a 14.7. I hate 240k vlsds. Almost no better than an open diff lol.
You have no clue what posi traction or limited slip do. Just to answer it for you it should increase 1/4mile time since grip is applied to both wheels instead of one...
This is one of the reasons why oldschool Datsun720 truck owners weld there open diffs for track use. I happen to be one of them...
I also wouldn't be surprised if you just took that 1/4 mile time from a stock sr20det since that is exactly what it is...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
Considering a stock s13 can't break into the 15's ( to my knowledge )
Uhh last year I hit a 15.3. This year an added ecu tune should set me at a 15flat or BETTER...........I have an s13, if you couldn't figure, and s13's have a lighter chassis nut case.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
Remember this is my Drift Bitch. I do drags for shits n giggles lol

Oh yeah, I'm laughin at how FAKE you really are....

I HATE FUCKIN LIARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 05:55 PM   #17
junks13

listen i dont know much about tuning im more mechanicly inclined i know what it take to make an engine run better but when it comes to computers im bum fuzzled. How much would a cai and cheap header pic me up roughly and for the guy that suggested i get a mustang id rather run a 15.00 in my s14 than a 13.00 in a mustang because any moron with a little money can make a v8 run but i like a challenge
Old 05-22-2006, 06:06 PM   #18
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junks13
listen i dont know much about tuning im more mechanicly inclined i know what it take to make an engine run better but when it comes to computers im bum fuzzled. How much would a cai and cheap header pic me up roughly and for the guy that suggested i get a mustang id rather run a 15.00 in my s14 than a 13.00 in a mustang because any moron with a little money can make a v8 run but i like a challenge
Get a OBX header if your cheap, or a DC sports if you want top notch power and quality.
TB coolant bypass is a free mod, but that is like a fraction of a donkey, it just keeps air cooler. If you have a federal issued ecu, you can do the EGR block off, it wont throw any codes on the FED ecu's and it makes the engine alot more jumpy since your engine wont consume hot exhaust gasses to replace air.
High flow cats are a must have and do the job.
You will need an ecu tune to get a flat 15 or better in the 1/4mile with those modifications...
P.S don't take advice from TRE he really knows nothing...
Old 05-22-2006, 06:15 PM   #19
tre
Zilvia Junkie

Bigvinnie is obvious you've never tweaked an n/a ka with those statements made.

Its picture time now. And trust met heres quite a few people from WA on here who can vouch for me.

Brb taking pictures mucho <3
Old 05-22-2006, 06:18 PM   #20
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

HAHAHA bring on the picture show LIAR!!!!!! Bring on the PHOTO SHOP!!!!LOL
I've tuned KA's before you were born man, your full of dog poo......
Old 05-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #21
ryan hagen
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
ryan hagen is making a name for him/her selfryan hagen is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
"RAM air induction with z32 MAF"

your car will run like shit, nissan mafs have a really hard time metering air that is rammed into them. sport compact car project 300zx is writen proof. on my ka when i did a cai in my fender well air from through the "brake duct" was directly ramming into the filter and my maf couldnt read it, it spit and sputtered and ran like ass abouve 25mph, i put a blocker in front of it then it ran great.

1990 hatch ka24de gt2871r
ryan hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:29 PM   #22
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
Bigvinnie is obvious you've never tweaked an n/a ka with those statements made.

Its picture time now. And trust met heres quite a few people from WA on here who can vouch for me.

Brb taking pictures mucho <3
You got pwned buddy.

You would have posted pics with this post if you had them.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:53 PM   #23
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
^BIG VINNIE FTW!!! That tear down of his life was awsome!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:41 PM   #24
tre
Zilvia Junkie

Upload pictures ^_^ hold on.

Oh btw i wonder why a company in florida puts z32 mafs on their sr's with no problem with an SAFC-II... hmm must be the "correction factor" they have
Old 05-22-2006, 07:42 PM   #25
tre
Zilvia Junkie

oh yeah i dont even have photoshop so don't even cross that line
Old 05-22-2006, 08:02 PM   #26
tre
Zilvia Junkie

and two small vids from my FIRST time at the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blOSg-lDuCk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmBVdR5r24s

Those are a few pics of what i have.

For you not to hit a 14.9 and be tuning for so long is either:
A: you suck a tuning
B: you suck at driving

please choose one or the other, or maybe both?
Old 05-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #27
S14DB
AFC #1

Old 05-22-2006, 08:14 PM   #28
tre
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB
You posted early ^_^
Old 05-22-2006, 08:15 PM   #29
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
Upload pictures ^_^ hold on.

Oh btw i wonder why a company in florida puts z32 mafs on their sr's with no problem with an SAFC-II... hmm must be the "correction factor" they have
Z32's are put onto sr's because they can be used for a wider pulse width 370cc injection and above......
The stock KA MAF accepts upto 250HP on 330~370cc injection. Using a z32 MAF on an NA KA is not needed.......
Old 05-22-2006, 08:20 PM   #30
tre
Zilvia Junkie

choke point on my induction = MAF

If i can make it work. i'm going to do it.

If not i'll save up for ITB's