Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-09-2022, 08:41 AM   #1
ViorelP

Trader Rating: (0)
ViorelP is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrow Sr20det and s13 hatch - most common problems with solutions

Please contribute to the community and update the list.

Hello everyone. I had read a lot, but made few posts.
After years of trying to build my s13 hatch sr20det as a fully drift competition car ( light mods), i am almost at the end of the project.
I have a 2nd street s13 with sr20det. I had problems with both of them.

The reason i made this topic is to have an updated and newer list, with better solutions to the most common problems that you can have with your s13 and sr20det and ruin a drift track day or competition.

I searched similar topics but all of them are too old and since then i am 100% sure that people have found better ideas to increase the reliability of their drift/track car so they have a lot of fun without repair the car at every event.

Any problems like: broken rocker arms, heating problems, cracked manifolds, missfires, broken gearbox, broken diff and driveshaft, snapping bolts, and so on. Keep it simple and on right on the subject. Post the solution only if you are sure that it works and you already test it. The hole goal is to have fun and go at events with a better car and ready to abuse and increase seat time

I will start with something that i solved and works, and a problem that ruined my training day today after 10 minutes of drift (cracked manifold or downpipe, too hot to check it)

Problem: sr20det too hot on drift track days
-solution: changed back to clutch fan, reinstalled fan shroud, upgrade the fan with gktech 60% more air, mishimoto/koyo big radiator, upgrade to mishimoto or nismo thermostat and installed an oil cooler the keep the oil also cooler. Never ever had any problems no matter how hard i drive it.

Problem: low oil pressure when drift hard
- solution: upgrade oil pan with high capacity baffled oil pan (greddy or similar)

Problem: sr20det cracked manifold
- solution: not having one, still searching for it. I found that things flexi your downpipe, revving the engine before and after a run to help the heat cycle of manifold to have slower transition from cold to hot and vice versa, or bracing the turbo, may help saving the manifold. Contribute if you have solutions to this problem!
ViorelP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2022, 05:00 PM   #2
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Its 2022, not 2002. Most of this is kind've basic common sense stuff, in my opinion.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote