Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
luxatearna

Trader Rating: (0)
luxatearna is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 Ka24E problem

I have an 89 s13. Yesterday, I checked the oil and coolant level. There was no coolant in the radiator or reservoir, so I filled up the reservoir half way, and filled up the radiator a little. I took it for a drive and it ran fine. The car died when I put it in neutral and pressed the brake to stop at a stop sign. I had trouble starting it up again. When I actually got it started, it was idling extremely rough, at around 200-400 rpm. I had no choice but to drive it home like that or I'd be stuck. The gas pedal almost felt somewhat unresponsive, or late. The car almost over heated. Got to the line before H. I park the car and check under the hood. There's no coolant in the reservoir and the oil is milky. As if coolant had infiltrated the engine. I checked the radiator this morning and there was no coolant in it. I started the car also, it started, but idled very rough and 400-500 rpm, make all sorts of loud noises. It also spewed out a bunch of white smoke when I revved it a little.
luxatearna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
GroundPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Sounds like a bad HG to me.. its also common for the KA24E to have the chain tensioner rub its way to the front cover and to the coolant passage way which causes the coolant to mix with oil.
GroundPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
luxatearna

That makes a lot of sense. I took off the valve cover and saw a huge mess. Creamy textured stuff all over the place. And I noticed that the timing chain was extremely loose. You think it was the tensioner? Wasn't there a recall for the tensioner?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:16 AM   #4
iveexcaped3
Zilvia Addict

iveexcaped3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Head gasket fer sure if its milky. Do the timing chain anyway since your gonna be 3/4 the way there
iveexcaped3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxatearna View Post
That makes a lot of sense. I took off the valve cover and saw a huge mess. Creamy textured stuff all over the place. And I noticed that the timing chain was extremely loose. You think it was the tensioner? Wasn't there a recall for the tensioner?
I'd do a compression check first to help eliminate HG as the issue. If it passes then check the front cover and chain tensioner for the crack. If compression check failed then you will need both parts anyways for the rebuild or find another motor swap in. GL!
Old 07-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
iveexcaped3
Zilvia Addict

iveexcaped3 is an unknown quantity at this point
The front cover doesn't have any coolant passages just oil.
iveexcaped3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveexcaped3 View Post
The front cover doesn't have any coolant passages just oil.
LOL... Last I check water pump is installed on the front cover for all KA so if installed there where else should it pass water. You sir are confusing it for an SR.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
essforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Head Gasket! Trust me i know from experiance! IF there is any mixture between oil and water the head gasket is almost always the problem!
A compression test wont always tell you symptoms of a gasket leak unless there is combustion gas going into the water passages!
Go rent a tester and check the cooling system if it leaks then you know head gasket!
Search: radiator cap tester | Cooling System Test Kit | AutoZone.com
essforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
luxatearna

Alright cool. I'll try it, thanks.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
DataXUnknown
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (30)
DataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
When you do a HG it's a good idea to do the timing chain, main seal, and water pump since you have decent access to it and it will most likely need it anyway assuming you haven't done it already
DataXUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote