Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat > LOUD NOISES

LOUD NOISES A place for political mudslinging, Pro/Anti legalization, gay marriage debate, Gun control rants, etc. If it's political, controversial, or hotly debated, it goes here. No regular Off-Topic stuff allowed. READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Old 09-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #31
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post
Steelworkers complained that Chinese imports were pushing U.S. workers out of jobs.
So they are complaining about this what about all the call centers. All the big companys in the US outsource there call centers to oversea places. Every fucking thing is outsource. The last article I was reading was talking about 5 big tire plants in the US closed down while only one new one opened. Obama is adding this tax to bring more money to the US but it is not bring anymore jobs to the US and thats what this country needs is jobs that tax money does not help me.
S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #32
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger240 View Post
to all the people here saying "fuck that, do that to china" and dumb crap like that

just scroll through this

Bloomberg.com: Search News - [ tire]

the headlines alone are reason enough to educated your ignorant ass why protectionism ruins economies and how its an unbelievably ignorant thing to do.

please try to come up with adequate counters, i'd love to laugh at them.
I agree there, BUT that is also another 'can of worms'.
Depends on whether or not you believe in removing international trade barriers as a whole.
(I'm all for it, but you have to understand not everyone here will given the obvious political leanings)

Personally I'd rather see Obama work on reducing trade barriers foreign countries have on us.
That would most certainly increase the likelihood that more US goods/services are imported.
As one of the most powerful markets and wto members,
I'm confident we have enough influence to do just this.

Imposing tariffs on foreign countries isn't going to do squat,
other than perhaps win over some union votes when election time comes along.

Even if the Obama admin had to create publicity,
they could have done so against the interests of a less influential power.
(i.e. Clinton imposing Tariff on Japanese car parts, Bush on German steel).
It's one thing to play with petty politics (everyone does it).
It's quite another to be strategic about it.

I just hope this isn't an ongoing trend.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #33
SexPanda
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
Quote:
whats that? You think Uncle Barack would really hurt the economy to win over votes in 3 years? NO FREAKIN WAY!

Now, if you'll excuse me, Im practicing waiting in line for hours to get basic medical care, and brushing up on my spanish.
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #34
Ralliart4
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Ralliart4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexPanda View Post
Eh, whatever. Its not like the tires I buy are super expensive anyhow. But I only see this putting stress on China-US relations. You know, you want Americans to keep their jobs and not have them outsourced? How about cut the rediculously high wages the unions demand? If a company wasn't paying a union employee 70 dollars an hour to push a button for 8 hours with a 2 hour lunch, then I'm sure that job would still be in America, instead of where ever.
Ding ding you hit the nail on the head there brother... thats the shizz that killed us. We are not in the 1930's where the 'MAN' was screwing every hard worker out there because they needed a job. The unions are killing industry and industry is what made america so great in the first place.
Ralliart4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #35
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexPanda View Post
whats that? You think Uncle Barack would really hurt the economy to win over votes in 3 years? NO FREAKIN WAY!

Now, if you'll excuse me, Im practicing waiting in line for hours to get basic medical care, and brushing up on my spanish.
Well Obama is acting in accord to the US steelworkers (or whatever they're called) union's request to impose a tariff on tire companies.
If that isn't appeasing unions, I don't know what is.
We can only speculate other possible motives (which is what threads like this are for, imo).

Yeah, I will agree with you it isn't the best for the economy to do this.
But Obama, the unions, & his worshippers may see otherwise.
Even US tire manufacturers like Goodyear & Cooper are either ambivelent or against this tariff.
US owned companies have factories in China too.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #36
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart4 View Post
Ding ding you hit the nail on the head there brother... thats the shizz that killed us. We are not in the 1930's where the 'MAN' was screwing every hard worker out there because they needed a job. The unions are killing industry and industry is what made america so great in the first place.
I don't buy that.
There are a LOT more factors as to why its 'generally' not cost effective to have your factories in the US.

Say hypothetically unions in the US ceased to exist.
Factory workers will still be working at minimum wage.
it's still not competitive considering other countries are operating at far lower overhead for labor costs.

A worker in China/India/Mexico might earn that $8 (if not less) in a whole day.
How do you realistically compete?

Hell, even if you match wages of US workers with foreign workers,
you still have to deal with stringent labor laws, high business insurance, higher non-labor overhead, risk of expensive lawsuits, etc.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #37
SexPanda
Post Whore!

SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
Still, when someone is getting payed 4 times more than someone else doing the same job because of the Teamsters or whatever... It just doesn't make sense.

But I am not a pro-union guy. Fucking teachers unions especially, with their damn tenure shit. I had the worst fucking teachers in the world, who only had their jobs because they had tenure.
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #38
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

At the ead of the day and all use Americans are going to have less jobs every day because of outsourcing its really sad what this world is coming to.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #39
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Guess we get to burn less tires ?
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #40
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_style View Post
Guess we get to burn less tires ?
lol yeah but dont worry we have other ways of killing our ozone layer .
Old 09-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #41
ranger240
Zilvia Addict

ranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:

Imposing tariffs on foreign countries isn't going to do squat,

Even if the Obama admin had to create publicity,
they could have done so against the interests of a less influential power.
(i.e. Clinton imposing Tariff on Japanese car parts, Bush on German steel).
It's one thing to play with petty politics (everyone does it).
It's quite another to be strategic about it.

I just hope this isn't an ongoing trend.

U.S. Steel Files Complaint Against Chinese Steel Pipe (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

Quote:
U.S. Steel Files Complaint Against Chinese Steel Pipe (Update2)

By Mark Drajem

Sept. 16 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. Steel Corp. asked the U.S. Commerce Department to impose dumping and anti-subsidy duties of as much as 90 percent on some steel pipe imports from China, five days after the Obama administration set tariffs on Chinese tires.

The petition was filed today with the U.S. International Trade Commission against $400 million in imports of pipes used in chemical, petrochemical, refineries and related operations, according to Roger Schagrin, a lawyer for the U.S. producers. The U.S. imposed tariffs this month on a different type of steel pipe from China in a separate case.

Analysts in recent days have said that Obama’s decision to impose safeguard duties on Chinese tires might encourage more industries to seek penalties against overseas rivals.
sorry mr. mcdon, the 'wah wah we need protectionism' trend appears to be ramping up into full swing.

its called 'moral hazard', no one in D.C. knows what that means anymore

Last edited by ranger240; 09-16-2009 at 09:06 PM..
ranger240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #42
Chad4061
Zilvia Member

Chad4061 is an unknown quantity at this point
is nexens apart of this too...I thought they were in korea i believe
Chad4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #43
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

If they have factories in China, then yes they'll be effected.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #44
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
In my opinion, this is more about sending a message that US is finally getting over its eight years of paranoia and isolationism, and is not afraid to play on the same level as everyone else.
You guys know that China just straight refuses to import a huge amount of American products, right? America, who is their biggest customer, has been a complete pushover as far as trade goes.
US will never produce something as cheap is it can be made somewhere else. Saving a measly few thousands factory jobs makes almost no difference in the big picture. The US is mostly a service economy anyway. However, convincing China, among other countries, to import American products, now that would be huge. Think how big of a market just China itself is. America has been trying to go about it the pleading softie way, but that does not work on China.

Last edited by Matej; 09-21-2009 at 04:52 PM..
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #45
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by articdragon192 View Post
Hard parking a car is a waste of a chassis. And road racing and the such wastes tires as well, not only drifting. Crappy. I hope Federal, which are Taiwanese, don't get the same tax. The RS-R is an awesome grippy tire.
so if you own a model t, you should drift it. because hard parking a model t is a waste of a chasis.....

i don't understand what's so difficult about "to each their own"

I don't think tires should get taxed. we should pay off this debt instead of taxing more and more shit to start new programs that do nothing but fail.

This healthcare plan is bs. You ever have fun at the DMV? ever get such an amazing customer experience at the DMV that you leave smiling?

Well, just wait till healthcare is ran by the same people who run the dmv.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote