Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
muffin head

Trader Rating: (0)
muffin head is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ls s14 transmission help

so i just picked up an s14 with a full ls swap kit a few weeks ago (stand alone ECU and all) and i have decided that i wanted to go with a chevy 5.3 because I'm going to boost the living shit out of this car! but i have had a problem finding a t56 transmission for under 1k! is there any other trans i can use other than the t56 so i can put more of that money in to building a trans to hold up and that will work with my t56 mounting brackets?
muffin head is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #2
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Hate to tell yeah but if you are going to boost a 5.3 even a T56 will likely need reinforcement so $1k is the least of your worries. Finding a T56 for under $1500 these days is rare indeed.

But to answer your question look at the CD009 conversions as well. It will not work with your T56 Trans bracket without mods. Not a cheap option but it's another for ya. GL
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
nick Ritter
Leaky Injector

nick Ritter is an unknown quantity at this point
how much power do you plan to make ?? don't mean to burst your bubble but the t56 is the best option IMO ,its fairly strong from the factory …. i had my stock t56 in my 02 SS making 471rwhp with a twin disk and some street slicks out back and it held that power (3300lb car)…..however the only other trans that i know of that might work is the 4L60E and those can go for as low as 500 bucks thats also an automatic …. and they don't hold shit for power compared to the t56 from the factory they also have the 4L80E but those cost a lot more and are larger …..try looking at a t56 magnum ….go over to ls1tech.com and take a peek and see what they are selling there, they always have great deals over there.

cheers !
nick Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:20 AM   #4
Memberofthe600hpkaclub
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
Memberofthe600hpkaclub is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
If your boosting on a budget like that 4l80e is your only option to hold power

Magnum t56 out of a later gto or ctsv is a little stronger but go for around 1500
Memberofthe600hpkaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:32 AM   #5
nick Ritter
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memberofthe600hpkaclub View Post
If your boosting on a budget like that 4l80e is your only option to hold power
or the 700R4 or turbo 350….. he's got a lot of options there but its sounding like he wants to stay manual, T56 is the was to go ! the borg warner T5 world class will also work with some mods to it but those are not as good as a t56

you should really post this up on ls1tech !
Old 01-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #6
venom2034
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
venom2034 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i picked up my 02 t56 for $1500 over the summer and considered that a deal. Idk who told you to get one for under $1000.
venom2034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
zeitgeist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (21)
zeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Stay away from a t5.

If you're woried about dropping more than a grand for a t56 you should probably not plan on your build working out too well

gotta pay to play
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:13 AM   #8
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You plan to boost chevy 5.3 and you are bitching about price of t56. Everything is going to cost a lot more than t56 even the clutch for t56. Damn you are stupid.. Just enjoy what you got and don't touch anything... Just check the fluid everyday before you drive.
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
nick Ritter
Leaky Injector

i see them selling for 1700- 2100 locally all the time … i don't even think you can get a fucked up one for under a grand ! i was just letting him kno his options since the T5 is a option it is a poor one ….. just get the t56 if you don't plan on not going past 500+ hp i bet you it will be fine the rear end will go before the trans will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memberofthe600hpkaclub View Post
Magnum t56 out of a later gto or ctsv is a little stronger but go for around 1500
i wanna know where you're finding these deals lol !!!
Old 01-02-2015, 08:39 AM   #10
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
For a boosted 5.3 you will need some cash as noted above. I am currently working on the same and decided to buy a Tick Level 3 which should match my goals but look up the cost to give you an idea. If you want a strong stock GM Trans the Tremec 6060 is a good option but costly once again. As they said your clutch alone for a "boosted the shit out of" 5.3 will be in or above the $1k range. Keep that in mind plus the cost of tuning, turbo, labor etc and it's a costly budget.

Btw many 5.3 turbo builds on low boost and pump exceed 550whp not to mention the insane torque. It's going to cost to play in the boosted GM world my friend. A stock GTO/fbody t56 will likely not last long at those levels unless you are lucky as hell.

Lol same where the fuck are you guys finding these deals.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #11
nick Ritter
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
For a boosted 5.3 you will need some cash as noted above. I am currently working on the same and decided to buy a Tick Level 3 which should match my goals but look up the cost to give you an idea. If you want a strong stock GM Trans the Tremec 6060 is a good option but costly once again. As they said your clutch alone for a "boosted the shit out of" 5.3 will be in or above the $1k range. Keep that in mind plus the cost of tuning, turbo, labor etc and it's a costly budget.

Lol same where the fuck are you guys finding these deals.
i totally forgot about the TKO's !!!!!! a stock t56 will work if you don't shift gears like an asshole its all about how you deliver the power just be easy on shifts !

yes and there are 2 types of the T56 the lt1's and ls1's they might be looking at the lt1's but that will not work with the lsx with out some pretty big changes ……..thats why they might see them for under a grand …. thats my guess

lol this poor guy is getting flamed ! we shouldn't be calling him stupid ! that isn't encouragement !
Old 01-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #12
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
But to answer your question look at the CD009 conversions as well. It will not work with your T56 Trans bracket without mods. Not a cheap option but it's another for ya. GL
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...009-trans.html
Old 01-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #13
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
You're going to have to pay more than $1000 if you plan on it lasting longer than the break in period. Might as well buy a broke one. I bought a "good" one on CL for $1000. When it got taken apart found out 2cd, 3rd, 5th, and reverse were toast. Shipped it off to Texas drivetrain performance and paid $2400 after shipping to replace the gears + stage 2 rebuild. (see there website for what a stage 2 rebuild includes)

In my search I found a magnum t56 freshly built for $3100 with a 1yr warranty, but I would have had to spend more $ to make it fit since my kit was for an fbody t56.

So you go auto, have to spend time+money making it fit since the kit was designed for a t56. + auto trans controller and all that crap.(unless you want auto, then more power to you)
Or you go with a cheap non Fbody t56 and have to pay some money to change parts to make it compatible.
or you buy the right thing the first time and rebuild it before install.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #14
laurentj23
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
laurentj23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
You're going to have to pay more than $1000 if you plan on it lasting longer than the break in period. Might as well buy a broke one. I bought a "good" one on CL for $1000. When it got taken apart found out 2cd, 3rd, 5th, and reverse were toast. Shipped it off to Texas drivetrain performance and paid $2400 after shipping to replace the gears + stage 2 rebuild. (see there website for what a stage 2 rebuild includes)

In my search I found a magnum t56 freshly built for $3100 with a 1yr warranty, but I would have had to spend more $ to make it fit since my kit was for an fbody t56.

So you go auto, have to spend time+money making it fit since the kit was designed for a t56. + auto trans controller and all that crap.(unless you want auto, then more power to you)
Or you go with a cheap non Fbody t56 and have to pay some money to change parts to make it compatible.
or you buy the right thing the first time and rebuild it before install.
Get one from TDSP or a viper spec t56. Do it right the first time!

'Born Ready!',LJ
laurentj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #15
csramotorsports
Leaky Injector

csramotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point
muffin head lol....got that right.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:28 PM   #16
nick Ritter
Leaky Injector