Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #31
Drifting-pedobear
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Drifting-pedobear is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
anyone have a write up/ wana help me out with flipping the shit for us LHD BROS?
ive been DTMing for about an hour now, flipping this and that, theorizing different cuts and such, but i dont want to start cutting my shit up only to find out i could have done it another way...

some one point me in the direction of a write up or PM me and show me how to do it.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #32
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting-pedobear View Post
anyone have a write up/ wana help me out with flipping the shit for us LHD BROS?
ive been DTMing for about an hour now, flipping this and that, theorizing different cuts and such, but i dont want to start cutting my shit up only to find out i could have done it another way...

some one point me in the direction of a write up or PM me and show me how to do it.
from what it looks like, if you flip it it'll have a gap. Wait till ProjectRDM is off pinking and then pm him, maybe he can help.

Just be patient my dude
Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #33
blksylv
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
blksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
sorry to bump an old thread but im interested in how much trimming is necessary before i start cutting and has anyone got the boost gauge to work on it yet?
there is nothing wrong with enjoying the build. however, we sometimes have to remind ourselves that the build is only one part of the puzzle, and that ultimately - enjoying and driving the car is the number one priority.
blksylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:20 AM   #34
s14canyoncity
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
s14canyoncity is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
What trimming are you referring to? This is a straight drop in under the radio, just remove the din pocket.

Last time i had this installed in my 14 i never got the boost to work, i was told you need a specific boost solenoid/ controller. But if any one out there can correct me on that please do.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #35
blksylv
Nissanaholic!

blksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymore
trimming the actual cover so you can flip it so its facing the us drivers side, its not really a big deal ill prolly just install as is honestly
there is nothing wrong with enjoying the build. however, we sometimes have to remind ourselves that the build is only one part of the puzzle, and that ultimately - enjoying and driving the car is the number one priority.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #36
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
rbpwrd240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Just wondering if anyone ever got the boost gauge to work, would the part I need come with an S14 kouki swap or front clip? Anyone wana give me more input on how to trim the panel after you flip it for left hand drive so there isnt that gap?

Thanks
Alex R.
rbpwrd240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #37
s13_Angelo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
s13_Angelo has a spectacular aura abouts13_Angelo has a spectacular aura abouts13_Angelo has a spectacular aura abouts13_Angelo has a spectacular aura abouts13_Angelo has a spectacular aura abouts13_Angelo has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Instead of the z32 oil sensor can i just use an aftermarket one ?
s13_Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #38
s14gmo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
s14gmo will become famous soon enoughs14gmo will become famous soon enoughs14gmo will become famous soon enoughs14gmo will become famous soon enoughs14gmo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
anyone know the bulb size for the s14 din gauges?
s14gmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #39
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

I love this guys, Im glad everyone is interested in this thread. Lets keep using this as an open discussion on the instal, imagine the info we could gather here.

Anyone ever figure out the following:
Trimming the plastic trim for a flip for us USA drivers.
What boost solenoid works with this setup? Iv heard only the boost selonoid from a same year and make kouki.
What size light bulbs fit the DIN?

Thanks
Alex R.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #40
blksylv
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14gmo View Post

24 iirc, just put leds in mine. you do need a boost sensor from a kouki s14. as far as trimming the plastic i can't really remember. i did mines sometime last year
Old 11-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #41
paciokko

paciokko is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by opex View Post
hello from russia, my name is Petr,I have bought sub-meter r32

volt, oil temp, boost, with panel of the problems no, but here is what connect boost sensor I do not know beside it 3 wires, +, ground, signal, prompt what must be pin beside boost sensor + must be 12v or 5?
scheme

Thanks
hello friend. the boost sensor in the sky r32, r33 is the same as the nissan 300zx.
the supply voltage of the sensor is 12volt.
paciokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #42
paciokko

oil pressure sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13_Angelo View Post
Instead of the z32 oil sensor can i just use an aftermarket one ?
friend would be recommended to install the sensor 300zx.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #43
paciokko

dash lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14gmo View Post
bulbs for the dash are these

B8.5d
Old 05-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #44
Arkitech

Arkitech is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Oil Pressure Sender Ground

Yes, and hello to you kind sir's. . .

Hold the bottom of the sending unit towards you so the plug part looks like an oddly shaped or fat "T", the prong on your left is the hot lead that you want to run to the gauges. The prong on your right is dead and has no use . . .

You don't have to ground the right prong on the oil pressure sender. It is an unnecessary step. If you look on the Z32 harness, there is only one wire leading the the sending units plug. The other slot on the plug is blank (just plastic). Therefore there is no need to ground it.

Also, there are three T4 bulbs that illuminate the triple gauge cluster for whoever was asking.

Respect
Arkitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #45
Arkitech

Arkitech is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkitech View Post

Also, there are three T4 bulbs that illuminate the triple gauge cluster for whoever was asking.

Respect
Correction, there are three T5 bulbs.
Arkitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #46
jerry_beans
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (27)
jerry_beans is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzytony View Post
uh i did find a matching plug and i re-pinned it, i was just doing the write up for people without it. and if you read closely it includes the OE plug wiring. but whatever. and i trust wire nuts in my house. i just dont have a cordless soldering iron. so whatever. shet cant we 240 guys just get along?
My quoted signature say it all bud! Looks good in my opinion!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #47
DriftReddy
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
DriftReddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
If u guys want I can post pics that I take later today on how to trim the plastic, it took me 10mins with a plastic knife (don't laugh I was in the barracks on deployment and was VERY BORED!!!), I'm going to also contact Nissan about the boost selenoid today...
DriftReddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #48
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Don't Ground the Oil Pressure Sending Unit

So, I have a 98 Kouki front clip and both pins of the oil pressure sending unit are used. The Z32 has the same sending unit and only uses one pin because there is an actual oil pressure gauge in the 300ZX gauge cluster.

Here's the wire colors on my 98 SR20DET

Yellow/Blue Stripe = Stock dummy light switch for gauge cluster
Yellow/Red Stripe = "Variable Ground" for the oil pressure Gauge

In other words, the sending unit grounds through the engine and there is no reason to ground one of the pins.

I've attached a pic of the sending unit and what the pins are for.

Now if someone could post pics, or instructions on what to trim to flip the gauge cover, that would be great.
Attached Images
File Type: png kouki-oil-pressure-unit.png (435.8 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by LoSt180; 09-03-2019 at 02:06 PM..
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #49
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzytony View Post
Ok now to get started, these are the colors on the harness according to R240NA aka RDM
Black W/Silver Dots-Ground(GND)
Green-Ignition(IGN)
Black-Illumination Dimmer(Ill+)
Red/Blue-Illumination(ILL)
Yellow/Red- Oil Pressure(OTM)
Black/Pink-Boost(Boost)
I just wanted to provide an update to this wiring. If you have the harness, as well as the pigtail on the 6-pin connector side, the pinout/wiring is as follows:

1 - Black w/ pink-ish dots - Illumination Dimmer
2 - Red/Blue - Illumination
3 - Yellow/Red - Oil Pressure(OTM)
4 - Black - Ground(GND)
5 - Black/Pink - Boost
6 - Green - Ignition(IGN)

The main difference is that on my harness solid black was ground and black with dots was for the dimmer. I spliced everything but Boost and Oil Pressure into the spare cd changer connections in the dash.

Here's a pic of my notes, feel free to PM me if someone finds this and needs clarification.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:17 AM   #50
151octane

Trader Rating: (1)
151octane is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Would you elaborate more on the 300zx oil sender unit install, why does it need a coupler , why cant I just install it directly since since the 300zx sender unit is 1/8 bpt( I believe) just like.the OEM ka24 .
151octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #51
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Success! Thank you to this thread.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #52
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

Did you get the boost gauge to work? Looks like its off the pin in this pic.

Thanks,
Alex R.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #53
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Yes it works, that's just vacuum at idle.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:21 PM   #54
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
So I thought I'd bring this up instead of creating a new one. Just picked one of these up and will be installing it as soon as I can locate a subharness. In the mean time, I got to looking at this thread and my gauges. I really don't like the boost being on the far end and the voltage being closest. While flipping the front plate to aim it to the US drivers side, I found that all 3 individual gauges can be moved around to each spot. The original voltage spot has only 3 of the 4 holes opened, but the boost guage uses that hole for a ground. The hole above it is also a ground, so hopefully that will be enough as that hole on the origianl voltage location is for a different function on the plug(ETS?). I know that this will obviously completely change the wiring diagram around, but that should be plenty easy to figure out. Anyways, here's a pic showing that it can be done. Sorry if this is common knowledge, I haven't seen anyone talking about it. Once I wire it up and get everything working I'll be sure to post which boost sensor I use and how I wired it up.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #55
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
So I thought I'd bring this up instead of creating a new one. Just picked one of these up and will be installing it as soon as I can locate a subharness. In the mean time, I got to looking at this thread and my gauges. I really don't like the boost being on the far end and the voltage being closest. While flipping the front plate to aim it to the US drivers side, I found that all 3 individual gauges can be moved around to each spot. The original voltage spot has only 3 of the 4 holes opened, but the boost guage uses that hole for a ground. The hole above it is also a ground, so hopefully that will be enough as that hole on the origianl voltage location is for a different function on the plug(ETS?). I know that this will obviously completely change the wiring diagram around, but that should be plenty easy to figure out. Anyways, here's a pic showing that it can be done. Sorry if this is common knowledge, I haven't seen anyone talking about it. Once I wire it up and get everything working I'll be sure to post which boost sensor I use and how I wired it up.

Looks good I may need to try this. Your going to want to get the OEM JDM Kouki Boost sensor. Its the only one proven to work.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:01 AM   #56
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Do you by chance have the part number for that sensor?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:08 AM   #57
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
Do you by chance have the part number for that sensor?
I do.

Part Number: 25085-89900
Also found on '91+ Z32 TT models, all R33 turbo models.

R32 too, bitch.

Last edited by KiLLeR2001; 08-27-2015 at 01:04 AM..
KiLLeR2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:02 AM   #58
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

I don't want to hear from you, you bitch <3

Derp, all of that info was shared on the first page
Old 08-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #59
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
I've tried the Z32, R32, R33, and S14 Zenki boost sensors, none of them will work.
Funny this guy has first hand experience and says the Z32, R33 and S14 Zenki Sensors dont work with the Kouki DIN gauges.

Do as you please but I would just make sure to pick up a kouki sensor.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #60
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Just thought I'd share this tid bit of info I found today:

The J30 gauge cluster has the plug needed for these gauges. Obviously a rewire will be needed, but it would have been needed anyways if you're switching the boost guage to the drivers side.