Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-17-2022, 06:29 PM   #1
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Oil change w/ external cooler?

Hey guys, I'm gathering ideas on how to do an oil change on a car with an aftermarket external cooler.

My setup is pretty run of the mill..

N1 oil block
-10 lines
Oil filter relocation w/thermostat
19 row oil cooler

Just guessing, I've got between 4-6 feet of -10 line total in the setup.

I've never done an oil change on the thing since I put it on (didn't put enough miles on it, funny enough) and now that I'm in the planning stage of getting the engine going again, am thinking about changing all the fluids.

For those of you with external oil coolers, how do you go about it? I did some searching, didn't really come up with an answer that I liked. A lot of guys just say screw it and whatever comes out of the pan is what comes out, and they just leave the rest in the system. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Here's my idea, thoughts?

The oil relocation is mounted on the strut tower, so in theory the oil from those two lines should drain back down into the engine naturally.

The other two lines coming off the oil filter block - going to and from the oil cooler need to be disconnected at the oil filter block, and my idea is to hook up one of these pressure test kits..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-900670

and instead of using the flat cap, use a -10 barbed fitting

In theory, I should be able to add pressure (not a ton, just enough to move the fluid) to the one fitting, and it should push the old oil through the lines and the cooler. After that, I could fill as much of the cooler+lines before I hook them back up to the oil filter block.

Am I completely off on this idea, or should this work?
Old 04-18-2022, 01:04 PM   #2
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you just remove the lower of the two cooler lines at the cooler, it should drain both lines and the cooler itself by gravity. Unless you're running like 60 weight oil.

Your idea should work fine.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote